DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Duesseldorf concert - my opinion

Go down 
+14
TheMagnificentDreamer
Rose1991
MKULTRA
onbackstreetsinbackseats
NeverTrustAJunkie
shredderrrrrr
Anya_TGA
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
mingus
loazis
PPQ
zerb012345
dvddubbingguy
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dvddubbingguy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Empty
PostSubject: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:41 am

and I have been to three GA gigs in the past that I didn't rate high
why do I keep coming back?
so far I have been to six of their shows and only two of them were really good
usually the acoustics at a GA suck but the Duesseldorf show from a few days ago was the biggest sound disaster I ever experienced (and I have been to 300+ concerts in my life!)
and that group of people put together and they call a band...puh...no charisma as single persons and no charisma as a band
just a lame and uninspired group of people on stage
and what the hell about that pre-show package?
anyone bought that shit?
for their fans and THAT price they should at least give you a FLAC download from the whole show afterwards and instead of putting disposable cameras into hands of everybody (results in people taking pictures who would otherwise never have taken photos) they should allow DSLRs or whatever. Hardly anyone brings a good camera to a concert and most wouldn't because they can't shoot photos but some people would for sure make nice photos and videos, share them, etc., in my opinion this would be good publicity but a disposable camera in everyone's hand just results in a pointless shooting contest and the result will be the usual crap photos you see when people pull out their cameras or phones at the shows, nobody looks at these pictures again

I am done with GA for now
hope Brian some day does a more stripped down tour and hires a new sound guy because that guy can't even get a song with just voice and guitar right
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:48 am

Well, sorry for your bad experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 11:23 am

Someone needs a hug
Back to top Go down
PPQ
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Berlin was the opposite, one of the best concerts from the band I see.
Back to top Go down
http://politplatschquatsch.com
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Sorry to hear. You're probably being a tad melodramatic, but okay. I don't know anything about live audio and mixing and whatnot, so I wouldn't know what went wrong if anything. However, maybe you do have a point or two regarding the sound and "collective charisma".

I've been to a fair few Gaslight shows where I only found out two lines in which song they were playing, as it was basically just a wall of muffled sound coming towards ya. Now, I don't know whether that was/is Gaslight's responsibility or if it is more dependent on the venue, but it's something that I hardly ever encounter with other bands of which I basically know all the material.

About the charisma thing, well, let's face it; it's basically all Brian live. Alex R. might occasionally move away from his position on the side of the stage and actually look at the audience or crack a joke, but overall, it's Brian who's interacting, it's Brian who's moving, it's Brian who makes or breaks the show. He's the frontman, he's the focal point. Additionally, if I've understood correctly, Brad is now playing with them on-stage, as well as Ian (?). Say what you want about Ian, but he's not exactly energetic or intriguing to watch, with all due respect. I don't know about Brad, but common sense would suggest that, seeing as he's the tech who's temporarily replacing, he's not going to be doing too many crazy things either.

Still, all things considered, Gaslight shows are pretty magical to me and I have fond and vivid memories of all shows of theirs that I've been to. Each member is just doing their own thing and that's fine by me, as is the quality of sound that sometimes leaves something to be desired. I can't really imagine any Gaslight show being that awful all things considered; I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

(yes I felt like typing a lot)
Back to top Go down
dvddubbingguy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 pm

I work professionally with music
I know all the venues and in the same venues where the GA sound is just awful other acts get it right so GA's soundguy is the one to blame
Brian is young, though I have the feeling the road trips are often too much for him, so many shows just show that
tired, not giving a 100 percent or just a little bored, that is my impression from seeing him live 6 times and I have seen much bigger bands with a much tighter tour schedule who play much longer sets and are MUCH older than Brian, they never give me that impression
their $95 pre-show package just shows how much out of touch they are
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 2:02 pm

The only point where I agree is that the other members lack a bit in charismatic qualities - they don't talk, they don't do anything actually, apart from playing their instruments (and doing that quite good). But I'm not sure if that really is a bad thing: the focus is on Brian, who is entertaining enough to watch for 90 minutes. And I get the impression that they are quite close on the stage, often making inside jokes to one another. I don't mind that the others don't speak as long as Brian keeps his sometimes hilarious on stage banter.

And I've seen them over 10 times now, and I honestly can say that to me they never came off as bored. Even when they seem tired, they (especially Brian) always try to make the show memorable, and I think that's one of the most important things I like about them. Sound issues: yes, sometimes, but mostly at festivals, I never had an issue with that in a club.

I also don't really understand how you can try to watch the same band six times if they always disappoint you. And I don't get the point you're trying to make: are you trying to convince yourself that they're not that good, or are you trying to convince the other people are that that's the case? Each to his own truth, I'd say...

And about the preshowpackage: that discussion has been going on quite long enough now, I think. My point of view: if you don't want to give the money for the preshow, then don't do it. Nobody is forcing you, and you can still go to the shows without the preshow. End of story. And judging on the reactions to the preshows, I get the feeling that most people enjoyed it. I paid the money for the preshow in Brussels in a couple of days, that was my own choice, I know what to expect, and if it turns out to be not really what I wanted, then I'll have mostly myself to blame.
Back to top Go down
dvddubbingguy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 2:20 pm

I love the albums, I love the band, so I keep going to the shows...
Maybe they have a different sound guy over in Europe or where are you from? Are we talking about the same venues? Seen them in Cologne three times, two times in Duesseldorf and once in Bielefeld.
Their live sound is the worst there is from what I can tell from the shows I witnessed but then again, others don't experience it that way because they are used to bad sound or you could say "love is blindless" or in that case "love is deafness"
At the Duesseldorf show three of my friends left before the show ended. They never do that but for being the first in line in the parking lot and knowing whatever songs they miss it wouldn't matter you can really make a judgement on this particular show. It was just bad or it was good but because of the awful sound it didn't reach you unless you are stoned and just there to jump into each other etc.
if you are into music the way I am and want to listen to a band, watch the band, observe, get into the groove, etc. there needs to be at least a sound you can listen to.
The crowd that day was lame and not into it, a half packed venue, you look around and see that the venue is shortened and you know it is.
It all doesn't fit together, Brian is aiming too high, he should play smaller venues, get the sound right and not have those ridiculous pre-show packages.
Most people don't even know about them but the fact that the venue is not filled somehow affects your subconcioucness, paired with the bad sound, having their pre-show package in mind...that makes it hard to enjoy the show if you are not a die-hard fan (the kind who would enjoy if Brian is reading the bible)
If you are a critical person: this Duesseldorf show was not for you. It's me saying that. One who didn't enjoy some of their shows before. But my friends enjoyed them all so far. But this one: No.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Of course, I wasn't in Dusseldorf, so it's hard for me to judge that gig in specific. I'm from Belgium and I saw them 2x in an indoor gig in Brussels (Ancienne Belgique), 5x at Belgian festivals (3x Rock Werchter, Dour, Pukkelpop), 1x in London (Troxy) and 1x in Los Angeles (The Wiltern). The only time I had a bit of an issue with the sound was at the second time at Rock Werchter.

Sometimes when I see snippets of their gigs on Youtube, I'm kind of concerned with the sound quality, but I always think that that has more to do with the mediocre recording device than with the performance itself. Just because I never had any troubles with that myself. But I'm seeing them again for the first time in 1,5 year on Monday, so I guess we'll see what happens. But speaking of bigger/smaller venues: here in Brussels they're coming back to the place where they played two and four years ago, and where they aced it. I can easily imagine it going the same way, and I don't really expect too much sound troubles with the same band in the same venue...

It's not that I'm not a critical person, but so far I have little to be critical about with them... I like what they do and I have always enjoyed their shows so far.. It's a shame if that's not the case with you, but again, I think the preshow package is a whole other discussion than the one about quality band/gigs/sound
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

DVDGuy I dont know if I quite understand why you brought this up on, especially on a page with many hard core fans? I dont have a problem with it, its free speech and all that, but why?
Back to top Go down
dvddubbingguy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:05 pm

why not? it's a forum to share experiences/feelings, no?
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Yeah but it feels a bit like going on the message board of a certain football team and then trying to convince the others that that team sucks.

If I'd think that Gaslight plays crappy live shows, I probably wouldn't be here.
Back to top Go down
dvddubbingguy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:32 pm

you got me, I am a troll
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:35 pm

We all have things we dont like about the band, but some things feel a little too attacking to share in a place where we all REALLY like the band.
Youre right about it being a forum, and posting opinions though.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:51 pm

I don’t believe there was necessarily anything wrong with the idea of dvdguy coming on here and sharing his experience. Maybe I can offer a different perspective on what I think he was trying to communicate.

From surface level it might come across a little harsh. I chalk that up to a gut reaction and or initial post. Many times for myself, not only TGA but in general, if I’m disappointed, and immediately try to talk about it, it will come across way worse than if I had let some time pass. You may have a great point too. But if you don’t communicate it an a well, thought out, manner people wont listen.

It’s for this reason I always recommend to people on here, and in life in general, wait before you post. Once the sting fades you’ll be able to communicate a lot more rationally and people will be less defensive if you communicate that way.

Now why come on here and post about this? Well, I view it more of him asking if anyone has been feeling disappointed in the live shows. He’s reaching out looking for a connection with other people and maybe an answer to what he’s been seeing. After all, for me at least, TGA is a major part of our life. In life we all identify with certain things that define us as people. If all of a sudden something that means so much to you is not matching up to what it used to that can be scary. Maybe you’re just reaching out for that connection.

So, is the post written in the calmest manner? No. But it doesn’t make it any less valid. Offer some friendly advice or empathy, or perspective. It could mean a lot to them.

------

But I guess mod wise, just watch how you word stuff in the future. Not everyone can read what your intent is, but were all happy to listen.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Well said, Deb. I agree. It came across wrong...its hard, we dont know what the tone was based on text. It WAS interesting to read a negative post though, and see an opinion we dont see often.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Fuck the subject of this topic... really
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Fuck the subject of this topic... really

I just can totally agree!
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 2:02 am

My only real issue with dvdguy's comments are his complaints about the pre show. Clearly the price isn't too outrageous considering how many people are doing it. Obviously it is pricey though--what would be the point of an exclusive pre-show if everyone could afford it?
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 5:16 am

This is from Dusseldorf. Doesn't sound bad to me...? scratch
Back to top Go down
onbackstreetsinbackseats
A Contender
A Contender
onbackstreetsinbackseats

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 10:50 am

Good or bad this should be a place to talk about these things and vent frustrations. Whether people like it or not. Personally I think the band is getting a little boring live. I went to the Philly show where Benny had to leave and was kind of disapointed at the acoustic set. I needed a pick me up and all that did was put me to sleep. I'm a bigger Jimmy Eat World fan. Maybe that was the problem. It was cool to see though. Also ending on a cover song is weak. Especially one that another band does better. For me the worst thing they could do was drop Backseats from the set list. As far as the sound goes I've never experienced terrible sound. It depends on where you stand or if the show is outside. I thought the pre show stuff was a good idea just not presented the right way.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 am

You'll be glad to see that they put Backseat back on in Europe, for now Smile But now Dark Places is out, and that's kind of sad as well.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 1:21 pm

onbackstreetsinbackseats wrote:
Good or bad this should be a place to talk about these things and vent frustrations. Whether people like it or not. Personally I think the band is getting a little boring live. I went to the Philly show where Benny had to leave and was kind of disapointed at the acoustic set. I needed a pick me up and all that did was put me to sleep. I'm a bigger Jimmy Eat World fan. Maybe that was the problem. It was cool to see though. Also ending on a cover song is weak. Especially one that another band does better. For me the worst thing they could do was drop Backseats from the set list. As far as the sound goes I've never experienced terrible sound. It depends on where you stand or if the show is outside. I thought the pre show stuff was a good idea just not presented the right way.

I can definitely see the whole "Gaslight is boring" argument (aside from Brian and, to an extent, Benny, though drummers are almost always ignored on stage). If you were going to a Gaslight show for the performance itself, I think many would be let down.

Personally, I would pay to see Gaslight 100 more times if I could, simply because, for me, it is all about the music. They could play it sitting down in a circle and I wouldn't care so long as they were playing it with heart. But if someone wanted a concert like, say, Foxy Shazam or the Hold Steady, Gaslight would be a letdown.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I could not have been more bored with The Hold Steady the couple of times I've seen them. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 9:22 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I could not have been more bored with The Hold Steady the couple of times I've seen them. To each his own.

I almost qualified my statement with "BAGIA-era Hold Steady." When touring Separation Sunday, BAGIA, and, to a lesser extent, Stay Positive, they were phenomenal. At least at the shows I went to, I was floored. Most of my friends refer to them as the best shows they've ever been to. I still remember the first time seeing them when Craig looked like he was going to explode from joy, Galen threw money into the crowd, and they brought everyone on stage.

When you saw them was it after Franz left? I noticed a complete change in the band when Franz left and Steve joined. The few times I saw them after Franz left, they were uninspired and boring. I lost most of my interest in the band. Though I recently saw them in support of Teeth Dreams and they were like their old selves--completely energetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duesseldorf concert - my opinion   Duesseldorf concert - my opinion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duesseldorf concert - my opinion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next