DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7

Go down 
+25
ACA
ivienco
zerb012345
rem999
macci
LiveFastDieOld
fatbench
The_River
Zach_Edelman
aaydmc2
dustinpardue
jensomniac
bt211
GlennR
steady now steady now
StitchesOnTheRadio
MKULTRA
Rizz
TGAFAN25
cmigs
flannel
Shrewsbury_Stars
riversedge
Debonair
miked331
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
fatbench
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm here and still looking for a +1 from a kind soul. I'll give you the boots off my feet!
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

fatbench wrote:
I'm here and still looking for a +1 from a kind soul. I'll give you the boots off my feet!
like Chuck Ragan did with Dan Ozzi after he complimented him for his boots? Razz http://noisey.vice.com/blog/chuck-ragan-literally-gave-me-the-shoes-off-his-feet
Back to top Go down
fatbench
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Mine are actually skate shoes, but in a manner of speaking, YES!
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 pm

That was awesome
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:19 am

The new songs sounded incredible

Stay Vicious
Rollin' And Tumblin'
Ain't That A Shame
Stray Paper
Helter Skeleton
Get Hurt
Red Violins
The '59 Sound
Sweet Morphine
Underneath The Ground
1,000 Years
Selected Poems
The House of the Rising Sun
Great Expectations
Dark Places
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:25 am

One of the most exciting Gaslight shows in quite some time due to all the song debuts. The band was very well rehearsed and there were lots of great performances.

Highlights: "Red Violins" was tremendous. "1000 Years" worked well as expected. "Selected Poems" was unexpectedly strong live.

I thought "Sweet Morphine" was the only weak link among the new song performances. The "House of the Rising Sun" cover was the only other misstep of the night.

"Get Hurt" (the song) is a favorite but it has potential to be better. I wondered if Brian was perhaps holding back a little in his voice as it was earlier in the show. Overall, it bears particular mention how good he sounded.

"Dark Places" will be a show-stopper, particularly if they use it to end the main set once they are doing full-length shows. Brian's vocal and Alex L.'s echo on the chorus ("if I thought it would help, I would carve your name into my arm") was the defining moment of the night.

Instrumentation: Alex R. played keyboards and guitar on "Get Hurt;" keyboards on "Sweet Morphine" and "Underneath the Ground." Ian played the slide lead on "Sweet Morphine." Alex L. sang the backing vocals on all the new songs; didn't think I saw Alex R. sing all night.

A quick note on concert etiquette: it is really time -- in fact, long overdue -- to put the fucking phones away. Especially if you are down front.

Nobody begrudges you a few photos. But holding up the phone all night or shooting video of 5 or 7 or 10 songs is just not acceptable if one is in the front and blocking others' view. You came to watch a live show and not on a screen.
Back to top Go down
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 am

Here are some video clips, photos, and the setlist from tonight.

Pretty underwhelming, boring show by the band's standards. Nice to see them at the old CBGBs, but you didn't really get the full experience with awful security and the low energy. 59, GE, and the cover were awesome, though. Not sure how this is going to work at their amphitheater show next month.. but I guess if everyone is sitting down anyway they don't mind being bored to begin with.
Back to top Go down
http://sonicawareness.net
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 am

Lol could you have two more different reviews back to back? Were you guys at the same show?
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 am

Seriously I don't get that last review. For the first time out playing pretty much all new songs it was fantastic.

Lots of energy. Tight as hell.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 4:25 am

miked331 wrote:
Seriously I don't get that last review.

"Haters Gonna Hate"
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 4:44 am

"and the low energy"
Yes. When us people down in the front row had the entire room rush forward and push us into the stage, we were all thinking "Wow, what low energy." scratch 
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 am

I really want a video of 1000 years and Selected Poems right now...
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 7:33 am

we need more reviews! also, did Alex L. sound good?? I'm glad they're actually doing some backing stuff again.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 8:41 am

Anyone with boots or pictures/video? Really interested in hearing this.
Back to top Go down
macci
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

Had a great time after moving around a few times. The guys sounded f'n great!! LOVED 1,000 Years live.

I will say there was a lot of people in there who weren't even familiar with the band & were there for the free booze.
(it was like they just kept letting people in!)
Back to top Go down
aaydmc2
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:15 am

Awesome show last night. Thought they sounded as good as I've ever seen them. I've never seen Brian as happy either. He was really getting into 59 sound and Great Expectations.

Back to top Go down
fatbench
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:41 am

I went last night hoping that someone's +1 would bail on them and I could go in with them. Instead I looked on google maps when I got there around 5:30 and saw a dead end alley that looked like it went behind the store. Sure enough, the alley led to the back door, which was across from a lobster roll shop. I ordered a lobster roll and a beer and within a few minutes the whole band was in this patio area right next to me. Shooting promotional photos, discussing the setlist, talking to friends, etc. It was really cool, it was like hanging backstage. I didn't want to just walk up and ask the band to get me into the show, but I was in the right place at the right time when someone from the store came to talk to the staff at the lobster shop, and offered them bracelets to get in. One of the guys gave me his bracelet since he had other plans for the night (and wasn't familiar with gaslight).

Awesome experience. Part of me wishes I had spoken to the band, but I didn't want to impose. It was special enough getting to hear Brian and Alex L discuss plans for the show while enjoying a delicious lobster roll.

As for the show, I enjoyed it. I would have liked a few more songs not from the new record, but that's not what this show was about. It was cool to be a part of this special show with the band trying their new songs out. I liked when they had to stop and restart, I felt like it communicated a level of trust between the mostly fan club crowd and the band.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:46 am

That's a great story!!!
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am

Wow perfect timing indeed!! I would've felt exactly like you.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Any boots of this show available yet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 pm

macci wrote:
Had a great time after moving around a few times. The guys sounded f'n great!! LOVED 1,000 Years live.

I will say there was a lot of people in there who weren't even familiar with the band & were there for the free booze.
(it was like they just kept letting people in!)

woah woah woah, free booze? and I thought I couldn't get any more sad about not getting to go  Mad 
Back to top Go down
dustinpardue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes there were a lot of people there who didn't care about the music at all. Especially in the back, people weren't even paying attention. But then again the music was barely audible unless you moved up close to the band. This is the only video I've come across so far.
https://youtu.be/aj4XT_BVoZU
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 3:51 am

Hey I posted my recap: http://www.examiner.com/article/concert-review-the-gaslight-anthem-play-john-varvatos-store (link to the photos is in the article)  sunny 
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Hey I posted my recap: http://www.examiner.com/article/concert-review-the-gaslight-anthem-play-john-varvatos-store (link to the photos is in the article)  sunny 

Thank you!!! - I absolutely LOVE your pictures. You captured such great moments. You should be hired as the official band photographer  Cool !

Great write-up as well. I just saw Cat Popper in MA the other day with the Puss n Boots project.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks!

Yeah she is everywhere! Talented lady.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7   Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight at Varvatos Bowery 8/7
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next