DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian's musical recommendations

Go down 
+8
Harbortown
The_River
matkins
HolyBreakOfDay
StitchesOnTheRadio
Steve70s
CapedAvenger
steady now steady now
12 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Brian's musical recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 am

On 18 June Brian tweeted:

"Sam Smith album preorder received today! @samsmithworld everybody get on this."

So I thought 'ok' and ordered the album unheard.  Not quite what I expected and not quite what I'd usually pick, but I see why Brian would have recommended it (both sonically and lyrically) and I must admit that I really like it.

Has anyone else followed up any of Brian's recommendations?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:27 am

I wouldn't have bought any Fake Problems if TGA hadn't covered one of their tracks, and i think Brian said good things about them on his old blog (remember that?!?!) or Twitter. So i've picked up a couple of good albums there that i otherwise wouldn't have.

I recently listened to Better Sense on the basis of the implicit recommendation in "45", but didn't think much to it.

So what's the Sam Smith album like? Who could you compare him to?
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan - got back into them again recently - maybe Springsteen, too.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:44 am

Good shout on Springsteen. I used to like him as a kid - my dad played a lot of his stuff. But i love him more than ever since i got into TGA.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 am

Yeah - I grew up when Springsteen was a big star along with Madonna and Michael Jackson etc - took me a while to backtrack to Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge of Town.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm

With the exception of Springsteen, Pearl Jam, and Tom Petty, and a few others, pretty much everything I currently listen to is because of recommendations he's made or artists he's played with/been associated with (okay, I'm exaggerating a little). Some of which I'd already heard of and just never made an effort to listen to much; The Bouncing Souls, The Clash, Bob Dylan, etc. And some I'd never heard of; The National, Dave Hause, Chamberlain, etc.

Pre-Gaslight I was convinced that all music after the 90s sucked, and I was picky about the classics. Gaslight in general opened up a whole other world of music for me!

Sam Smith has a very nice voice.

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Not really a recommendation but when I heard that a singer called Mat Mays was gonna sing on some songs of the new album, I listened and I really love it.
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
matkins
A Contender
A Contender
matkins

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm

This isn't through Brian specifically, but through Gaslight in general, I've found out about Frank Turner, Tim Barry, Chuck Ragan, Against Me, Fake Problems and more. I've also fallen back in love with bands like the Bouncing Souls that I listened to before I found Gaslight in 2009. I think I found Jason Isbell and Cory Branan directly from Brian's tweets. So happy that I gave them a chance.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Brian once said he likes the 1st Tori Amos record. So Tori Amos, mostly...

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/01/the-many-influences-of-brian-fallon/
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm

I saw Sam Smith live a couple days back and he was nothing short of amazing. Truly one of the greatest concerts I've witnessed, despite not knowing a single song.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Afghan Whigs and Tom Waits have been huge for me when Brian recommended them leading up to the making of Elsie on his blog
Back to top Go down
Erik Drost
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Erik Drost

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:04 am

I remember Brian recommended Gregory Alan Isakov on Instagram.. Great album!

Back to top Go down
rotmitweißenpunkten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

uh, i love this thread!! i allways listen very closly about what brian is recommending!! because of him i started listening to: bruce springsteen (of course), frank turner, hot water music, chuck reagan, jawbreaker, pearl jam, bouncing souls, replacements...some of them i heard of before, some never..but actually starting to really listen to them came because of brian, and for that i am very very thankfull!!!
especially the bouncing souls!! heard the name before, now listening to them since three years..just loving them!!! but also the others..all great bands!! love getting tips from brian in interviews for new music!!
Back to top Go down
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:05 am

Brand New is pretty solid. Brian covered Sowing Season, and I danced around youtube listening to them for awhile. Shout out to Cory Branan. He is one of the funniest people you will ever meet. I also looked into Tony Sly because of Gaslight's cover of "Capo 4th fret," which needs to be heard by all (either version). Basically everything said above as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian's musical recommendations   Brian's musical recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian's musical recommendations
Page 1 of 1