DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call

Go down 
+10
DeathoftheCool
The Last Jukebox Romeo
_rebekka_
bt211
zerb012345
HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD
brianisbae
HeroOfVirtue
lol_paul_ledoux
StitchesOnTheRadio
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Empty
PostSubject: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Anyone else goin to the show tomorrow night?
Back to top Go down
lol_paul_ledoux
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 am

hell ya. me, my girlfriend. her brother (whom I had no idea liked gaslight anthem), and a few of our friends that live in Providence. So stoked
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

I'll be there! Hoping for Meet Me By the River's Edge, National Anthem, or Changing of the Guards.

I've never been to Lupo's, anyone know about parking around the venue?

EDIT: P.S. if anyone needs a ticket, I seem to have an extra.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm

According to Lupo's website there are some lots around the venue and a mall nearby with a parking garage. Hopefully at least one of these options is free!
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I'll be there! let me know if there's cheap parking. it's gonna be a great time - i'm hoping for mae, wherefore art thou elvis, and orphans
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm

The garage at Providence Place is $2 for up to five hours, and $10 for up to 8 hours. It's a 10-15 minute walk according to mapquest. Not bad!
Back to top Go down
HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Possible DVD tonight????:
1st time poster,long time lurker. Psyched for tonights show!

Does it seem that the band may be looking past this show, and gearing up for tomorrow in "Boston"? some recent facebook posts have been pumping up tomorrow's show. For the "fans-" this Providence show is basically a "Boston" show, as its only 45 mins away. This is also a proper gaslight anthem show VS a festival which they are playing tomorrow. Been waiting 6 months for this....

Here's hoping they snap their "funk tonight"....switch things up, and let it all hang out.

I heard a rumor that they are recording the show tonight for a possible DVD that will look something like this:

Gaslight Anthem- Lupos Heartbreak Hotel 9/6/2013

MAE
Wooderson
I'da called you woody, joe
handwritten
halloween
Miles Davis and the Cool
too much blood
Film Noir
The BackSeat
State of love and Trust (Pearl Jam cover)
Meet me by the rivers edge
American Slang

Encore1
Blue Jeans (Fallon Solo)
National Anthem (Fallon Solo)
Boxer (Full Band-slow version)
Angry Johnny and the Radio
'59 Sound

Encore 2
Great Expectations

bounce

no there is absolutely no truth to the "rumor", but who knows...crazier things have happened

Last edited by HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm

HeroOfVirtue wrote:
The garage at Providence Place is $2 for up to five hours, and $10 for up to 8 hours. It's a 10-15 minute walk according to mapquest. Not bad!
There is plenty of parking around the venue on the street if you are willing to walk 10-15 mins. Providence place is a hike to Lupos.
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:44 pm

HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD wrote:
HeroOfVirtue wrote:
There is plenty of parking around the venue on the street if you are willing to walk 10-15 mins. Providence place is a hike to Lupos.
Haha ok, that's good to know.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:18 pm

I REALLY wanted to go to this show, but couldn't make it. If someone could record some (or all) of the audio or video that would be greatly appreciated....if the venue's ok with it.
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Just arrived...a little early, but I expected more traffic. Well, better early than late!
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Woo anyone else up at the front right now? Haha
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Yeah, front row, stage left! Me and my dad. Apologies to anyone behind us mammoths.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 5:56 am

HEART_LIMB_KEYBOARD wrote:
Possible DVD tonight????:
1st time poster,long time lurker. Psyched for tonights show!

Does it seem that the band may be looking past this show, and gearing up for tomorrow in "Boston"? some recent facebook posts have been pumping up tomorrow's show. For the "fans-" this Providence show is basically a "Boston" show, as its only 45 mins away. This is also a proper gaslight anthem show VS a festival which they are playing tomorrow. Been waiting 6 months for this....

Here's hoping they snap their "funk tonight"....switch things up, and let it all hang out.

I heard a rumor that they are recording the show tonight for a possible DVD that will look something like this:

Gaslight Anthem- Lupos Heartbreak Hotel 9/6/2013

MAE
Wooderson
I'da called you woody, joe
handwritten
halloween
Miles Davis and the Cool
too much blood
Film Noir
The BackSeat
State of love and Trust (Pearl Jam cover)
Meet me by the rivers edge
American Slang

Encore1
Blue Jeans (Fallon Solo)
National Anthem (Fallon Solo)
Boxer (Full Band-slow version)
Angry Johnny and the Radio
'59 Sound

Encore 2
Great Expectations

bounce

no there is absolutely no truth to the "rumor", but who knows...crazier things have happened
Uh, I'd bet they didn't record it tonight, but who knows. I was far more concerned with the insane (and a little strange) crowd. Who knew Rhode Island had rowdy fans.

That set list could not be more far off from what they actually played so I have no idea where you got that.

Couple things about the show:

This was the roughest show I've been too since the Handwritten album release show and security was pretty crappy (but better than nothing). Like half the people on the barricade at the start, were not there by the end because they were forced out.

Funny story actually. I was on the barricade towards the center because I lined up at like 3pm. Some lady who I saw arrive around 6 (she was pretty memorable looking) was 2nd row dead center, and she asked the girls in front of her if they could "move over" so she could share the barricade. Now, it's not like there was lots of space on the barricade to share, we were all shoulder to shoulder by then. I heard her say this and saw the concerned looks on the faces of the girls she was talking to so I turned to her and said "No, I'm sorry we got here earlier. You're welcome to go to the sides and we could maybe shift more to the center." She complained, and I said "I'm sorry but I got here before you, so did they, and I'm not moving." (Keep in mind she was not elderly or a child or something who maybe needed to hold onto something). And she basically called me a bitch after that. But no worries, she shoved her way in on the first song Rolling Eyes 

On a brighter note, the band sounded great, they seemed super relaxed. I think they were even playing a lot slower and mostly slow songs because the crowd was so insane? I could be imagining things but there were fewer fast songs than usual, and Brian's expression often seemed like he was either distracted or concerned by some of the stuff going on in the crowd. But the show was overall enjoyable. Also some girl threw her bra on stage and Alex L paraded around with it. It was quite amusing.

And I'm just gonna say this, Providence is fucking weird. No offense if any of you live there.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:00 am

The "bra incident" was pretty funny. Also, Brian gave a shout out to the group of European fans who had made the Dave Hause sticks for one of the shows there. He said they held the sticks up during American Slang when Dave Hause would typically come out and join the song and to put that thought into it was very appreciated by the band. Thought I'd mention it as these fans may be on DSS and reading this.
The crowd was definitely rougher than the last time I saw Gaslight at Lupo's. There was a cluster in the middle that pushed everybody from their spots. She didn't bother me but I couldn't believe the one girl who crowdsurfed at least twenty times toward the stage as if she was practicing to work at the circus or something.
On to Boston Calling today Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
lol_paul_ledoux
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 pm

the bra signing/dave hause face thing was pretty awesome. i love that they played blue dahlia and halloween. I feel like they play a pretty good mix of from their whole discography. I wish they played more of sink or swim or 59 sound and less off of Handwritten just because the older songs get a pretty crowd reaction. but overall I had a good time. also, i wish they brought a better opener with them. i didnt see the first band but the takebacks i think they were called where boring as fuck.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Aw you missed Gates? They were by far the better of the two openers. They get boring after a while, at least in my opinion because you can never hear a damn word they're saying (even on their albums) but they have a sound that kinda is a cross between epic and tranquil if that makes any sense. Like they sound awesome but it also kinda lets your mind wander and relaxes you a bit. I wish the second opener had at least just been more interesting because my energy level was like zero after both bands went off because Gates calmed me and the sidekicks bored me a bit too.

Also like halfway through Brian was like encouraging people to dance. I could be wrong but I think that was his way of being like "can you not kill each other on songs like biloxi parish and just dance?" because the crowd was not reacting to songs being slower or whatever, it was just chaos basically the whole time, haha. He talked a lot, and I think part of it was to slow down the show. It didn't work, people were pushing when nothing was going on. I actually felt like there weren't a lot of big fans there because there wasn't as much singing along as usual, and like i said people were crowd surfing at weird times and some of the ones around me like didn't react at all to half the songs. Idk it was a weird crowd, but I've been in worse and the show was great so can't complain!
Back to top Go down
_rebekka_
A Contender
A Contender
_rebekka_

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm

bt211 wrote:
Also, Brian gave a shout out to the group of European fans who had made the Dave Hause sticks for one of the shows there. He said they held the sticks up during American Slang when Dave Hause would typically come out and join the song and to put that thought into it was very appreciated by the band. Thought I'd mention it as these fans may be on DSS and reading this. 
Thanks for posting this!!! This just made my day! :)It were my friends and I who did this. We had so much fun preparing it and we were hoping the band would like it and it seemed like they did but knowing they were even talking about it at a show in the US is really amazing!!! Glad they liked it!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Sounds like a strange sort of evening from all the feedback. Not necessarily bad, just different. Does anyone have the full setlist?
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 pm

_rebekka_ wrote:
bt211 wrote:
Also, Brian gave a shout out to the group of European fans who had made the Dave Hause sticks for one of the shows there. He said they held the sticks up during American Slang when Dave Hause would typically come out and join the song and to put that thought into it was very appreciated by the band. Thought I'd mention it as these fans may be on DSS and reading this. 
Thanks for posting this!!! This just made my day! :)It were my friends and I who did this. We had so much fun preparing it and we were hoping the band would like it and it seemed like they did but knowing they were even talking about it at a show in the US is really amazing!!! Glad they liked it!!! Smile
Yeah I saw that when Brian posted it on his (former) Instagram, nicely done because that was pretty inventive and amusing High Five
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:51 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Also like halfway through Brian was like encouraging people to dance. I could be wrong but I think that was his way of being like "can you not kill each other on songs like biloxi parish and just dance?" because the crowd was not reacting to songs being slower or whatever, it was just chaos basically the whole time, haha. He talked a lot, and I think part of it was to slow down the show. It didn't work, people were pushing when nothing was going on. I actually felt like there weren't a lot of big fans there because there wasn't as much singing along as usual, and like i said people were crowd surfing at weird times and some of the ones around me like didn't react at all to half the songs. Idk it was a weird crowd, but I've been in worse and the show was great so can't complain!
That's how the crowd was in Ventura this April. Fucking weird. Also the roughest crowd I've ever been in
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 am

I recommend checking out the Sidekick's album Awkward Breeds. The mixing was awful at the show but I still thought they were really good cause I knew most of the songs. I definitely see what you're saying about it being a weird show - there were people who didn't seem to know most of their songs and were more interested in pushing and shoving. Sorry if I bumped into anyone, I was trying to keep my spot (which I eventually lost, haha). Gaslight absolutely killed it though. It was nice seeing him talk to the crowd the way he did cause the last couple times I saw them it didn't feel as intimate. I was getting annoyed with some of the people though cause I'm not a big guy so I was getting thrown all over the place, but it was still one of the best times I've seen them. I was really hoping they'd play Mae but it would be selfish of me to say that affected the experience in any way.

I think the new album is going to be their best so far. I've been saying that about everything Brian has done since the '59 Sound, but based on recent events and how Brian seems to have some stuff going on in his life I think the album will be very dark and very beautiful. I love songs about girls but I just connect more with songs like Halloween and Handwritten. I know he doesn't like the Bruce comparisons but I really think the new album will be their Darkness and since that's one of my favorite albums of all time (some of my favorite lyrics are on that album) I'm very very excited about it and I hope they continue to get bigger and better cause they're awesome people and really deserve it.

Another thing about the show that I really liked was when he said something along the lines of how they used to be awkward kids like us and now they've grown up to be awkward adults - as someone who's insanely awkward and uncomfortable around people for whatever reason, it made me feel very comfortable. Like I was where I belonged, and I think that's what's so special about Gaslight. Not everyone knows about them but a lot of the people who do really connect with them on a deep level cause they're not trying to be anyone but themselves - and i think that's important since so many bands go through weird identity crises. i'm rambling here, but I hardly ever post here anymore so i figured I'd say a lot haha
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 1:15 am

That's an awesome post!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 1:40 am

I thought Gates were awesome! They're kinda in the vein of Taking Back Sunday/Finch/Thursday (Standing On The Edge of Summer-ish) if you like that type of music. Go here: http://gatesnj.com/videos/ and check out the short At The End of All Things live and that's a good idea of what they're like.

I thought that the crowd was great from where I was standing. More high energy than NY/NJ shows I've been to lately (aside from Irving Plaza).

Aw Providence isn't weird. Unless you count a drunk guy calling you a pussy for not going home with him to the Cape, asking you if you're into anal and offering you $10 to dance with him during Gaslight "weird." Rolling Eyes Yay security guy on my side of the floor for removing that guy from our section!

I still am not sure what the Led Zeppelin story was. People were yelling in my ear so I didn't hear all of it Sad Something about how Jimmy Page didn't even have to be on stage and people would continue clapping for him.

Last night's highlight for me was Blue Dahlia. I'm not sure why. I was just particularly happy to hear that one last night.

Here's a setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-gaslight-anthem/2013/lupos-heartbreak-hotel-providence-ri-23c654bf.html

Also, note to girls who wear short, unflattering mini skirts and heels so high you look like you're walking on stilts: Just stop it.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 2:07 am

EDIT: Just saw Lorraine's post. That setlist looks accurate.

Here's my copy of the original setlist. You'll notice there are a couple repeats (blue jeans and patient ferris wheel) one of which is crossed out. Boomboxes was NOT played. Benny commented to us afterwards that it was a long set but 22 doesn't seem long. The show seemed longer than normal though. I recall them going on close to 9:50ish but everyone else I talk to seems to remember it more like 10:10. They ended around 11:45. So even if it wasn't a long set, it was at least not a short one.

Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Photo-11

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call   Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lupo's 9/6/13 Roll Call
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next