DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Standard Tuning

Go down 
+7
BereasaTGA
DeathoftheCool
Jack
Holland
cmigs
StitchesOnTheRadio
Unorthadox1080
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Just wondering if playing whole sets in standard tuning is a new thing or has it being happening of and on for years?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 pm

I believe it's new. No idea how permanent of a choice it is.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Were the Asbury and Australia sets in standard tuning? Haven't heard any shows from either run so far.
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:23 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I believe it's new. No idea how permanent of a choice it is.
I hope it's permanent. For the majority of songs it sounds great, too much blood and here's looking at you kid were the only ones I felt weren't as good from what I saw.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

I have always played along with Gaslight songs in standard. There aren't many songs that actually require you to play chords in the lower register. The riff in Mae however is awkward to play without being a tone lower.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm

The Asbury shows were in standard tuning. And no, they had never done it before this year.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Holland wrote:
I have always played along with Gaslight songs in standard. There aren't many songs that actually require you to play chords in the lower register. The riff in Mae however is awkward to play without being a tone lower.

Well, since so many of the songs are in Bb you can generally just strum C-shape chords if you tune down, which are a breeze for pretty much anyone.

Also, I wonder if a lot of the songs on the next album are going to be in C for this reason.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 pm

I always used to put a capo on the 3rd fret and play in G when the songs were in Bb, which most of them are.
Now the songs are easier to play since they're in standard, but many of em are out of my singing range Neutral
It will be interesting if they decide to do the next album in standard tuning
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
I always used to put a capo on the 3rd fret and play in G when the songs were in Bb, which most of them are.
Now the songs are easier to play since they're in standard, but many of em are out of my singing range Neutral
It will be interesting if they decide to do the next album in standard tuning

I did the capo thing too. Now I just play them in C because it's easier for my voice (I'm a tenor).
Back to top Go down
BereasaTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BereasaTGA

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 6:00 pm

one thing I don't get is why if they play in standard tuning, when playing Here comes my man Brian still puts the capo on the fifth fret
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:42 am

Because the lead guitar is still in standard
Back to top Go down
BereasaTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BereasaTGA

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:14 am

Unorthadox1080 wrote:

ok. I don't get that, I mean, when I play Here come my man y put the capo on the third fret and I think I play it the same way Brian does with the capo on the fifth that is Em-D-C9-G
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 6:36 pm

BereasaTGA wrote:
one thing I don't get is why if they play in standard tuning, when playing Here comes my man Brian still puts the capo on the fifth fret

Maybe because he thinks it sounds better with the capo on or maybe because it's easier to sing that way
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:13 pm

BereasaTGA wrote:

He puts the capo on the fifth fret but plays G-shape chords. This gives it a "janglier" feel because the chords are higher and brighter-sounding. I'm sure he does this to approximate the feeling of the Byrds/Petty/etc.
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 pm

BereasaTGA wrote:
Unorthadox1080 wrote:

ok. I don't get that, I mean, when I play Here come my man y put the capo on the third fret and I think I play it the same way Brian does with the capo on the fifth that is  Em-D-C9-G
ahh sorry get you now
Back to top Go down
Unorthadox1080
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

one thing I'm not sure about in the whole standard tuning thing is what is happening with the bass as alex used to just drop the e string down to a d so now does that mean he's tuning the other 3 strings up a fret so he's doing something like E,B,E,A or just changing the frets he plays in each song
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 4:40 am

As much as I respect bands trying new things, most of the songs from T'59S don't really sound great in E standard. I really like the whole step down tuning, it does bring some low ends making these songs a little darker.

The made in America 2013 video on youtube is in standard I guess? This show is not so good to me. I like the hurricane fest 2013 video the most.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm

They played Hurricane in standard...
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes, I figured that. Just sayin' that the show at hurricane was better to my ears. Nevermind.
Back to top Go down
Asampson930
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:59 am

Personally 45 and biloxi parish are wayyyyyy too high in standard tuning and other than that im starting to get used to the standard songs but do like D better. Out of all the standard songs i think the patient ferris wheel the best. Also i can see why they cant change tunings since brad clifford is the guitar tech for at least Alex R and brian, and i think ian and alex L too (they dont really change guitars though so idk)
Back to top Go down
Italian__Fallon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Italian__Fallon

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 am

I don't like this choice. The singing of the song sometimes is bad.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, but it was sometimes bad before as well. I actually think there was a noticeable improvement in Brian's voice when they switched to standard tuning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Standard Tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Tuning   Standard Tuning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Standard Tuning
Page 1 of 1