DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)

Go down 
+86
23Punk
ral
angryjohnny27
mja271
BereasaTGA
Forum Owner
jonnyz83
kappanera
No Retreat
bigbug
The Angry Johnny Revue
lo
brunswick18
Rizz
Hasler09
TheEmptyBones
The_River
matkins
'49mercury
Prisoner
Hirti
Vibes
pepperedham
Keele
jzancan
Tincan Sailor
BKO5950505
HorribleCrowe
flannel
Asmith1912
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
mingus
Zach_Edelman
Thunder Peel
33RPMHero
BossTime
jensomniac
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
Roe
mely88
big blue
TGAFAN25
jonester
FrankieG
cdala
crutchfield
Jaws
zerb012345
Anya_TGA
bringiton_ty
_rebekka_
Joe Thumb
sjoy89
Jerseyrain
SirBrad
CapedAvenger
saraM87
rotmitweißenpunkten
rumham
Ghost
Yozzy
simo
RobertODonnell
enola
Labhras
Debonair
SammyHutchison
HolyBreakOfDay
Harbortown
borrowedcar
Jack
JimmyB
NeverTrustAJunkie
thomas94
The Last Jukebox Romeo
cmigs
Hanswurst
Steve70s
CluckyB
eagles1139
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
Christophe
njguy99
steady now steady now
90 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I agree and there's no doubt O'Brien is a pro and knows how to make songs sound awesome. But that doesn't mean there aren't times when it'd be better to not listen to his opinion. That doesn't mean his opinion is wrong, he just has a very clear style and not every song should follow that style in my opinion.

Again, I'm not saying that the guys ever listened to him when they shouldn't have, but as polished and catchy as the songs on HW sound, I still think the rougher sound of the 59 sound can be better. Maybe not for every song, and maybe not if you want a song to top the charts, but sometimes less polished is better. I'm just saying I hope the guys listen to their instincts even if they don't match what O'Brien's advising them to do.

Oh, yeah, I absolutely see what you're saying. It's mostly that one example of Keepsake. That really surprised me, because that's really enough to get a co-write credit, although he obviously didn't care one way or the other.

And I absolutely prefer The '59 Sound to Handwritten, I agree with you there.

One thing that's interesting is to see whether or not LP 5 will sound like Handwritten sonically. Every Gaslight album has its own sound, not even talking about the song style here. Just that The '59 Sound has the echo-drenched Saturday night cruise through American Graffiti feel, American Slang has the windows rolled down on a breezy summer day feel, and Handwritten has the every-song-is-a-big-rock-anthem feel. I hope that sonically it sounds different, because I like the variety Gaslight has supplied us with at the moment. For that reason, there are some days I just NEED to hear American Slang, even though it's my least favorite album by them.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 2:09 pm

^^ I agree completely.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm

the chorus of bring it on is my favorite thing to go 80mph on the highway to
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm

You know what? Mae, despite being a fairly slow song, is an incredible driving song, especially at night. Amazing backdrop for introspective drives.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:24 pm

not as good as WDIWWWY. but this is a whole other conversation in itself. i do like mae for that reason though
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't even like We Did It When We Were Young.
*ducks flying objects*
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Much better than We Did It When We Were Young. Not even in the same league.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 am

I've said it before, but Mae is probably my favorite song off of Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 am

I agree and there's no doubt O'Brien is a pro and knows how to make songs sound awesome. But that doesn't mean there aren't times when it'd be better to not listen to his opinion. That doesn't mean his opinion is wrong, he just has a very clear style and not every song should follow that style in my opinion.

Again, I'm not saying that the guys ever listened to him when they shouldn't have, but as polished and catchy as the songs on HW sound, I still think the rougher sound of the 59 sound can be better. Maybe not for every song, and maybe not if you want a song to top the charts, but sometimes less polished is better. I'm just saying I hope the guys listen to their instincts even if they don't match what O'Brien's advising them to do.
I've always felt like The '59 Sound lacks in the rhythm guitar section. Brian's guitar is barely even noticable in a lot of places.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Harbortown wrote:

I've always felt like The '59 Sound lacks in the rhythm guitar section. Brian's guitar is barely even noticable in a lot of places.

The title track's a good example. It starts with Brian's guitar and then vanishes when everyone else kicks in.
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm happy that O'Brien produces the next album. Handwritten is my fav album ever (I mean not even my favorite album from TGA, but my favorite ever).
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
SammyHutchison
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SammyHutchison

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm happy to have a new Gaslight record sooner rather than later,and how Brian said in that interview with Maria Marr that he wants to hit it out of the park. They deserve to be a huge band and if that means them making their Born in the USA,I'd love it.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:36 pm

for sure. I think people forget that it took seven albums before he made that album and got incredibly huge
even if it's not my favorite one Razz
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Saw in another interview posted somewhere on here that they wanted to make the next one "dirtier" and "more ugly" ...a bit like Sink or Swim. If that's the case, then I personally cant see the mainstream latching on to it or it coming near a Born in the USA type album.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I don't think they should try to do anything on purpose. Seems they did that with American Slang according to some interview(s?) and weren't happy with it. Even though I love that album.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:36 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Saw in another interview posted somewhere on here that they wanted to make the next one "dirtier" and "more ugly" ...a bit like Sink or Swim. If that's the case, then I personally cant see the mainstream latching on to it or it coming near a Born in the USA type album.

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5204-rockfreaks-interview

Yep meant to add it in here. Brian and Alex L talk about their expectations abit of the new record if anyone didnt see.

If you guys find anything in a interview about the new record be sure to link to it here as well so we can have a central place for new info. Feel free to create topics for general discussion of interviews etc. of course Smile
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Going with what Jukebox Romeo wrote....Will Mercury step in and make them release a "radio friendly" CD filled with nothing but hits, or will they let Gaslight be Gaslight? At what point does Mercury think they need to get Gaslight to be "mainstream" and not a "cult following" band? NOTE: I am just stating from the POV of the Music execs. I would love to have a Gaslight Album somewhere between SOS and 59 Sound sounding.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Going with what Jukebox Romeo wrote....Will Mercury step in and make them release a "radio friendly" CD filled with nothing but hits, or will they let Gaslight be Gaslight? At what point does Mercury think they need to get Gaslight to be "mainstream" and not a "cult following" band? NOTE: I am just stating from the POV of the Music execs. I would love to have a Gaslight Album somewhere between SOS and 59 Sound sounding.

This is what has me thinking, are Mercury, as a big label, going to be satisfied with just average sells so long as the band are happy? Also, something between 59 and SOS sounds perfect to me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Quote :
are Mercury, as a big label, going to be satisfied with just average sells so long as the band are happy?

I can't imagine this happening. Business is business. If Gaslight isn't making them money, I doubt they would be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:26 pm

JimmyB wrote:
this isn't the seventees. there's no template for a rock band like gaslight to get a big hit single.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Labhras wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
this isn't the seventees. there's no template for a rock band like gaslight to get a big hit single.
You get my point though. Would a label like Mercury who has a few big names already signed, let Gaslight experiment with a sound/album...or would they demand "you play this like that, you write your songs like this,etc"?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 am

no matter how much gaslight experiment they're still going to sound like a rock band. whether they want to release a heavy rock album or a cheesy rock album, to a mercury big wig it'll still be a case of "how's that rock band doing? making rock music? good". they knew what they were getting when they signed them. they'd only have a problem if the lads wanted to release a bunch of ukulele songs or something.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 am

I think we're going to record in the winter and we'll maybe be ready early next year ..

Videolink: Gaslight at Southside
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm

A few new details:

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/the_gaslight_anthem_to_release_new_album_in_2014
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Labhras wrote:
no matter how much gaslight experiment they're still going to sound like a rock band. whether they want to release a heavy rock album or a cheesy rock album, to a mercury big wig it'll still be a case of "how's that rock band doing? making rock music? good". they knew what they were getting when they signed them. they'd only have a problem if the lads wanted to release a bunch of ukulele songs or something.

Eddie Vedder did a uke album, so I wouldn't put it past them haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)   2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 new Gaslight Anthem album news (pre-details)
Page 2 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next