DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012

Go down 
+37
crsmsi
bringiton_ty
DeathoftheCool
Hanswurst
Prisoner
Bobul
'49mercury
CasanovaBaby90
Labhras
NYYFAN523
DiamondSinatra
ral
kupe
matkins
CluckyB
NeverTrustAJunkie
CapedAvenger
eagles1139
Holland
TGAFAN25
MikeSig
redheadchick
enola
Christophe
Jerseyrain
steady now steady now
bringiton
simo
StitchesOnTheRadio
acousticbandit
azlisa
Debonair
moosicmaniac
prettyontheinsidex
SirBrad
thebiglebowski
dbzgtom
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm not getting why everyone is so upset about this. This is part of the fan club. It's not something so exclusive that you're being shut out of. Excluding fans is not the point of this. It's just part of the club. If these songs were made available to everyone through iTunes or something it would undermine part of the point of having the club in the first place. I really don't see anything wrong with this, I'm a member but even of I wasn't I wouldn't feel excluded. The songs are like a reward for the club. It's part of the deal so you get something more than just access to concert tickets. Are people going to get mad every year when they send out the holiday 7"?
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Matt, read the info on this club and then let us know what you think. Not trying to be an ass, but some of the questions you ask have already been answered right from the band. The single is for the fan club, is an exclusive perk to members, and isn't going to be available after (hasn't been explicitly spelled out, but that is definitely what it was created for). Fan Club members would be just as pissed as the others on the outside if they paid for an exclusive song and then it was released to everyone later.

The band is making the calls, not the label. The label has nothing to do with the fan club.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Looks like the attack cats and defence dogs are at it again. Personally I'm not part of the club and I don't mind not getting the songs. I'm pretty sure they said they'd do this all along and even if they didn't well shit there's gotta be some advantages to being in the club.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Matt L wrote:
Does the money I spent on other merchandise not count because it didn't go to the RPM club, or, didn't "support the band with the Fan Club."
What does the money you spent on other merch have to do with these songs?

Quote :
Sure, you guys getting the vinyl for free is a given considering the fact that you did sign up for the club, but why does that suddenly block the song out for everyone else? Why can't I pay $20 for the vinyl? Why can't I pay $1.99 for the mp3s? If the boys play one of the singles at a concert, will all the non-members be forced to shut their ears for 3 minutes?
People aren't getting the vinyl for free, they paid for it. We've known for six months that there would be an exclusive release and now they've delivered it. It's a bundle like any of the other silly ones that bands do these days - want the rarest, limited color vinyl edition of our album? then buy this expensive bundle with a tshirt/poster/cassette/coloring book. Yes, it's a gimmick to get people to join but being able to buy songs in a format of your choice is not your right as a fan.

Quote :
Thirdly, why should we respect a decision that likely wasn't even made by the band? Why do we intrinsically have to respect the band's decisions anyway? If the band decides to take themselves down a hardcore gangster rap route, do I have to respect that decision simply because its theirs?
Of course fans don't have to blindly accept/respect what the band does. What makes you think this wasn't the band's decision (or at least Brian's) though?
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:45 pm

I guess I'm just confused about the fuss because it was clear that it would work this way from the start. I didn't want to pay $25 for a 7" and I don't like fan clubs so I didn't sign up. Who cares? When they come out with a new album I'll buy that. Until then it's really not that hard to find these songs and they're not that exciting anyway.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 am

I'm not a club member. An invitation to a fellow saint's house for milk, cookies and Halloween would be nice!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 am

prettyontheinsidex wrote:
.... there needs to be some reason to join and keep a membership. The whole point of a fan club is some kind of exclusivity. You want access to it, join. If you don't than your loss. It's not that expensive where it really burns a hole in your wallet...Let's be realistic, if you want those songs, you'll find them somewhere.

^^THAT.

Also, it's not "you guys are better fans for paying $25" it's more like "I know you paid $25 bucks, it would suck if all you got was a crappy t-shirt. Here's something cooler". Why join a fan club if you don't get some privilege that others don't? How do you think those of us who paid $25 are gonna feel when in a few days, someone puts it online and you guys can get it for free?

They said in an interview a couple months ago that for "awhile" the songs were only gonna be available to fanclub members but that at some point they'd probably make it available to everyone.

I agree though ULTIMATELY the music should be accessible to anyone for a reasonable cost. So I hope you can buy it eventually. But can we enjoy what we paid for for just a little while?
Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 am

"I agree though ULTIMATELY the music should be accessible to anyone for a reasonable cost. So I hope you can buy it eventually. But can we enjoy what we paid for for just a little while?"

Shelby i completely agree with this^ Can we all end the argument on this and talk about the songs themselves and not how people acquire them christ...
Back to top Go down
Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Bobul

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:46 am

I just hope that when the physical copy of the 7" arrives, it has a better dust sleeve than the record store day release of Hold You Up. I was pretty disappointed by that. I know there is probably a huge budget concern over these "giveaways" but still. The Tumblin Dice 7" packaging was pretty nice though.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 am

Bobul wrote:
I just hope that when the physical copy of the 7" arrives, it has a better dust sleeve than the record store day release of Hold You Up. I was pretty disappointed by that. I know there is probably a huge budget concern over these "giveaways" but still. The Tumblin Dice 7" packaging was pretty nice though.

Haha seriously. It can't cost THAT much to at least print a sheet of paper big enough to cover the whole record this time.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:15 am

Actually when I've looked into pressing vinyl, the packaging is one of the most expensive parts. Though it gets cheaper when you do it in bulk, so there's not much excuse for the RSD one since there were like 3000 copies of that.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 am

I still don't get why everyone having access to the songs undermines the fan club's value in any way. I mean, someone else listening to a song can't effect your enjoyment of it. With vinyl, there is value in the rarity. I don't see why the fan club members couldn't just be happy with the vinyl and not get so full of themselves that they feel they deserve to be the only ones with access to the songs.

It just reeks of making music for the Wrong Reasons and I doubt what else people say will convince me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 am

A friend of mine brought this to my attention: Did anyone else notice that the live recording of Halloween and the digital copy sound identical? with the exception that Laura-Mary Carter's vocals cover Alex L.'s and the audio's cleaned up a bit. Listen to them back to back. I'm not bothered by it but I thought it was interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if it is the same recording.

Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 am

How did this fanclub vs. not fanclub fans discussion start and can we please stop it. Nobody is a better fan than anyone else because of the things one buys.

Part of the fanclub package, some people decided to buy/subscribe to, was to get an exclusive 7inch. I don't even know if it was ever planned to have a digital download if it wasn't for the production delay. Personally I think it was a great way to handle that issue and there is no reason to start a discussion over it.

It is the band's or the label's decision in which way they put out their recordings/releases and we should accept that. And as it was already mentioned, I am sure if you want to get hold of the mp3s you will find a way - even though I don't support that but believe in actually paying for music and supporting the artists. But this topic has been discussed in endless circles already anyway.

So can we please quit complaining about whatever there is to even complain about and go back to enjoying and discussing the music, OK? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
A friend of mine brought this to my attention: Did anyone else notice that the live recording of Halloween and the digital copy sound identical? with the exception that Laura-Mary Carter's vocals cover Alex L.'s and the audio's cleaned up a bit. Listen to them back to back. I'm not bothered by it but I thought it was interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if it is the same recording.

which live recording?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 am

Yeah, you are right. It is the same recording.

I hope it gets a full studio treatment in the future.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 am

So far I've decided I like the backing vocals on Halloween but their something about the recording that's bothering me. I swear I keep hearing this like static glitch from time to time. I might be going crazy but it's driving me nuts. Like a lesser, unintentional version of the static sound they put at the start of Great Expectations, just sort of at random in the background.
I finally listened to Halloween with headphones and you're right about the static. There are quite a few spots of digital noise / slight crackling throughout the song (at 2:14 and 2:25 for example). I don't know if it's an artifact from adding the new backing vocals or from remastering/remixing things but it's definitely there and I can't see it being intentional.

steady now steady now wrote:

which live recording?
the AXS performance. the mix is much improved but Brian's vocals seem to match perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 pm

CluckyB wrote:
I can't be the only one who thinks its beyond stupid that this apparently also isn't getting a wider digital release. Keep an exclusive copy of the 7" for the fan club, sure, but it's the height of arrogance and greed to expect fans who just want all of your music on their iPod to shell out for your fan club.

I mean for the tickets, sure, you need an entry fee to help stop the scalpers / pay for the cost of running things. If you are giving out physical things like vinyl / t-shirts then obviously that costs money to produce so you need that too. But if its just digital copies of songs, defining "fans worthy of listening to this song" as "people who give us $25" (or however much the fanclub cost) is horribly selfish and goes against most of the ethos of the punk rock scene. There is literally no point to it other than to make money.

Give the fan club members the 7" like you promised, but at least let other people buy the songs as well.

(Granted as far as I'm aware you can't find digital copies of the RSD 10" so why am I surprised about this? Won't be at all surprised if you won't be able to buy the bonus iTunes songs on the next album individually)

All fan clubs come with unique incentives not available to others. If they didn't have these incentives nobody would join so a couple of exclusive tracks seems like a good one to me.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 pm

who needs a cover for those 'till there may be an official ?! rabbit

45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 45rpm_10
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 pm

enola wrote:
How did this fanclub vs. not fanclub fans discussion start and can we please stop it. Nobody is a better fan than anyone else because of the things one buys.

Part of the fanclub package, some people decided to buy/subscribe to, was to get an exclusive 7inch. I don't even know if it was ever planned to have a digital download if it wasn't for the production delay. Personally I think it was a great way to handle that issue and there is no reason to start a discussion over it.

It is the band's or the label's decision in which way they put out their recordings/releases and we should accept that. And as it was already mentioned, I am sure if you want to get hold of the mp3s you will find a way - even though I don't support that but believe in actually paying for music and supporting the artists. But this topic has been discussed in endless circles already anyway.

So can we please quit complaining about whatever there is to even complain about and go back to enjoying and discussing the music, OK? Thank you.

ALL HAIL BRIAN FALLON NO DISAGREEING WITH ANYTHING HE DOES GASLIGHT IS INFALLIBLE THIS IS THE ADMIN DECREE
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

CluckyB wrote:
enola wrote:

ALL HAIL BRIAN FALLON NO DISAGREEING WITH ANYTHING HE DOES GASLIGHT IS INFALLIBLE THIS IS THE ADMIN DECREE

I disagree with your other points but I agree with this. Can't say anything negative about the band on here without someone saying "Can't we just move on and be positive" or you have to follow a negative statement with a bunch of positives to balance it out. If everything is roses all the time then the discussion isn't based in reality.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
enola wrote:

I disagree with your other points but I agree with this. Can't say anything negative about the band on here without someone saying "Can't we just move on and be positive" or you have to follow a negative statement with a bunch of positives to balance it out. If everything is roses all the time then the discussion isn't based in reality.

Yeah the hero worship here gets a little too strong at times. But whatever, I've made my points on the issues. Nothing else is really gonna be gained by continuing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

CluckyB wrote:

Like I said, I have zero problems with the fan club vinyl exclusive. You're right that its just something cool you can add to your collection. The issue is that by calling it "Something special for the fans", you're implying that in order to be a "fan" you have to pay the $25 for the fan club. And that is silly and stupid and selfish. In order to be a "fan", the only requirement should be you need to like the music. I mean, Gaslight is my favorite band but I'm not a fan simply because I've never had a problem getting tickets so don't need the presale, have plenty of band t-shirts and don't really like to collect 7"s so I'd rather use my money to support them in other ways????

Give the people who give you money the t-shirts and vinyl they are paying for. But at the very least, let ALL of your fans buy your songs for the standard dollar a pop.

couldn't say it any better.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm not providing any links but it's already out there. I wasn't even searching for it and I found it. Hopefully this will stop the complaining.

There are so many people who complain on here (myself included) about at least one thing that this band does/did that I can't see how we have that many "hero worshipers". Just because someone has something positive to say and you don't agree with it, doesn't mean they drank the kool aid. I think we all have to agree to disagree on this one but we (both sides) can at least respect each others opinions as valid, not like this is trolls vs hero worshipers.

Regarding the recordings themselves, I think Halloween turned out pretty well considering they clearly used the live version. I mean, they tend to record in one room all together usually anyway. If the sound turns out fine does it matter that that room was Terminal 5? Although a studio version may have come without the crackling. Who knows. Maybe they just didn't have time to jump in a studio anyway.

Hanswurst, thanks for the cover art!
Back to top Go down
Bobul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Bobul

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Bobul wrote:

Haha seriously. It can't cost THAT much to at least print a sheet of paper big enough to cover the whole record this time.

Ill settle for a decent sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012   45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

45 RPM Club 'Album' 2012
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next