DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

curious about cover tunes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thebends
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

curious about cover tunes Empty
PostSubject: curious about cover tunes   curious about cover tunes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 pm

How do they make any money recording theses songs? Tom Petty, pearl Jam , Who, etc... I'm sure they have to pay a royalty fee. Was just wondering.

thanks
Back to top Go down
collectivemike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

curious about cover tunes Empty
PostSubject: Re: curious about cover tunes   curious about cover tunes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Recording a cover song isn't really super expensive... in general all you need a mechanical license (which you have to obtain from the label/publishing company, which is usually the trickiest part). From there all you have to do is pay $0.09 per copy (if the song is less than 5 minutes long). The pricing is a little different if the song is longer than five minutes (I don't remember exactly but I think it's like $0.018 per minute, rounded up to the nearest minute). So it's really not that expensive compared to some other licenses.
Back to top Go down

curious about cover tunes
Page 1 of 1