DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which album is Alex Levine's best?

Go down 
+7
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Debonair
Gumption
DeathoftheCool
kappanera
EyesOnThatCadillac
Yozzy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

Which album is Alex Levine's best? Empty
PostSubject: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Quite simply, which album does he have the best bass lines and bass performances?
Back to top Go down
EyesOnThatCadillac
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
EyesOnThatCadillac

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:35 pm

American Slang for me. The bass line on Boxer's chorus is seriously under appreciated.

Who did the basslines for Elsie? That dude with the 'tache? Cause they had some great basslines too.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm

not the biggest fan of Alex's playing to be honest(not that I dislike him of course)..I'd go with Handwritten, I kinda like Mae's line and also Blue Dahlia is good if I can remember well (it's been a couple of weeks since I last heard it)
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 pm

American Slang and Handwritten really stand out to me.
The bass is super important in the dynamics of songs like Bring It On and the Queen of Lower Chelsea which contain more "parts" than most gaslight songs.
The cool little bass solos on Boxer and Spirit of Jazz and the super soft touch in We Did It When We Were Young also come to mind.
And Handwritten I think the whole band is on another level musically. Kappanera was right on with the little line in Mae before the chorus.
And the bass on songs like Here Comes My Man and Desire really complement the recordings and make them sound much more heavy and intense.
Back to top Go down
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 pm

EyesOnThatCadillac wrote:
American Slang for me. The bass line on Boxer's chorus is seriously under appreciated.

Who did the basslines for Elsie? That dude with the 'tache? Cause they had some great basslines too.
Agreed. Boxer is so great.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 am

According to the credits Ian was responsible for bass.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 am

I know it's not incredible technically, but I think the bass line in OWL carry's that song.

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Handwritten I think the whole band is on another level musically.

I agree for the most part, but I feel like Benny held back a bit, and didn't really get a chance to be creative or stand out. He's capable of some pretty emotional drumming, not sure it was there on Handwritten though.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 am

Yozzy wrote:
I know it's not incredible technically, but I think the bass line in OWL carry's that song.

DeathoftheCool wrote:

I agree for the most part, but I feel like Benny held back a bit, and didn't really get a chance to be creative or stand out. He's capable of some pretty emotional drumming, not sure it was there on Handwritten though.

Yeah I agree with you there. I was mostly thinking about the guitars anyway. Handwritten is impressive in the guitar dpt the same way American Slang amazed me with the vocals. That's why I love AS so much. Both both those albums are so cool because of the stuff they do with the songs' dynamics
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 am

Debonair wrote:

According to the credits Ian was responsible for bass.

Yeah, i think they had that guy with the stache to help out playing live.
Back to top Go down
Blueeyesandspitfire
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 am

Speaking of Alex L, I have a Random question...its not important but does anyone know how old Alex L is? I saw on Twitter not too long ago that he was thanking people for birthday wishes and mentioned somewhere in the feed that he was 21. That just seems crazy to me when the rest of the guys are in their early 30's. If the band started in 2006 then Alex would have been 14 and that just seems strange to me. I have seen other articles that say Brian is 33 and Benny and Alex R are similar ages to him, so it just seems odd that Alex L would be so young. Does anyone know how old he is??
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 am

Blueeyesandspitfire wrote:
Speaking of Alex L, I have a Random question...its not important but does anyone know how old Alex L is? I saw on Twitter not too long ago that he was thanking people for birthday wishes and mentioned somewhere in the feed that he was 21. That just seems crazy to me when the rest of the guys are in their early 30's. If the band started in 2006 then Alex would have been 14 and that just seems strange to me. I have seen other articles that say Brian is 33 and Benny and Alex R are similar ages to him, so it just seems odd that Alex L would be so young. Does anyone know how old he is??
I'm pretty sure he's like 28 give or take a year, he's definitely not 21, haha. I don't remember what he said but it must've been a joke. Hope that clears it up somewhat Smile 
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 am

Yozzy wrote:

DeathoftheCool wrote:
From what I saw in an interview that was purposeful. He said he was listening to stuff like Nevermind and Back in Black and realized that a lot of classic rock albums have very simple drum parts and he wanted to keep it as no-frills as possible.

To answer the original question, I'd have to say Handwritten. Not only is it his best bass work, but it's much more prominent in the mix.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
racecar
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 am

Gotta be Handwritten. Before that album I thought he was rhythmically solid, but lacked the ability to do fills and bass solos. That doesn't make you a bad bassist, I mean look how far freaking Pete Wentz got just beating root notes.

But when Handwritten came out and I heard the bass on that album, I was proven completely wrong. The groove in Mullholland, the prechorus of Mae, and the whole of Blue Dahlia (that one the whole band rocked the hell out of) showed me there's a lot more to these guys musically than I thought.

Alex Rosamilia also showed he's got some MAJOR skill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which album is Alex Levine's best?   Which album is Alex Levine's best? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which album is Alex Levine's best?
Page 1 of 1