DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Names

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

Names Empty
PostSubject: Names   Names Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

I know that it was discussed here at one point (I can't find where), the names Brian uses in his songs..........I found a short interview that was done and one of the questions talked about that. Sorry if this was already posted, and gosh, I could have even posted it before (seriously, the mind starts to go after 30.....)

The album is full some of the great music names, like Mary, Virginia and Sandy. What is it about some names that give them a musicality, and are there some names that you would never use?
Well, you would think you wouldn't use a name like Matilda, but that kind of found its way in there on the last record (in "I Coulda Been a Contender" from 2007's "Sink or Swim").

A lot of it, I think, comes from the people who said them. Bob Seger said those kind of names and Tom Petty said those kind of names. I don't know, those are the names you don't really hear too often anymore, either. You're not gonna meet a Virginia at a bar, really. My grandmother's name was Mary, so that kind of came, and they're just good classic names. I think if you grow up in the States, you kind of associate those names with a kind of classy lady. Like, you don't see too many Marys tearing it up at the bar, kicking bottles and chairs over. We'll leave that for the Rosies.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Names   Names Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 pm

liveit wrote:
Well, you would think you wouldn't use a name like Matilda, but that kind of found its way in there on the last record (in "I Coulda Been a Contender" from 2007's "Sink or Swim").

The lyric goes 'We'd go walking Matilda, when Matilda came around."

He explained when he played it acoustic that Walking Matilda is just an Australian Term to go backpacking with no money
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Names   Names Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

it's "Waltzing Matilda"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Names   Names Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:40 pm

liveit wrote:

[/b]Well, you would think you wouldn't use a name like Matilda, but that kind of found its way in there on the last record (in "I Coulda Been a Contender" from 2007's "Sink or Swim").

Also the first line of Film Noir.
Back to top Go down
nivek87
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Names   Names Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Tom Waits references waltzing mathilda in tom trauberts blues:

"To go waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda,
You'll go waltzing Mathilda with me"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content