DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight on Leno tonight

Go down 
+24
HorribleCrowe
White Man In Hammersmith
DeathoftheCool
Steve70s
Holland
SirBrad
big blue
Shrewsbury_Stars
NYYFAN523
moosicmaniac
enola
Jack
brianisbae
TGA30
MKULTRA
azlisa
thomas94
Yozzy
Jables
StitchesOnTheRadio
ral
Reinvent good times
rumham
njguy99
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 6:09 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
They were really good last night. Really good. About all I can say, really. Just great stuff.

^THAT. They were really solid. I'm still not convinced this will go anywhere as a single (but what do I know) but I do enjoy the song and that was one of the best performances I've seen of it.

Same. Excellent performance but I really can't see it getting the radio airplay that 45 does... hopefully the music video will help it out.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm

enola wrote:

Thank you very much, Manuela! Wink
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Mark me down as unimpressed. The mix sounded off (Brian's mic was too low at the beginning) and it was missing the energy of the recording. Is not having Ian on an NBC thing?
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm

It's interesting to me that Brian's "live" voice can fluctuate so dramatically from performance to performance. It was definitely sounding a bit thin last night.
Back to top Go down
big blue
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 pm

To me, it wasn't that Brian's voice was thin, it was that the song itself didn't seem nearly as full as it does both on the album and when performed live with Ian. I happen to really like the song, but this performance did not do it justice. I think that they really benefit from the extra guitar.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:22 am

Finally got around to watching the video. Ouch, not a very good performance to be honest. I think the voice was thin and the music was lacking depth.

The question is - will Brian's voice hold up over time? I see performances like this and I really start to wonder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 am

I agree with the comments about it having less depth without Ian and I think it was weird not having the 12-string but Idk I didn't think his vocals were bad. At least not in a way that stood out to me. His vocals seem to change a lot live. Way more than they used to so I guess my expectations there aren't that high?

But I thought this was pretty solid despite the fact that some things were missing.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 am

I thought they sounded okay but when I watch them on tv I like to pretend its my first time seeing them, and I really thought his voice was off and the music was lacking depth. If it was my first time ever hearing Gaslight, I'm not sure it woild be enough to win me over. But because I'm a superfan, anything they do is amazing in my eyes haha. I still think its awesome how they met Liam Neeson. Haha
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
It's interesting to me that Brian's "live" voice can fluctuate so dramatically from performance to performance. It was definitely sounding a bit thin last night.

I think part of the reason for this is that the songs, particularly on the new album, require Brian to push his voice a lot, and that is very hard to maintain fro every performance, I actually think they have made a mistake on a few songs on the new album by putting them in keys that push Brian's voice too much.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:58 am

I actually really like this performance but the Ian missing thing is truly baffling - maybe he doesn't have the right visa!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:45 pm

The weirdest thing is that his gear is always there. Liked he has been there,but choose not to play, because fortune teller tell him/Brian said "heres five dollars, have free day and buy your self a ranch"...
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Sami wrote:
The weirdest thing is that his gear is always there. Liked he has been there,but choose not to play, because fortune teller tell him/Brian said "heres five dollars, have free day and buy your self a ranch"...

lol!
Free perkins
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 2:32 am

FREE PERKINS! hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 am

I actually liked the rawness of that performance.

But I have to say, Brian's voice is dying fast.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 am

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
I actually liked the rawness of that performance.

But I have to say, Brian's voice is dying fast.

True that, I find it hard to believe, but at the end of a tour his voice seems so, like, unsoulfull.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 am

Quit smoking, quit drinking and quit drinking coffee. All drying agents, which seems to be a big part of Brian's vocal issues when it comes to live performances.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 pm

his voice is better now than it had been on previous tv appearances, by which i mean the one's during the american slang tour.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 am

Labhras wrote:
his voice is better now than it had been on previous tv appearances, by which i mean the one's during the american slang tour.

Yeah, he sounded awful when they played a couple songs on Jools Holland.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
Quit smoking, quit drinking and quit drinking coffee. All drying agents, which seems to be a big part of Brian's vocal issues when it comes to live performances.

Hey dont be crazy now Very Happy. Next thing you want that he should quit having sex or something, because his not angry enough on stage. And stop having fun Brian! Just deal with the life as it is Evil or Very Mad ...but of course quitting smoking wouldnt hurt. And maybe I should shut up Rolling Eyes...
But speaking about that Jools performance, Spirit Of Jazz is one the best versions and so is Bring It On in Letterman IMO. AS in Leno and Holland sucked though.

Last edited by Sami on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 am

Jools Holland was my first experience really so I like those versions.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:48 am

Must be hard for Brian everyone judging his voice which is undoubtably under alot of strain at the moment promoting this album. His vices like coffee and smoking probably dont help much but thats life, which is ment to be enjoyed Smile
Back to top Go down
Jables
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jables

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 1:49 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
Must be hard for Brian everyone judging his voice which is undoubtably under alot of strain at the moment promoting this album. His vices like coffee and smoking probably dont help much but thats life, which is ment to be enjoyed Smile
I always thought his smoking helped give his voice that gravelly quality.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:00 pm

it does definately which it will with any smoking singer. Works fantastic on the albums, just doesnt help when your doing a tour to promote your album. I smoke a lot and my voice is GONE after practice then gig the next day haha
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 am

Sami wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

Hey dont be crazy now Very Happy. Next thing you want that he should quit having sex or something, because his not angry enough on stage. And stop having fun Brian! Just deal with the life as it is Evil or Very Mad ...but of course quitting smoking wouldnt hurt. And maybe I should shut up Rolling Eyes...
But speaking about that Jools performance, Spirit Of Jazz is one the best versions and so is Bring It On in Letterman IMO. AS in Leno and Holland sucked though.

What are you talking about haha...Everything I said would help. How do I know this? I quit all the above and there was immediate improvement. I don't take Brian as the "you only live once, let's get fucked up!" kinda guy so I feel like he could easily quit the things I mentioned. Besides, I think he said he wanted to quit smoking anyway.

All I'm doing is pointing out he can make immediate improvements if he so desires. I'm not trying to be his life coach haha.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am

He may aswell quit smoking, he somkes menthol....menthol! haha no point smoking if its those
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight on Leno tonight   Gaslight on Leno tonight - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight on Leno tonight
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next