DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)

Go down 
+5
Labhras
White Man In Hammersmith
bringiton_ty
Shrewsbury_Stars
steady now steady now
9 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Empty
PostSubject: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:45 pm

The Gaslight Anthem's Benny Horowitz on Handwritten and SB 1070

By Melissa Fossum Wed., Sep. 19 2012 at 5:00 AM

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/09/the_gaslight_anthem_handwritte.php
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Great read, great guy, end of story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks for posting. That's probably the most friendly, informative and insightful interview I've read from Gaslight all year - I think Benny needs to be interviewed a lot more frequently.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 am

Fantastic interview. Benny is always awesome. Realyy excited to see them tour with this Dave Hoss............haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Benny is awesome! Loved that interview. Honesty and intelligence, can't really ask for much more.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:29 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
Benny is awesome! Loved that interview. Honesty and intelligence, can't really ask for much more.
i hear he has a small willy. just sayin.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Aw man Dave Hoss. Really? There were also a few other typos in this article. I'm perfectly happy to overlook all that though because it asked good/different questions. It's funny how the good questions come out when it's not Brian being interviewed.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Aw man Dave Hoss. Really?

I actually thought that was positive in the sense that it may lead to more people pronouncing Dave's name correctly Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am

I thought it was pronounced like "cause" and "pause" like he says in his twitter dammit lol
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

From daves twitter
Dave Hause
@hausedave
It's pronounced like pause, or cause, damnit. I'm begging my crazy to quit.

I always pronounced it like house haha though thankfully didnt mention that when i met him lol
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:29 am

The band, which at times sounds like a nostalgic punk rock version of Bruce Springsteen

Haha, it's like Brian's favorite references all in once sentence.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 am

Haha yeah im sure he loved that description!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:20 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
I thought it was pronounced like "cause" and "pause" like he says in his twitter dammit lol

Haha but when people say it fast it tends to come out like Hoss and that's closer than House! As long as you don't get into ssss sound too much it sounds the same.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:48 am

I know Melissa and she would be so happy to know you guys liked the article! She is also a big fan of TGA and got a photo pass for them for this show. Her pics are on the same site.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:59 am

azlisa wrote:
I know Melissa and she would be so happy to know you guys liked the article! She is also a big fan of TGA and got a photo pass for them for this show. Her pics are on the same site.

It's so nice when actual fans get to interview them. Tell her thanks for writing something about them worth reading!
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 am

azlisa wrote:

It's so nice when actual fans get to interview them. Tell her thanks for writing something about them worth reading!

Will do! And I agree--actual fans don't ask those same cookie-cutter questions that we have all heard and seen a million times before! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am

bringiton_ty wrote:

Haha but when people say it fast it tends to come out like Hoss and that's closer than House! As long as you don't get into ssss sound too much it sounds the same.

yeah it does. he has a difficult name for a first attempt haha
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

this is kinda off-topic: but I'd assume it's an originally German name (house means haus in german), that has varied a little over the years

A pretty good interview though, I adore the part when Benny's talking about the LA references.. Wink
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm

thomas94 wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

this is kinda off-topic: but I'd assume it's an originally German name (house means haus in german), that has varied a little over the years

A pretty good interview though, I adore the part when Benny's talking about the LA references.. Wink

Haha so Dave shouldn't get mad because, in a sense, people are just translating it to english when they say house! Thanks for the fun fact.

Now that I live in LA, I love when those references come up.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm

thomas94 wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

Haha so Dave shouldn't get mad because, in a sense, people are just translating it to english when they say house! Thanks for the fun fact.

Haha, yeah. Since we know the guys of TGA read here at times, it would be possible that Dave is lurking here too - and hopefully - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy reads that Very Happy Very Happy

Concerning those LA references: And in a way the references give proof that the Gaslight Anthem are not exclusively writing about - or embodying - Jersey and it's images. They've got more diversity in their lyrics < ---- mentioning that may sound a little stupid right now, but sometimes I get the impression that some reporters and other people just regard them as "the jersey guys with the Bruce Springsteen weakness/connections"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 am

thomas94 wrote:
thomas94 wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

Haha, yeah. Since we know the guys of TGA read here at times, it would be possible that Dave is lurking here too - and hopefully - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy reads that Very Happy Very Happy

Concerning those LA references: And in a way the references give proof that the Gaslight Anthem are not exclusively writing about - or embodying - Jersey and it's images. They've got more diversity in their lyrics < ---- mentioning that may sound a little stupid right now, but sometimes I get the impression that some reporters and other people just regard them as "the jersey guys with the Bruce Springsteen weakness/connections"

Haha maybe he does!

It frustrates me so much that many people see them only as like a Springsteen tribute band especially since the actual connection between the two is so incredibly small. So yeah it's good they have those other references but people tend to notice what they want to notice, which is "they're all about Jersey and Springsteen!". That's just the way the marketing world works unfortunately. I just sat through a 3 hour lecture on the music industry so don't even get me started on all this nonsense, haha.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Wink

Quote :
I just sat through a 3 hour lecture on the music industry so don't even get me started on all this nonsense, haha.

Are you studying sth. concerning music business or so?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 am

thomas94 wrote:
Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Wink

Quote :
I just sat through a 3 hour lecture on the music industry so don't even get me started on all this nonsense, haha.

Are you studying sth. concerning music business or so?

No, I kind of wish I'd gone into sound mixing or something music related but I went into film. I'll probably abandon film though and try and get into music. More on the tour crew side of things though than performing. Still not sure how to get started there though haha. Oh well I've got till May to figure it out!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)   In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In-depth interview: Benny talks about 'Handwritten' (Phoenix New Times)
Page 1 of 1