DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank the Albums

Go down 
+39
CasanovaBaby90
barkjon
kappanera
J_Schooly
Jack
Casey
JimmyB
Christophe
peteswell
TheContender
simo
thomas94
Steve70s
covsc1922
Definitely_Josef
hostutca
njguy99
tom.TGA.punk
OldManShoes3
Chesser19
CapedAvenger
YouCanCallMeSally
steady now steady now
Shrewsbury_Stars
Jables
drifter69
TGAFAN25
bringiton_ty
StitchesOnTheRadio
EveryLittleSecret
The Angry Johnny Revue
Yozzy
IrishNameAndAnInjury
SubconsciousRitual
DeathoftheCool
prettyontheinsidex
Grant Michael
visible_karma
thebends
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

Rank the Albums - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:32 am

1. The 59 Sound

2. American Slang
3. Sink or Swim

4. Handwritten
Back to top Go down
tom.TGA.punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am

sink or swim
handwritten
59 sound
senor
handwritten
Back to top Go down
Jables
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jables

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 am

tom.TGA.punk wrote:
sink or swim
handwritten
59 sound
senor
handwritten

Yes, quite...?
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

An impossible choice. But...

TGA Albums:
1. American Slang
2. 59 Sound
3. Sink or Swim
4. Handwritten

If you factor in Elsie, it's on top of the list, but that's not really a Gaslight album, now is it?
Back to top Go down
tom.TGA.punk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Jables wrote:
tom.TGA.punk wrote:
sink or swim
handwritten
59 sound
senor
handwritten

Yes, quite...?

i meant american slang last not handwritten
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 11:10 pm

1. SATQ
2. Sink or Swim
3. Handwritten (for now)
4. 59 sound
5. American Slang

Not easy... and differences are minor
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
Definitely_Josef
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Definitely_Josef

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

Folks, I thought about this thread for almost four days. No, really!

But I give up; I just can’t decide on the matter. I came to acknowledge the absurdity of this question – at least for myself. Ranking one of their albums better than another doesn’t work – I love them all too much and what I like to listen to at the very moment always derives from my current situation, my general mood, the time of the day, if I am listening unaccompanied or in company (and what I'm doing with my company) and so on and so forth… Thus, my "favorite" changes with/over time.
Back to top Go down
covsc1922
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 pm

1. Sink or Swim 10/10
2. 59 Sound 9.5/10
3. Handwritten 7.5/10
4. American Slang 7/10

SoS is my fav. album for the last 15 years. 59 is a great one too. HW an AS are very solid and i like both.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 pm

American Slang
Elsie
Sink or Swim
Senor and the Queen
59 Sound
iTunes Session
Handwritten
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Just out of curiousity... most people other than me do not have SATQ at the top of their list. Is it the length, the music, or just that all of their stuff is so good it just didn't make the cut? Not that I expect anyone to have to share the same opinion as me... there is just something about that EP just makes my bone marrow quiver...
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 pm

'59 Sound
Handwritten
Elsie
Sink or Swim
Senor And The Queen
American Slang

...the ranking might be changing in a while Wink
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 10:35 pm

hostutca wrote:
Just out of curiousity... most people other than me do not have SATQ at the top of their list. Is it the length, the music, or just that all of their stuff is so good it just didn't make the cut? Not that I expect anyone to have to share the same opinion as me... there is just something about that EP just makes my bone marrow quiver...

Oh it's fantastic. Probably 3 of my top 5 Gaslight songs are on that list. But I don't think that EPs and LPS are really comparable.

Anyway,

The '59 Sound
Sink or Swim
----
American Slang
----
Elsie
----
Handwritten
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 am

59 Sound
SoS
Handwritten
American Slang
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm

simo wrote:
hostutca wrote:

Oh it's fantastic. Probably 3 of my top 5 Gaslight songs are on that list. But I don't think that EPs and LPS are really comparable.

That's what I was thinking the difference was...
Back to top Go down
peteswell
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Impossible but if I had to.

1. The 59 Sound
2. Handwritten
3. American Slang
4. Sink or Swim

Elsie if GLA would be 5.
I love Senor and the Queen but it is too short to compare.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Didn't think Handwritten would top The '59 Sound for me but now I am sure it just about has.

1. Handwritten
2. The '59 Sound
3. American Slang
4. Sink Or Swim
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm

59 sound
American Slang
Handwritten
Senor and the Queen
Sink or Swim
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 pm

The 59' Sound
Sink or Swim
Handwritten
American Slang
Senor and the Queen

So difficult for me, and my rankings have changed many times over the years. For a long time, I would've ranked American Slang higher than The 59' Sound as it sounded more raw, distinct, and provided some really heart felt and sincere lyrics. Sink or Swim has always been near the top, one of my favourite punk albums ever and the band delivers on every song. Handwritten is still fresh so I tried not to allow hype and bias affect my rating too much; it's a fantastic album, Alex R. has put in his best effort yet, but there are small things that I'm not a huge fan of (like the ah ah ahhhhs in Desire, just seems forced to conform to 90s music/pay homage to grunge. Usually when Brian references something, it's done in a clever and subtle way, but this one just doesn't work that well for me). Senor and the Queen is that the bottom on the sole premise of quantity of songs Razz
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

This is going to sound pretentious but I don't think you can rank art. I used to make lists all the time, but now I realize that as long as it's real it's got merit. So, for Gaslight, here's why I love each one:

Sink Or Swim - The first, where it all started. It's got that desperate quality that seems to scream out, "Here goes nothing!" They had no idea if they had an audience at the time and they just put down what they had, which happened to be amazing. Because of that, probably the most honest record they'll ever make, which is the same thing with most artists.

The '59 Sound - What else can be said about this that hasn't been said? They were going for something and they absolutely nailed it, every aspect. Some complain about the production but it fits so well and it ties the album together unbelievably well. Gives me an unexplainable rush any time I put it on.

American Slang - A very "free" sounding record. Open space. Very good for breezy June afternoon drives. We haven't heard the guys sounding this carefree since this record.

Elsie - The ultimate break-up/lost love/lonely romantic album. It is a record you have to be in the mood for it, but when you are...perfection.

Handwritten - Big, big, big. Brian contorting his vocal cords every which way to grab the listener. And once he's reeled you in you can't escape, nor do you want to. Stripped-down lyrics that cut right to the bone. The production, in my opinion, gives it more replay value than any of the others. There's so much going on that you can't possibly absorb it all even in 5 listens. You need 50.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
This is going to sound pretentious but I don't think you can rank art. I used to make lists all the time, but now I realize that as long as it's real it's got merit.

Agreed! That's probably why we all change the order we rank these albums/songs so much. I think we feel like we have to rank them or one has to be better than another but that's not always the case.
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm

1. The 59 Sound
2. Sink or Swim
3. Senor and the Queen
4. American Slang
5. Handwritten
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Really hard for me.I discovered them with 59 sound and I guess it's still my favourite.I really loved American Slang 'cause I kept listening it for weeks after it came out;It took me a little to completely love Sink or Swim, now it's one of my favourite album in general not only TGA.
I'm pretty shure that for now Handwritten it's the one I like less but it's a great great album.
So...It may be this way
1-59 Sound
2-American Slang/Sink or Swim
3-Senor and the Queen
4-Handwritten

Could clearly change in a week Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

1. The 59 Sound
2. Sink or Swim
3. American Slang / Handwritten

I'm a pretty new TGA fan, though, so it may take more listens!
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Not sure if I've posted here already. But as of right now:

1. 59S
2. SoS
3. Handwritten
4. American Slang
Back to top Go down
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Alright, finally figured out my rankings:

1. Sink or Swim = The 59 Sound
2. Senor And The Queen
3. Elsie
4. American Slang = Handwritten
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank the Albums   Rank the Albums - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank the Albums
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next