DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs

Go down 
+18
DianaAntonia
janiejones
big blue
HorribleCrowe
DaleCooper
onbackstreetsinbackseats
bringiton
StitchesOnTheRadio
ral
luckyman
CluckyB
bringiton_ty
brianisbae
Klown
Shrewsbury_Stars
steph
SubconsciousRitual
markbarlow
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Empty
PostSubject: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:09 pm

This might be slightly off-topic for the Tour forum but I thought that given a lot of us will be going to multiple gigs over the coming months it warrants a discussion and would get more exposure here.

With the exception of one gig, when my ears were in pain after half an hour (Rise Against), I've always dismissed wearing earplugs because I wanted the "full experience". I tend to suffer from ringing ears after gigs and suspect I may have mild tinnitus (though its not bad enough to bother me thankfully). On the UK TGA tour I'm attending 5 gigs in 6 days as well as other bands' gigs during Oct/Nov - this is gonna put a lot of strain on my ears so I'm thinking (maybe just getting old) that it might be time to invest in some ear plugs.

Anybody else wear plugs to gigs? I've worn the foam ones you can get for free in most UK venues and they're dreadful - just muffle the sound and make it close to unlistenable. I'd welcome recommendations on higher quality plugs. I know you can get custom made ones which are meant to be excellent but they're £100+. I'm considering spending around £20 on some Alpine Music Safe ones from Amazon but would welcome any recommendations.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm with you on not wearing them. I've always been told I should, but I find them uncomfortable and I feel like I'm missing out. I love loud music, and unfortunately I think the damage that's been done to my hearing just enforces the cycle of even louder music/more damage as time goes on. I keep telling myself that by the time I'm really old there will be a good, easy fix to hearing loss, but being proactive would be smarter.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:16 pm

SubconsciousRitual wrote:
I'm with you on not wearing them. I've always been told I should, but I find them uncomfortable and I feel like I'm missing out. I love loud music, and unfortunately I think the damage that's been done to my hearing just enforces the cycle of even louder music/more damage as time goes on. I keep telling myself that by the time I'm really old there will be a good, easy fix to hearing loss, but being proactive would be smarter.

i tell myself the same thing about there being an easy fix for hearing loss by the time i'm really affected by it Razz High Five

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Great topic and one that is near and dear to my heart. I've been to many hundreds of shows over the years. I've worn ear plugs to virtually every show since sophomore year in high school. I truly believe that I would have major hearing loss by now were it not for my trusty ear plugs.

Interestingly, I find that ear plugs actually improve the sound for me at shows by drowning out a lot of distortion and background noise. It's also great to go to sleep after a show without my ears ringing.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 pm

I know a lot of regular gig goers that swear by them, and that it makes the sound so much clearer. Certainly something I would like to try out one time, add to the fact I had vents and stuff in, as a kid, and have small ears (stop laughing at the back!!!) means that every little helps. Saying all that, I never really get that badly affected, guess I'm lucky (so far...)

Worst gig I ever had for loud volume was Def Leppard (again, stop laughing at the back) they had been moved down a venue, but obviously hadn't allowed for the setup, was deafened that night.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I always wear ear plugs to shows now. I never did before and now I've lost some hearing and get headaches and stuff from loud noises. I think it's all related.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

I know i probably should but just cant. If it makes it clearer then thats tempting! just doesnt appeal to me and the amount of gigs ive played and been to has probably ruined my hearing already Sad lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

What's that? Can't hear you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Great topic and one that is near and dear to my heart. I've been to many hundreds of shows over the years. I've worn ear plugs to virtually every show since sophomore year in high school. I truly believe that I would have major hearing loss by now were it not for my trusty ear plugs.

Interestingly, I find that ear plugs actually improve the sound for me at shows by drowning out a lot of distortion and background noise. It's also great to go to sleep after a show without my ears ringing.

NicholasHorror wrote:
I always wear ear plugs to shows now. I never did before and now I've lost some hearing and get headaches and stuff from loud noises. I think it's all related.

Do you both just wear the cheap, foam ones or did you buy some higher quality ones? I've been doing a bit more research and the ACS/Elacin ER20 also get good reviews and are less than £20.

Glad this has provoked a few responses as its been a bit of a concern for me for a while. I consider music (live, on the hifi and playing guitar) my main hobby so would be distraught if I even partially lost my hearing.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:26 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

NicholasHorror wrote:

Do you both just wear the cheap, foam ones or did you buy some higher quality ones? I've been doing a bit more research and the ACS/Elacin ER20 also get good reviews and are less than £20.

Glad this has provoked a few responses as its been a bit of a concern for me for a while. I consider music (live, on the hifi and playing guitar) my main hobby so would be distraught if I even partially lost my hearing.

I wear the cheap ones and they do the trick just fine for me. I prefer the "extra soft" foam because I'm delicate.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ear+plugs&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1828&bih=851&wrapid=tlif134462682674010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15188482982289480003&sa=X&ei=qWAlUM3iOaez6wHU2IGgCw&ved=0CJUBEPMCMAU4Cg
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah I wear the cheap ones too. They work great! Just make sure you put them in the right way. I've seen a lot of people have them sticking out awkwardly and stuff
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003S3RFIQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHZFBH438Y5RB7QCDP0 or something similar is an idiot. They are ten bucks. That is like a third the cost of the concert ticket probably. They make the show sound significantly better so you can actually hear the instrumentation and vocals, not just sound. And you will actually be able to hear after the show. Shows are fun, but why risk perminately ruining your hearing for them?

The foam ones are crap. They simply block sound so everything you're hearing is just quieter. But those will cut out the high frequency sound that will hurt your ears (and thens to be background noise at concerts) leaving the actual music in tact.
Back to top Go down
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:43 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003S3RFIQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHZFBH438Y5RB7QCDP0 or something similar is an idiot. They are ten bucks. That is like a third the cost of the concert ticket probably. They make the show sound significantly better so you can actually hear the instrumentation and vocals, not just sound. And you will actually be able to hear after the show. Shows are fun, but why risk perminately ruining your hearing for them?

The foam ones are crap. They simply block sound so everything you're hearing is just quieter. But those will cut out the high frequency sound that will hurt your ears (and thens to be background noise at concerts) leaving the actual music in tact.
Yea these look to be the same as the ER20s you can get in the UK which I think I've settled on.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:43 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: or something similar is an idiot.

You really have a way with words. Are you always this angry and judgmental?
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Been thinking about this myself, even more so since going to Gaslight gigs with my daughter who wants to be front row every show.

Sure my ears have gone worse since the 2010 TGA tour and taking my nephew watching Motorhead!

Last edited by luckyman on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I can't afford anything closer than 40,000,000 feet away from the stage, so I'm good without ear plugs
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Klown wrote:
What's that? Can't hear you.
haha not long and this will be true im sure. had a ear infection a year back which gave me a horrible whirring noise in my ear for a week and that scared the hell outta me. My old man has worked on building sites all his life and has tinitus....not fun from what hes told me so maybe its time to plug for gigs
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Motorhead will do it haha! Well i attend and play more than 2 shows a year and dont consider myself an idiot thanx. Never see bands wearing ear plugs that i can recall, anyone seen bands play who do outta curiosity?
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't musicians always wear ear plugs?
Back to top Go down
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Maybe you're thinking of the in-ear monitors that some musicians wear?
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Suppose it depends on the bands, i cant recall any really.Im thinking of any "big" bands who do. But i have seen/played with some starnge style bands also who barely wash and have serious hygiene issues let alone worry about ear protection lol
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Could be. How do they not go deaf? If they're not going deaf then I won't go deaf. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:01 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Maybe you're thinking of the in-ear monitors that some musicians wear?
haha yeah not counting those!
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Could be. How do they not go deaf? If they're not going deaf then I won't go deaf. Laughing
my thinking too Smile haha......though i know it will probably catch up with me
Back to top Go down
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:09 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
my thinking too Smile haha......though i know it will probably catch up with me
Well I don't think you guys are being serious but if you are, the band only really hear their on-stage monitors which are much quieter. All the loud PA speakers point outwards towards our tender ears in the audience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next