DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs

Go down 
+3
Yozzy
IrishNameAndAnInjury
gaslightfan89
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Empty
PostSubject: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Me and my friend are huge Gaslight fans and while talking about Handwritten we came up with a 1 to 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs it goes as followed.

5- All time great Gaslight song one of the best they have ever done.
4- Really good song rarely gets skipped, one of the stronger songs on an album
3- Solid song not going to get skipped too often but not a uber stand out
2- Decent song, sort of forgettable, gets skipped semi regularly but listenable and enjoyable.
1- Totally skip able track rarely gets listened to.

Simple system as we were reviewing Handwritten I gave the songs the following ratings

45- 4 - Good song, love the fast pace, one of the songs I gravitate towards.
Handwritten - 5- I think its one of the best songs on the album and one of their best songs
Here Comes My Man - 3 - Solid track but sometimes I find it a little cheesy
Mulholland Drive - 3 - Nice little Blues type song a little slow at times
Keepsake - 2 - Just kind or slow and plodding (Probably the close to getting a 1)
Too Much Blood - 2 - Just too slow the song could be shorter
Howl - 5 - A great burst of energy type song reminds me of a refined Wooderson
Biloxi Parrish - 4 - A very strong track one of my favorites solid mix of Blues and Rock
Desire - 3 - Keeps the pace of the album up, nice track but not one of the best fast songs.
Mae - 3 - Nice slow song great lyrics but it doesn't click with me as much as it should
National Anthem - 4 - One of the best slow Gaslight songs out there
Blue Dahlia - 5 - Why this was a bonus track is beyond me is beyond me its great
Teenage Rebellion - 3 - Nice track I could see why its a bonus track though.

As for the covers

Silver 3 - Solid cover but too straight forward
You got Luckey 2 - For whatever reason can't get into Gaslight covering Tom Petty.

Overall I loved Handwritten I think it surpasses American Slang and Sink or Swim and its in the same class as the 59 Sound. Going to have to give it sometime to see which one is better but overall I liked the album a lot.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

This is a fun idea! Very Happy

"45" - 4 - Great message, fast paced, and fun to sing along to.

"Handwritten" - 5 - A masterpiece that I relate to really closely.

"Here Comes My Man" - 5 - I love that it comes from a female point of view. Brian did an awesome job!

"Mulholland Drive" - 5 - This is one of the coolest songs Gaslight has ever recorded. I love the bluesy feel and the line "And I'd just die if you ever took your love away" gets me every time.

"Keepsake" - 4 - One of the most emotional songs Brian has ever written. It's amazing, but so sad.

"Too Much Blood" - 5 - My favorite Gaslight song ever. Basically describes a big part of my personality.

"Howl" - 3 - It's a fun song, but I don't connect with it as much as the others. I won't skip it very often, but it's not my favorite.

"Biloxi Parish" - 4 - I have loved this song since it was first put on YouTube last year. It has a great sound and the lyrics are really strong, especially the chorus.

"Desire" - 4 - One of the most passionate songs Brian has written.

"Mae" - 5 - This song is perfection. So romantic, beautiful, and poetic. One of my all-time favorites.

"National Anthem" - 4 - I like having an acoustic closer, like Red at Night, and National Anthem is a great song about looking in the past and seeing how much different things are now.

"Blue Dahlia" - 5 - Blue Dahlia is gorgeous. I think it's the most poetic song on the album and should have been a regular track, not a bonus. I love this song so much.

"Teenage Rebellion" - 3 - I have only listened to it a few times, and I think it's a good song, I like the lyrics, but it doesn't really stand out to me yet. I think after a few more listens I will probably have to change this to a 4.

"Sliver" - 2 - I just can't get into this one. It's not bad, it's just kind of whatever for me. I think they could have picked a better song to cover, but it's still okay.

"You Got Lucky" - 4 - They did Tom proud! I love when they cover classic rock songs, and this was a great choice.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 pm

45- 3
Handwritten - 4
Here Comes My Man - 4
Mulholland Drive - 4
Keepsake - 4
Too Much Blood - 4
Howl - 2
Biloxi Parrish - 4
Desire - 1
Mae - 5
National Anthem - 5
Blue Dahlia - 4
Teenage Rebellion - 1
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

45- 1
Handwritten - 5
Here Comes My Man - 3
Mulholland Drive - 4
Keepsake - 5
Too Much Blood - 4
Howl - 2 (Would be a one but the spoken word bit is just enough to keep it afloat)
Biloxi Parrish - 4
Desire - 1
Mae - 5
National Anthem - 2
Blue Dahlia - 5
Teenage Rebellion - 2 (I don't really remember it that well, just that it sounds a lot like Bon Iver)

The fact that there are Gaslight songs out there now that warrant a 1 makes me feel very sad inside.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:20 pm

45 – 5 – I love the theme of it, and singing/dancing along

Handwritten – 5 – So catchy and easy to relate to

Here Comes My Man – 4 – Catchy and empowering. It’s a difficult song to pull off without seeming silly, and they totally succeed.

Mulholland Drive – 5 – I love that they take an ordinary line “I’d just die if you ever took your love away” and mix it up. He’s wondering if she’s hoping that he’ll say it to her, and then he’s aching to hear her say it to him, but who knows how she feels. I dig the guitar in this song, and the powerful ending.

Keepsake – 3 – This one kind of bores me, but it’s been growing on me.

Too Much Blood – 2 – This one kind of bores me too. Lyrically it’s okay but the music bores me and it’s a bit slow.

Howl – 3 – It doesn’t really do much for me, but it is catchy.

Biloxi Parrish – 4 – Great, catchy, upbeat song.

Desire – 2 – Boring again. Kind of catchy, but dull.

Mae – 5 – Favorite song on the album. Beautiful and heartbreaking, but cathartic.

National Anthem – 5 – Another beautiful song.

Blue Dahlia – 4 – His intonation on the lines “Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart” really bugs me, but the rest of the song is beautiful.

Teenage Rebellion – 5 – Another beautiful song. I like the raw sound.

Sliver – 1 – I don’t like this song at all, but I don’t like Nirvana at all so that’s probably why.
You Got Lucky – 2 – The first few times I heard this I thought it was great but then I got tired of it. It’s a great band singing a great song, but I’d rather hear any original Gaslight song instead.

I still think it's early and some of the lower #s might move up with time. It's really a great album.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 am

Going to rate the 59 Sound as I think its their other great album

Great Expectations- 5- Its the song that got me into TGA
The 59 Sound- 4- Very fun tune embodies the theme of the album
Old White Lincoln- 3- Solid little tune but blends in with a lot of the album
High and Lonesome- 4 - Very good song one of the strongest on the album
Film Noir - 3- Fun tune, but doesn't stand out as much as some other songs
Miles Davis and the Cool- 3 - Solid tune little slow for my tastes
Patient and the Ferris Wheel - 3 - Fun song could use a little more punch.
Casanova baby! - 4- Very fun song, reminds me of the summer
Even Cowgirls get the Blues - 1 - Just not into the song at all
Meet me by the Rivers Edge - 5 - One of TGA's best
Here's looking at you kid - 5 - The premier TGA slow song
The Backseat - 3- Nice capper to the album
Once Upon a time - 3- Really nice cover

Love the 59 Sound, its still TGA's best work although the more time I give Handwritten it could get a run for its money.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 am

45- 2
Handwritten - 5
Here Comes My Man - 2
Mulholland Drive - 3
Keepsake - 5
Too Much Blood - 4
Howl - 4
Biloxi Parrish - 3
Desire - 4
Mae - 5
National Anthem - 2
Blue Dahlia - 4
Teenage Rebellion - 1

I kind of overlistened to 45, Here Comes My Man, and Biloxi Parish prior to the album release.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
Troubadour
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Troubadour

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 am

45- 4 - Was really into it when they released it, but I think I wore it out before the album was released.

Handwritten - 5 - I first heard the song on NPR and loved it. After watching the video im sold it'll remain one of the best in their catalogue

Here Comes My Man - 3 - Not really sold when I seen it on Letterman, still just getting into it.

Mulholland Drive - 5 - The guitar alone makes this song a 5. The last minute of guitar is probably the best on any gaslight record.

Keepsake - 5 - Havent skipped this one yet.

Too Much Blood - 4 - Would be 5 except for the growling throughout the song... Just dont like it from Brian

Howl - 4 - A couple of reviews before the album came out touted this as the song to define Gaslight... not so sure. I do love it, but I think that Biloxi Parish, Handwritten, Mulholland Drive, and Blue Dahlia make much better songs

Biloxi Parrish - 5 - Im a huge Gaslight fan yet I had not heard this until they played it live on Letterman. I cant get over how much emotion is laced into this song. Also, completely dig the guitar all the way through. Great lyrics.

Desire - 4 - Typical TGA song, could place it on 59' Sound or even American Slang

Mae - 5 - Seriously, I want these guys to just write a whole album of the slower songs with melodic guitar. I mean, the fast ones are great but these ones just resonate with me much longer. I can still listen to She Loves You or Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts and get the full effect from them. Brian is hands down my favourite lyricist of this generation. Also Cherry Blossoms in my opinion is the best song on Elsie, just sayin'.

National Anthem - 5 - "Now she just screams how i promised her more than this. Take it easy baby, it aint over yet" Same as above. Reminiscent of the songs off of Senor and the Queen.

Blue Dahlia - 5 - Im very curious as to why this was not the album closer... as with "She Loves You" on American Slang it seams like they just wanted an amazing bonus track. Its got the precision of American Slang but the fire from Sink or Swim.

All in all Im loving this new album, I wish i could see the whole cd live. I was worried when Brian said in on of the interviews leasing up to Handwritten that he didn't know if he had anymore Gaslight songs in him, he doesn't seem like the type of guy to stick with the same thing (sound) for too long. Even though I loved Elsie, I would much rather a new TGA record over THC any day.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs    1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1 through 5 rating system for Gaslight Songs
Page 1 of 1