DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank the songs on Handwritten

Go down 
+54
peteswell
DianaAntonia
Ghost
rsi1991
beholdhurricanej
AudreyHepburnPearls
Definitely_Josef
BuddyHolly
Jables
colmillionaire
VanillaMintFusion
sportshack
EveryLittleSecret
Reinvent good times
gking92
NYYFAN523
OldManShoes3
Emusic
40 Miler
matkins
onbackstreetsinbackseats
thebends
Jerseyrain
Jack
Lexicon
Yekith
MKULTRA
realmgeorge
PPQ
TheContender
thomas94
The Cool
Yozzy
Bea
bringiton_ty
Matilda Noir
rgillies
Xanthias
StitchesOnTheRadio
rumham
SubconsciousRitual
eagles1139
TGAforLIFE
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Breanne
Christophe
brianisbae
simo
nebraska
The Angry Johnny Revue
saltandburn1967
CluckyB
loazis
IrishNameAndAnInjury
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

thomas94 wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
beholdhurricanej wrote:
^ lol no offense taken, it's all in fun Very Happy

I agree that the video for Handwritten didn't exactly match the song---it was moreso the emotional, nostalgic aura of the music video ("music brings us all together!") that made me associate the song with a happier connotation. It made me really feel the lyrics a lot more. To be honest, it's probably purely psychological. Video makes me happy > song was in the video > song makes me happy Laughing But hey, whatever works.

Didn't know Keepsake was a true story, assuming he's speaking in his dad's perspective? Either way, it's probably not the disconnect between the speaker in real life and the person he's singing as that turns me off, it's probably just the subject matter I'm not a fan of, personal as it may be. I'm not used to Brian being THAT honest (my fault, I know). Like you said about TMB, he may be spilling a little too much...too dark for a Gaslight song personally. Even then, it's not as subtly brilliant as say "1930" is (still dark and family related, but beautifully covert about it). Still not a fan of the chorus, but thanks a bunch for clearing up the lyrics though, haha.

That explanation definitely helps, good to know Smile The lyrics are definitely alright with me, I was speaking about TMB from more of a musical perspective. I feel like they went a different, harder route without really doing anything interesting or fun. While Brian gets to show off his voice I don't think the music or melody lives up to it. I feel like it tries to be that one unique standout song that turns the album up to 11 and wows everyone in concert, but I'm pretty much bored by it hehe

Hey, I messaged you so we don't derail the thread, haha.

Bummer Crying or Very sad . The discussion was interesting to read..

Haha ok fine, here's what I sent in response. Apologies for the derailing.

Quote :
"I totally get the psychological element with the video. Funny enough, my psyche has chosen not to associate the song with the video at all. I love both of them but when I hear the song in the video vs on my ipod it's two completely different songs (to me) and I prefer the ipod one.

Keepsake is about his father but it's Brian's perspective. My take is, he's dealing with his anger and having to just put his feelings about the whole thing somewhere safe and just bury it there and move on. It's also about his desire to just love a father who has the same blood. To know where he came from and have that person in his life who is just like him (I'm interpreting myself and paraphrasing from what Brian has said). In the Visions article (you can find the thread for it somewhere here) he talks about more general meaning for the song, it's worth checking out. It is dark I agree and less romanticized. I think a lot of people are kinda weirded out (for lack of a better term) by that aspect of this record.

TMB's problem is it's too long without offering something new and it sounds like straight up grunge. But I like it anyway and I love the lyrics. I totally get your point though."
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 am

For me:

Blue Dahlia
Handwritten
Biloxi Parish
Here Comes My Man
Mae
National Anthem
Mulholland Drive
Keepsake
Too Much Blood
Howl
Desire

I seem to be the only one not getting into 'Howl'. 'Desire' is the first Gaslight song I skip on every listen Sad.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:38 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Haha ok fine, here's what I sent in response. Apologies for the derailing.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DianaAntonia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 pm

This is so hard! I'll give it a try, but this list would probably change totally if I write it again tomorrow!

1. 45
2. Mullholland Drive
3. Handwritten
4. Howl
5. Biloxi Parish
6. Too much blood
7. Here Comes my man
8. Desire
9. Keepsake
10. Mae
11. National Anthem

Edit: Blue Dahlia should be somewhere in the top as well!
Back to top Go down
peteswell
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 am

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Biloxi Parish
3. Blue Dhalia
4. Howl
5. Mae
6. Keepsake
7. 45
8. Here Comes My Man
9. Handwritten
10. Desire
11. Too Much Blood
12. National Anthem
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 12:14 pm

I just realized it seems like no one has Blue Dahlia anywhere near the bottom...why that didn't make the album I will never know.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm

1- National Anthem
2- Here Comes My Man
3- Muholland Drive
4- Mae
5- Too Much Blood
6- Blue Dahlia
7-Handwritten
8- Biloxi Parish
9- Keepsake
10- Howl
11- Desire
12- "45"
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm

1. Blue Dahlia
2. 45
3. Mae
4. Biloxi Parish
5. Keepsake
6. National Anthem
7. Desire
8. Here Comes My Man
9. Howl
10. Handwritten
11. Teenage Rebellion
12. Too Much Blood
13. Mulholland Drive

I finally wrote my own track-by-track review of the album, if you're interested:

http://popculturenotes.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten-2012.html
Back to top Go down
Afzoomie67
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Afzoomie67

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 am

So the two covers don't count?

Mullholland Drive
Biloxi Parish
Here Comes My Man
---------------
Blue Dahlia
Howl
Desire
Too Much Blood
"45"
Keepsake
---------------
(Teenage Rebellion)
Mae
Handwritten
National Anthem
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm

1. Howl
2. Here comes my man
3. Mulholland Drive
4. 45
5. Handwritten
6. Biloxi Parish
7. Desire
8 Mae
9. Keepsake
10. Too Much Blood
11. National Anthem
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank the songs on Handwritten   Rank the songs on Handwritten - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank the songs on Handwritten
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4