DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning

Go down 
+23
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
4sparks
megan125
simo
OldManShoes3
loazis
JJW319
StitchesOnTheRadio
SubconsciousRitual
acousticbandit
Afzoomie67
snakester
ral
AGoodTime
gtalbott
Ghost
Bea
Christophe
Jack
steady now steady now
MKULTRA
Jerseyrain
eagles1139
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Man, holy crap. My favorite song off Handwritten, hands down.

It really has that '59 Sound vibe, which probably was the reason for not having it on the album. It's so good though.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Is anyone else really annoyed by the weird clicking sound at the end of the song? Don't think it's been mentioned yet, during the "come see about me" part at the end there's a weird sound every 4 beats.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I thinking coming clean and apologies is that he was unfaithful or was at fault for the relationship ending explaining his loneliness
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

OldManShoes3 wrote:
Is anyone else really annoyed by the weird clicking sound at the end of the song? Don't think it's been mentioned yet, during the "come see about me" part at the end there's a weird sound every 4 beats.

yeah I'm not sure what to make of it...
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 pm

OldManShoes3 wrote:

I don't know what it's called but it's just a little percussion instrument
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 am

subconscious ritual wrote:
"Every street light, a reminder" is from Nightswimming (REM). Brought back some memories when I heard that line.

beautiful song
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 am

simo wrote:
OldManShoes3 wrote:

I don't know what it's called but it's just a little percussion instrument

Castanets? It kinda sounds like that to me.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 am

I thought it was one of these:

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Bs61_1

I don't really think it's necessary but it doesn't annoy me either luckily.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

I thought it was one of those too. The first time I heard it I thought my headphones were playing up haha. Doesn't detract from the awesomeness of this song.
Back to top Go down
megan125
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
megan125

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:38 am

I just read this,
"Strangely, no blue variety has ever been cultivated, hence "blue dahlia" is sometimes used figuratively for something impossible or unattainable"

Makes perfect sense now!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 am

loazis wrote:
I thought it was one of these:

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Bs61_1

I don't really think it's necessary but it doesn't annoy me either luckily.

I believe it's actually some of these:

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Castanets1
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
4sparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 am

Hey guys, as a fan of both the band and the film, I thought I'd weigh in. Expect spoilers for the movie, but since it was never released on DVD, you won't likely see it soon. You'll have to find an old copy on VHS or hope it comes on TV.

Blue Dahlia is a dark and accurate portrayal of men returning from World War II. Our hero returns to his estranged wife who is cold, cruel, and gloats that she has cheated on him. Her drunken irresponsible behavior while he was overseas at war caused the death of their child. They have a public argument, and she is found dead. He is wanted for her murder, but believes the owner of The Blue Dahlia night club (I believed they died the flowers blue) is the murderer. He sets out to prove his innocence, and meets a girl on the road. She is damaged goods, and he has to clear his name before they can be together. It's a murder mystery film noir thriller not to be missed.

Like many Gaslight Anthem songs, i.e. Great Expectations, the influences from the stories with the the same title are often loose and veer off from the books, movies, or other songs.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 am

Its kind of obvious why this wasn't on the album despite being a favourite for a lot of people. Its too throwback to the 59 Sound album. Not necessarilly in sound but lyrically. In the third verse alone there are three references to 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy) so I think it was left off so as not to draw the usual Springsteen comparisons.

Interested to see this film though!! Even if the song wasnt entirely written about it, it seems like it relates a little.
Back to top Go down
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StateOfLoveAndGaslight

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Its kind of obvious why this wasn't on the album despite being a favourite for a lot of people. Its too throwback to the 59 Sound album. Not necessarilly in sound but lyrically. In the third verse alone there are three references to 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy) so I think it was left off so as not to draw the usual Springsteen comparisons.

Interested to see this film though!! Even if the song wasnt entirely written about it, it seems like it relates a little.

I tend to agree, but I feel like with a little bit of reworking this song still could have been an absolute hit even though it's definitely a 59S throwback. Don't get me wrong at all, I love this song, but I almost feel like it's a bunch of somewhat disjointed parts, each of which I individually love. If this hadn't been an extra track, and had received the attention and revisions of a full album track, it would have been possibly gotten into my top 3 TGA songs ever. As it is though, it's pretty high up there for me anyway, and it grows on me a bit more every day.
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:07 pm

StateOfLoveAndGaslight wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

I tend to agree, but I feel like with a little bit of reworking this song still could have been an absolute hit even though it's definitely a 59S throwback. Don't get me wrong at all, I love this song, but I almost feel like it's a bunch of somewhat disjointed parts, each of which I individually love. If this hadn't been an extra track, and had received the attention and revisions of a full album track, it would have been possibly gotten into my top 3 TGA songs ever. As it is though, it's pretty high up there for me anyway, and it grows on me a bit more every day.

Its definitely up there for me too. What was it in particular that bothered you though? The key change is kind of jarring at first but once you expect it it sounds great. And other than that I can't really think of anything "wrong" with the song.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 am

I really didn't like it the first many times I heard it. I hated the key change and thought certain parts didn't fit. Now i love it and it's one of my favorites. I love how it's loud, then goes to a really "cool" sounding verse, then loud chorus, then jumps right back into the verse. Sounds like a dream to me, which is really really awesome.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am

I feel the same way about the key change, but it's definitely grown on me. Lyrically it's a beautiful song.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 am

Loving this song!!!!! playing it loud in the car and singing it proud
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:31 pm

THE question is: will they play this live? They haven't done so far, but I can imagine that this would be a fenomenal addition to the setlist... I can even think of it as a show closer (or perhaps right before the encore)
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 pm

mingus wrote:
THE question is: will they play this live? They haven't done so far, but I can imagine that this would be a fenomenal addition to the setlist... I can even think of it as a show closer (or perhaps right before the encore)

I can't see them ignoring it. at all.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Im gonna damn well request it!!!!
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 pm

JJW319 wrote:
mingus wrote:

I can't see them ignoring it. at all.

Don't know... They didn't play it at in New York, which was a day after the album release and which had eight album songs in it.

On the other hand, it took a while before they started playing She Loves You. So, fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
Im gonna damn well request it!!!!

Me too for Birmingham! If a few of us all request it you never know maybe they will play it!
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:03 pm

well get a chant going, or try and meet them before and ask haha!!! be awesome to hear that live Smile
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 pm

mingus wrote:

Id hope so. She Loves You has had a lot of plays now!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Blue Dahlia" song meaning   "Blue Dahlia" song meaning - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Blue Dahlia" song meaning
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next