DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45

Go down 
+24
desolationmoonlight
simo
thomas94
Rxyz
gaslightfan89
CluckyB
kirstyt
brianisbae
Daire
Jack
Vibes
JJW319
Debonair
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
TheSultanOfSwing
jdc
Jeff
Prisoner
IrishNameAndAnInjury
White Man In Hammersmith
saltandburn1967
Breanne
Klown
rumham
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

I haven't listened to the song yet, but I can't help but feel if it was the other way around people on here would be going nuts.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Daire wrote:
I haven't listened to the song yet, but I can't help but feel if it was the other way around people on here would be going nuts.

If they do, then they are as bad as people yelling 'sell-out' at every chance.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Daire wrote:

You haven't heard 45 yet?
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm

MattL wrote:
While I don't buy into the whole "artists purposely stealing" thing, I do think it's almost insane how much the intro to Take a Run at the Sun sounds compared to 45. Not saying that Gaslight stole, or hell, were even inspired by it (come on, who's ever heard of Muff Potter?), but the resemblance is striking.

I kind of thought the same but looking at their wiki page, they're an alternative/punk rock band from Germany who toured with Chuck Ragan and released a split vinyl with him. We may not know who they are but it wouldn't surprise me if TGA did. I agree, I think since any art is supposed to be a personal expression, stealing intentionally probably would ruine the whole experience and negate any reason for doing it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:54 pm

We've run out of riffs is all. Nothing to be alarmed about. 45 betters all those other songs considerably.

There are a few Springsteen examples of this:

The Badlands/Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood One - this one's already been mentioned but I think Bruce originally wrote the Badlands riff in a minor key and it sounded a lot closer to The Animals. I can't imagine it being anywhere near as anthemic as it is had it stayed that way.
Outlaw Pete/I Was Made for Loving You (Kiss)
Radio Nowhere/Jenny-8675309 (Tommy Tutone)
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 pm

When I first heard the little clip of 45 before the whole song was released, I thought the chorus sounded a lot like the chorus in 'Welcome to the Family' by Avenged Sevenfold. This happens all the time...it doesn't really bother me. From what I've heard on Handwritten (small clips) , three out of five use the same progression in the chorus (or wherever). I'm talking about Am-F-C-G...that progression, only in different keys. Like what they play all through Old White Lincoln
American Slang - 4 (DCSC, Orphans, Old Haunts, Spirit of Jazz).
59 Sound - 7 (Great Expectations, 59 Sound, OWL, High Lonesome, Miles Davis, CB!, HLAY,K)
SatQ - 2 (SatQ, Blue Jeans)
Sink or Swim - 4 (Wooderson, 1930, Drive, Divorce)
They've used the same progression in many or their songs, yet made each one sound totally different. So of course you're going to find similarities - there's only so much you can do with one progression. I know this is a different part of the song, but still, you could find similarities to other songs in any Gaslight song. It doesn't mean they said "hey, let's steal this and hope no one notices!". well, maybe they do, but they've been able to make everything sound original, even 45, despite having an intro like that.

For the Avenged Sevenfold thing, it's around :40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZs7IoWTvc
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Daire wrote:

Maybe some would, but that would be stupid. I don't remember anyone freaking out when Pray For Tucson came out and the verses sounded that much like Meet Me By The River's Edge. Why? Because it doesn't matter. It's all been done by someone before, so just make sure the songs you put out are worthy of an entry into an already crowded world of music. That's what makes it worth listening to.

And just as a general response to the topic at hand, Chuck Ragan's Meet You In The Middle sounds a little like Jenny but I'm not foolish enough to think Chuck was sitting around thinking, "Hey, you know what my fans would go crazy over? Chuck Ragan Does Tommy Tutone!!!"

Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
I'm not foolish enough to think Chuck was sitting around thinking, "Hey, you know what my fans would go crazy over? Chuck Ragan Does Tommy Tutone!!!"

It's Chuck Ragan, if that is what he wants to do, we damn well let him, for fear of consequences. And pain. Mostly pain.
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Klown wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
I'm not foolish enough to think Chuck was sitting around thinking, "Hey, you know what my fans would go crazy over? Chuck Ragan Does Tommy Tutone!!!"

It's Chuck Ragan, if that is what he wants to do, we damn well let him, for fear of consequences. And pain. Mostly pain.

Chuck Ragan I love you

Anyway..
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Daire wrote:

You mean like when a couple of people here got upset because that one airborne toxic event song that sorta sounded likt TQOLC? Smile And that was only 'sorta sounds similar' and not 'its basically the exact same riff'
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:25 am

Its not blatant enough for me to say they stole it, but yeah being that rock and roll is based off of 3 chords a lot of it can sound similar one way or another.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 am

gaslightfan89 wrote:
Its not blatant enough for me to say they stole it, but yeah being that rock and roll is based off of 3 chords a lot of it can sound similar one way or another.

I donno man... its too similar to assume it just randomly happened to sound to say. Is it a complete ripoff? No. But did they get the riff from that song... probably.
Back to top Go down
Rxyz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

It does sound very similar. How did I not notice this before?! I love Muff Potter. I don't think it's a big deal though.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:39 pm

MattL wrote:
While I don't buy into the whole "artists purposely stealing" thing, I do think it's almost insane how much the intro to Take a Run at the Sun sounds compared to 45. Not saying that Gaslight stole, or hell, were even inspired by it (come on, who's ever heard of Muff Potter?), but the resemblance is striking.

I have seen that this has been discussed in another thread before...wondered why there wasn't a big discussion breaking out Very Happy ...now we've got one

In Germany where I live nearly everyone whos really involved to punkrock knows Muff Potter. They are not that unknown at all... They've played with Pennywise, Billy Talent , Queens of the Stone Age or Chuck Ragan/Hot Water Music before..they broke up in 2009 I think. I'm pretty sure Brian didn't copy that part by accident..I think he knew about Muff Potter (there's a lot of interviews where you notice that Brian knows about smaller bands a lot of us wouldn't know)

Last edited by thomas94 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is "borrowed" and I doubt they thought no one would notice. Gaslight has a lot of fans in Germany.
Back to top Go down
desolationmoonlight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 pm

To be honest the 45 riff is one which is very easy just to mess around with a guitar and instantly start playing. It's incredibly simple, and before 45 came out I often found myself playing variants of the exact same chord shapes. The reason it sounds so similar to other songs is Jlblue points out. Music is limited by just 12 notes and as thus, thing will sound the same as other things!
Back to top Go down
Raoul_Duke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Raoul_Duke

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm

and try to guess the Pearl Jam song...
[/quote]

did no-one actually respond to this? or was it rhetorical and not supposed to be?

Its 'Given to Fly' right?

Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Raoul_Duke wrote:

Its 'Given to Fly' right?

Is right Smile Vedder also claimed he had never heard the song when he wrote GTF
Back to top Go down
Raoul_Duke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Raoul_Duke

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:38 pm

get in! do i win a prize?

one of the best PJ songs without doubt.
Back to top Go down
J_Bizness
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Like Nicholas said it is a common chord progression... especially for GA. The riff is just picked chords which makes it even less unique and ultimately it is no problem at all that it sounds like other songs.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm

thomas94 wrote:
MattL wrote:

I have seen that this has been discussed in another thread before...wondered why there wasn't a big discussion breaking out Very Happy ...now we've one

In Germany where I live nearly everyone whos really involved to punkrock knows Muff Potter. They are not that unknown at all... They've played with Pennywise, Billy Talent , Queens of the Stone Age or Chuck Ragan/Hot Water Music before..they broke up in 2009 I think. I'm pretty sure Brian didn't copy that part by accident..I think he knew about Muff Potter (there's a lot of interviews where you notice that Brian knows about smaller bands a lot of us wouldn't know)

muff potter have a split with hot water music, so we know that brian likes hwm, it's obvious that he knows about muff potter Smile
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 pm

I don't know, saying that it's obvious he knows them or has heard them is kind of just random conjecture. I really love the Bouncing Souls, and they've done splits with other bands, but it doesn't mean I listen to... *checks Wikipedia* Anti-Flag, for instance, who they've done a split with. I've heard of them, but I wouldn't be able to name any of their songs, let alone be able to know if something I hear sounds similar to them.

To me it's just silly to make those kinds of assumptions about what was going on in the band's head. All we really know is what they say, and the honesty they tend towards in their music and in their interviews gives me no reason to believe that they would've lifted the riff.

Besides, I keep thinking of the few lines of Too Much Blood that we know:

"Are you scared this sounds familiar?
What if everybody knew
the very trials and temptations that we put ourselves through?
I ain't no angel, but I got nothing to hide..."

It doesn't sound to me like the words of a man who would steal a riff. It sounds to me like the words of a man who would pour his heart into every song he's got, make it his life's work, and treat it seriously. I'm pretty sure that's what the whole "Handwritten" thing is about. Honesty, directness, etc.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

So two picked chords is even considered a riff nowdays?

Oh okay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45    Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight stealing opening Riff to 45
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2