DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If TGA "blows up", how will you react?

Go down 
+26
CluckyB
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
njguy99
Clementine
riversedge
AGoodTime
fatbench
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
DiamondSinatra
bringiton
HorribleCrowe
SirBrad
acousticbandit
kirstyt
loazis
TGAFAN25
enola
Velocity
simo
StitchesOnTheRadio
Klown
eagles1139
Breanne
NeverTrustAJunkie
saltandburn1967
AmSlang59
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Empty
PostSubject: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm curious how you all will react if TGA gets very well known. I'm talking #1 singles, headlining huge venues, on every commercial, etc. I know we all would love to say that we would be happy for them receiving new fans but I know that some people would be upset that their "secret" gained more fans. Think: The Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, The Killers.

I experienced this with the recent success of Fun. I've been a fan of The Format/Fun. for almost a decade and seeing them play on an award show with a-list celebrities singing along was definitely odd. I won't lie, I'm a little upset that they have gotten as big as they are now (They were the "random" band I loved to show people) but I am happy for them. But something still doesn't sit right.

I'd like your honest opinions on this.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't know if my opinion matters that much since I only got into them 7 months ago but they are my favorite band now. I love knowing that I introduced a number of my friends to them and also being part of a smaller fan base BUT it would mean great things for our boys. I believe with the talent they have they deserve to have a huge fanbase. They have earned it and there is no need to keep them in the dark. Sure, we won't feel as special as we once did but I believe people with their level of talent should be put out there to help change them music industry. We all know, that the industry(mainstream) has gone to complete crap. I cringe everytime I hear mainstream rap and musicians such as Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Where is the talent in any of that? The Gaslight Anthem will have a hard time reaching such fame though cause people can't pull their heads out of their asses...........
Back to top Go down
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
I don't know if my opinion matters that much since I only got into them 7 months ago but they are my favorite band now. I love knowing that I introduced a number of my friends to them and also being part of a smaller fan base BUT it would mean great things for our boys. I believe with the talent they have they deserve to have a huge fanbase. They have earned it and there is no need to keep them in the dark. Sure, we won't feel as special as we once did but I believe people with their level of talent should be put out there to help change them music industry. We all know, that the industry(mainstream) has gone to complete crap. I cringe everytime I hear mainstream rap and musicians such as Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Where is the talent in any of that? The Gaslight Anthem will have a hard time reaching such fame though cause people can't pull their heads out of their asses...........

Despite being a fan for less than a year, thank you for putting my feelings into perfect words!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Honestly as long as they keep concert tickets at a price I can afford (which I realize may not always be $20-$30 as they get bigger), and I can go to the shows, then nothing else about their success would affect me in a negative way.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 pm

It'll definitely be very weird, but I'll be so excited for them. When you get down to it, this is their job, and like any other normal job, the ultimate goal is to get to the highest position you can attain. So from past experiences, it's just selfish to get mad at bands becoming popular.
Plus, I've followed way too many bands that have really deserved fame and never got it, and then gave up. (i.e. Valencia) No
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 pm

I dunno I honestly don't think that the music industry is at a stage where Gaslight will "blow up" to the point that anyone could possibly have a problem with it. I probably can't articulate it as well as I mean to but at this time a rock band in the vein of the Gaslight Anthem isn't going to become a household name because it's obvious that they're not doing anything to tailor to the expectations of what makes hit popular songs. I'm sure their fanbase will grow with Handwritten and I'm tremendously happy for them but I really doubt they'll be as big as Green Day or something any time soon.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes but the question was "What would you do IF..."
Wink
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 am

I'll continue listening to them, just the same as before, and ignore what is happening around them. If it annoys people that much, fine, let it take over their lifes and let them post rants on the internet. I'll just ignore them as well. I'm not 15 anymore, where stuff like that probably bothered me. They never where 'my secret' as I always saw people at shows, and I know people that own their stuff...can't be that much of a secret if others know. If peoples opinions of them getting bigger affects how they like something, then they mustn't have liked it for the right reasons in the start, outside of wanting to be that little bit cooler.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
I The Gaslight Anthem will have a hard time reaching such fame though cause people can't pull their heads out of their asses...........

Hahahaha. Sad but true. I went on itunes today and "Call Me Maybe" was number 1.

Anyway, I'd be f*cking ecstatic if they reached that kind of fame.

1. They deserve it. (and that's an understatement)
2. It's about freakin' time.
3. We don't have to feel like we are losing our secret indie band or something because we can smile knowing that we knew these guys early on and believed in them and that we are a small part of why they got there. (as long as we don't turn into jerks about it. Although not gonna lie, I'd probably be right there saying "I knew them before Handwritten!")

Also they'd be one more band that has managed to sneak into the mainstream (with integrity) and that brings us one step closer to "get Rock n Roll back on the radio" to quote a very wise man (I forget his name Razz )

Also Chris, don't worry about being a fan for only 7 months, your opinion still counts! It's not about when you become a fan, only that you do become a fan!

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am

I wouldn't particularly mind as long as they keep making good music.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 am

simo wrote:

This too.

Also over time I've been less worried about losing 'secret' bands because there's always another discovery around the corner. Plus nothing changes THAT much. I saw Green Day play an arena in Binghamton in '94, but then Webster Hall in '09. So they can always play random shows like that.

Obviously my concerns are concert-centric Embarassed

Last edited by NeverTrustAJunkie on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Velocity
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Velocity

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 am

It'll be weird to see them have that kind of success, but I'd be happy for them because they really deserve it. I'd be a little bummed if they had a ton of new "fans" that weren't interested as much in the music as the band's looks, and that feeling of having a band all to yourself would be gone, but I don't think it matters much in the long run. But I think the biggest thing would be if they could never play these smaller venues again. It wouldn't be too cool if one day we had trouble getting tickets to see them at MSG or something.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 am

That's true. I don't really like huge shows. U2 and Bruce are about the only bands I can imagine seeing in a huge setting and still having a good time.
Back to top Go down
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
I The Gaslight Anthem will have a hard time reaching such fame though cause people can't pull their heads out of their asses...........

Also they'd be one more band that has managed to sneak into the mainstream (with integrity) and that brings us one step closer to "get Rock n Roll back on the radio" to quote a very wise man (I forget his name Razz )

I stand by you 100% but rock 'n roll is already back on the radio. The Black Keys are #1 on the Alternative radio charts. If you are talking about "rock 'n roll controlling the charts", I apologize, but it never did. The 60s, 70s, 80s; It never controlled the charts. The Beatles were and are a pop band. From talking to men that were in their 20s during the 60s, they felt the same way about The Beatles that most men on this board feel about Justin Bieber. Pop music has always controlled the charts and always will. The difference is that rock 'n roll bands have longevity and have much more dedicated fan bases.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 am

Well I hope that they become HUGE. Not for me but because that's what they want and deserve. And if they do I'm pretty sure that they stay the same persons who they are now. I also believe that they will never forget where they come from and despite they will be playing arenas I think that they will throw in a club show every once in a while.

So I will just keep going to their gigs and buy their albums Wink

Last edited by enola on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:52 am

Quote :
They never where 'my secret' as I always saw people at shows, and I know people that own their stuff.

Yeh- I found out about them from the radio, so they really weren't a secret to begin with. If shows are gonna be that big of an issue in NYC/NJ they'll just book bigger venues so we can all get in (I would think anyway).
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 am

To this day I've yet to hear a TGA song on the radio. Or hear of anyone knowing them and being a fan outside of people I've introduced them to...

I think they're greatly unknown in the music world and it is more of a word of mouth kind of secret than anything else...

Some may know the name, but few know the music.

I've been lucky to get to see them play tiny venues, and huge venues as well and can confidently say that I would be so proud and happy for them if they blew up.

I would not have the slightest jealousy or issue with the new fans who claim to be hardcore fans, or anything. I just want to see them explode and be recognized worldwide.

It's a truly underdog story if they make and I sure hope they can.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 am

I'd go by all my friends and shout "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO" in their faces.
Back to top Go down
kirstyt
Wooderson
Wooderson
kirstyt

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 6:09 am

loazis wrote:
I'd go by all my friends and shout "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO" in their faces.

Preeeetty much this.

I'd just be ridiculously happy for them. They've worked so, so hard and they deserve the recognition.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 am

AmSlang59 wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

I stand by you 100% but rock 'n roll is already back on the radio. The Black Keys are #1 on the Alternative radio charts. If you are talking about "rock 'n roll controlling the charts", I apologize, but it never did. The 60s, 70s, 80s; It never controlled the charts. The Beatles were and are a pop band. From talking to men that were in their 20s during the 60s, they felt the same way about The Beatles that most men on this board feel about Justin Bieber. Pop music has always controlled the charts and always will. The difference is that rock 'n roll bands have longevity and have much more dedicated fan bases.

That is true. But rock has also crossed over into pop much more than it does now. Albeit the songs that crossed over weren't always the best ones by an artist but they got there. Also regardless of how guys feel about the blow up of Bieber in relation to the Beatles, I don't see Bieber putting out songs like "Let it Be".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I've loved the boys since 2008, and will continue to love them. Becoming mainstream won't change the fanbase too much. While I'm new to DSS, the board seems to have cut out its own little niche in the fanbase. We'll always remain a smaller, more tight-knit family here. Let the band blow up. They deserve it. I've even tried to turn everyone I know onto them, only succeeding with about 7 people.

Oh, and as long as they keep putting out albums where nearly every song is the best song I've ever heard, I'll stick with them through whatever.
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:41 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
simo wrote:

This too.

Also over time I've been less worried about losing 'secret' bands because there's always another discovery around the corner. Plus nothing changes THAT much. I saw Green Day play an arena in Binghamton in '94, but then Webster Hall in '09. So they can always play random shows like that.

Obviously my concerns are concert-centric Embarassed

i don't really like what green day's music has become but i do respect that they seem to be one of the few bands that regularly play random smaller shows. maybe it's just because they are one of the few bands of their size that i still somewhat follow, but that webster hall show was definitely awesome.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:32 pm

I will make sure I leave a million annoying comments on iTunes how I loved them before they were famous and everything since Sink or Swim sucks.

I really won't, but those people really annoy the hell out of me. I wish them much success. I keep going back on forth if I think they will break out or not. You never really know. All it takes is one huge single. Can they do it? Is '45' that song for them? or are they going to have to try to make it huge on their second single? We shall see.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Abandoning them, coming back after two years. Just joking, just, loving them even more.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:35 pm

the only thing that might suck a personal level would be seeing them in arenas. That being said, I've been to plenty of amazing arena gigs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If TGA "blows up", how will you react?   If TGA "blows up", how will you react? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If TGA "blows up", how will you react?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next