DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?

Go down 
+6
JJW319
bringiton
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Steve70s
J_Bizness
Jack
10 posters
AuthorMessage

What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Empty
PostSubject: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I was thinking about it, and one of the most common raves I've ever seen regarding pretty much everything TGA's ever recorded (and most of Brian's solo work, too) is that there's not a single bad song. Now, while this is admittedly and unfortunately a generalization (I can't really name any, but there are definitely one or two bad Gaslight songs- only, they're covers), the same thing pretty much rings true:

Almost every Gaslight Anthem song is a master piece.

Now how is this? Why is this?

The sheer probability of 48 of their around 50 songs (including covers, but not including the unreleased songs from Handwritten since we obviously haven't heard them) being nearly perfect is just mind-boggling.

Bands don't do this. Hitting on all sixes at such a perfect consistency is something that very few bands in the history of music have ever been able to do, something thought only possible by mega-giants like the literal paragon of catalog perfection, The Beatles (a band who had its fair share of crappy songs, too!) and Queen and all those bands of yesteryear that we think of and say, "Holy crap, every one of their songs rules!"

Just how the hell do the boys do it?

My guess is human sacrifice. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Haha well you got the obvious one, but I'd say two things:

1) Having a brilliant songwriter in Brian Fallon
2) Knowing their strengths and not straying too far from those strengths. Meaning they don't put eleven minute electro-pop dirges on albums. At least...not yet. Obviously that's an extreme example, but they really don't have songs that sound out-of-place in their catalog. It all fits, because the songs have a sort of cohesion and unity to them. Some of this has to do with chord progressions and things, but it's definitely a part of it.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:11 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
...they don't put eleven minute electro-pop dirges on albums. At least...not yet...

No.

Not yet.

Not yet.
Back to top Go down
J_Bizness
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:23 pm

They have a workingman sound/lyrics that makes them easily relatable and likeable.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 2:58 pm

It's because Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and Tom Petty secretly write all of the songs!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 3:35 pm

For me, it's mostly about the lyrics to the songs. That's what got me hooked on TGA in the first place. I think there is at least one line, if not many lines, in every single song Brian has written that applies to me and my life in some way. I can't say that about any other artist/band out there. It'll be interesting to see if that statement still holds true after hearing the rest of the songs from Handwritten. I have a feeling it will! Smile
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah, what Shannon said.

They just get me.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:16 am

Another input could come from their influences. When a band begins making music, what they make is essentially a culmination of all of their influences and bands they listen placed in their creative mind. Listening to music is the most important step in creating it. Something like that. But I mean give credit where credit is do - the four guys simply have the talent, the passion, the heart, the dedication, the love.
Back to top Go down
Robinson1930
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 9:26 am

Heart & Soul.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:32 am

Brian's voice
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 3:56 pm

They're real.
Back to top Go down
minorchord
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
minorchord

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 pm

The other day, standing on the beach, 45 comes on...chills, wicked chills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?   What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is it that Makes Everything Gaslight Amazing?
Page 1 of 1