DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"45" (lyrics)

Go down 
+42
Ghost
Cinderblock
Jack
IAmDisappeared
saltandburn1967
TheContender
AGoodTime
Prisoner
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Steve70s
StitchesOnTheRadio
loazis
rumham
nico0493
HorribleCrowe
IFeelBlue
MKULTRA
DeathoftheCool
moosicmaniac
TGAforLIFE
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Pridevsprose
Jay
Christophe
jzancan
COCO
JJW319
Camus
norwegianstar
rsj
theBasemen
enola
Tobbo
plugga
Bea
El Jefe
luckysparks
nickyno
Jeff
steph
njguy99
bringiton
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

"45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 pm

As much as I love gaslight, does anybody else find this song a bit boring, lyrically at least? I feel like brian has already written better versions of this song.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Jay wrote:
As much as I love gaslight, does anybody else find this song a bit boring, lyrically at least? I feel like brian has already written better versions of this song.

No not at all. I think it is great as ever lyrically.
Back to top Go down
Pridevsprose
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pridevsprose

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

SWEET JESUS I LOVE THIS
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Christophe wrote:
Jay wrote:

No not at all. I think it is great as ever lyrically.

I agree with Christophe. I'm not the least bit bored with this song and I think the lyrics are fantastic. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Well, hmm.... I have really been digging the lyrics to Senior and the Queen lately. But, I do love the lyrics of this song. Mostly because of the line: Turn the record over....I'll see you on the flip side.

It's just so poetic I think it belongs in the poetry and lyrics thread. Smile

But, I also could like that line, ya know, being a record junkie and all... scratch
Back to top Go down
Pridevsprose
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pridevsprose

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 pm

The first bit
Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
and the song just keeps on repeating,
drop the needle again.
and I dance with your ghost,
oh, but that ain't the way…
I can't move on and I can't stay the same.

and all my friends say…

"Hey hey, turn the record over.
Hey hey, and I'll see you on the flip side.

Almost seems to me as somone getting a new record, and the anticipation they feel, They feel like they are dancing with the artist themself

Granted could just be my own anticipation leaking out
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Pridevsprose wrote:
The first bit
Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
drop the needle again.

and all my friends say…

Almost seems to me as somone getting a new record, and the anticipation they feel, They feel like they are dancing with the artist themself

Hmm... Could be that "getting a new record" anticipation. Good observation!
Back to top Go down
Pridevsprose
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pridevsprose

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 pm

TGAforLIFE wrote:
Pridevsprose wrote:
The first bit
Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
drop the needle again.

and all my friends say…

Probably that

I am DANCING in my room right now, Maybe its just how upbeat the song is but...
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Pridevsprose wrote:
TGAforLIFE wrote:
Pridevsprose wrote:
The first bit
Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
drop the needle again.

and all my friends say…

Probably that

I am DANCING in my room right now, Maybe its just how upbeat the song is but...

Haha I can't blame ya! It's great in terms of being all upbeat. Very Happy

I just realized too... "drop the needle again" could be referring to the record needle, ya know? Such good lyrics!
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm

and once again, it feels like Brian Fallon is speaking to me.

actually, this is the song I've been struggling to write for the past 8 months... i guess I needed Brian to do it for me.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 pm

TGAforLIFE wrote:
Pridevsprose wrote:
The first bit
Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
drop the needle again.

and all my friends say…

to me it just feels like this song is a description of where they are as a band right now. "I can't move on and I can't stay the same": you can't stay the same as a band/artist, you have to change and reinvent yourself in order to keep going, as we've all heard before "you can't make the same record twice". but with change comes the fear of "what if this new thing isn't good? what if people don't like it? what if we lose what we've been working for all these years?"...

"I dance with your ghost, oh, but that ain't the way…" - the ghost of Springsteen and all the other bands that have shaped their sound. they've embraced them for so long, now it's time to move away from that and do their own thing.

"Hey hey, turn the record over. Hey hey, and I'll see you on the flip side." - instead of changing the record and moving on to a completely different thing, they simply flip to the other side. meaning it's still the same band but just a different chapter - this song obviously sounds like Gaslight, but improved.

"Let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet." - they've moved on as a band, they're not on a independent label anymore and are aiming big. therefore they're leaving their spot to some other band to come along and do what they did, lay at Asbury's feet, and become the next best independent band in punk rock.

however, the entire song can also be about a relationship. and that's why i love it so much: each person can interpret it as they want and take from it different things, anyone can put their own spin on it, and i'm sure its meaning will change and move and grow as the years go by.
and that's enough rambling for tonight.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Wow Bea that is deep. It all makes sense though and those interpretations could definitely be possible. As you rightly say it's great that each person can take something different from their lyrics. They are so relatable. It definitely strikes a very strong chord with me.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Alright so stylistically I see a huge shift for Brian, instead of the conversational, referential style he's done in the past, he's moved into a "saying more with less" thing where the words are equally as deep but it doesn't take as much to get the message across. So I think American Slang will turn out to be a sort of transitional record for them.
It's like you can FEEL the lyrics more than you can absorb them at face value, like how Kurt Cobain or Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel would write. Phrases that sound awesome even out of the context of the song. So it's pretty interesting, I can't wait to see how the rest of the album shapes up to be lyrically.
Do you guys feel me? Plus, the song ROCKS!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Alright so stylistically I see a huge shift for Brian, instead of the conversational, referential style he's done in the past, he's moved into a "saying more with less" thing where the words are equally as deep but it doesn't take as much to get the message across.
It's like you can FEEL the lyrics more than you can absorb them at face value, like how Kurt Cobain or Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel would write. Phrases that sound awesome even out of the context of the song. So it's pretty interesting, I can't wait to see how the rest of the album shapes up to be lyrically.
Do you guys feel me? Plus, the song ROCKS!

I feel you High Five

I think it holds true with Brian saying that it is a more literal album than previous ones. It is still equally as powerful and poetic though. Smile
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:46 pm

It really is a different style of writing the more I think about it. I think the lyrics to 45 are more accessible and understanding, while still keeping the mysteriousness and vision that we have grown to love
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah it took me a couple listens to realize that this wasn't just simplification. Plus, the band dynamic has totally changed. I'm not positive who's playing what but with Ian there's a whole extra layer of music to listen to. Plus it sounds like Brian and Alex L are actually playing parts now instead of doubling the chords
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 pm

rsj wrote:
What do people think of the line:

I hear the alarm
I used to hear when she would sleep in my arms.

The alarm someone feels when they realise a relationship just isn't working any more? Something else?

he hears the ticking of the clock sitting lonely at home, and the clock just reminds him of waking up with her in the morning.

at least that's what i took out of it.
Back to top Go down
IFeelBlue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IFeelBlue

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:17 am

Can somebody tell me, please, what it means the phrase "see you on the flip side"?
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:18 am

IFeelBlue wrote:
Can somebody tell me, please, what it means the phrase "see you on the flip side"?

A vinyl always has two sides. Changing side is the 'flipside'.
Back to top Go down
IFeelBlue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IFeelBlue

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:24 am

Many thanks, man. It is not that easy understand english terms, sometimes. Razz
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:27 am

Jay wrote:

I agree. It's a little generic for me. Not that it's bad, but when he said the songs will be very personal I was expecting something a little more.... personal?
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:28 am

Clearly, they are aiming for a bigger audience.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:50 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:

I don't know that you can say that. I mean, yes Brian's made clear he'd like a bigger audience, but one song does not intentions make.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:54 am

njguy99 wrote:
HorribleCrowe wrote:

I don't know that you can say that. I mean, yes Brian's made clear he'd like a bigger audience, but one song does not intentions make.

Without making any comparisons. I like the song very fucking much, but it sounds a bit more mainstream?
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

I do believe its more mainstream but the lyrics are very personal. The song works on many levels, you have the big, catchy, radio anthem but you also have the concise but well-crafted story of realising that you cannot stay the same forever. That is particularly relevant to gaslight anthem's career because most of its loyal fanbase still wants to hear songs about big cars and nights out in the beach. Don't get me wrong Im absolutely in love with those songs but there comes a time in every band's career when they have to turn the record over. I think the line "I cannot change but I cant stay the same" refers to that question: how do I evolve as a songwriter without dissapointing my fans?

I think he manged to do it IMO Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"45" (lyrics)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next