DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Musicians in Gaslight

Go down 
+7
IrishNameAndAnInjury
borrowedcar
Harbortown
JimmyB
rumham
Prisoner
marleyschains
11 posters
AuthorMessage
marleyschains
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marleyschains

Best Musicians in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey guys I'm a huge Gaslight fan, I think what makes me like them is the "x factor" quality about the band and the passion they put into their songs. Fallon can make a simple four chord song sound incredible. But would you consider these guys great musicians? How would you rank each band member in terms of musical talent?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Brian - Not a brilliant guitarist, but a brilliant songwriter. Solo in Mary Ann is cool though
Alex R - Great guitarist with cool riffs and guitar solo's
Alex L - A basic bassplayer providing a steady backbone
Benny - Powerful drummer

They are not virtuoso's, but they form a great band and that's what counts.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm

I came across this quote before of a person describing where Gaslight falls in the Music realm and I thought it was pretty accurate.

"They're not exactly technically outstanding or pushing any genres forward, but they know what they do and they do it well. I see no need for them to be anything more than that." Although lyrically I do think Brian is pretty special.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Oh man how could I forget about that voice. When he's on, it's on!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Prisoner wrote:
Brian - Not a brilliant guitarist, but a brilliant songwriter. Solo in Mary Ann is cool though
Benny - Powerful drummer

This is exactly what I would have said. It is not the solo efforts, but the combined effort that matters.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Brian Fallon - He's a mediocre guitar player, and although his voice is absolutely incredible it could use some technique. His true strength lies in songwriting, where he excels far beyond most.

Alex Rosamilia - Pretty good guitar player. He's got good technique and can play some moderately fast guitar doodles, but he lacks a musical ear and often ends on the wrong note.

Alex Levine - Not much to say. He plays rock'n'roll bass and he does it well enough.

Benny Horowitz - He plays with a great amount of power, which is something I appreciate and miss from a lot of other drummers.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 pm

alex r and benny imo make the band but brian is the straw that stirs the drink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm not a musician so I can't really weigh in on that aspect with any authority, but there would be no Gaslight without Brian. He is an incredible singer and his songwriting is some of the best around. He's a poet, and an amazing one at that.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I say alex r is what makes the band musically, without those guitar lines gaslight would be a little different. plus he played some whoopass organ with the horrible crowes.
brian is my favorite singer; he's a good guitarist and i feel like he pays more attention to it when he's playing acoustically as opposed to with the full band.
alex l is probably the least recognized member of the band musically, i think he does a great job laying down the solid, simple basslines. and sometimes he can whip out some really cool parts like the part in boxer going into the second verse. there are definitely some glimpses of awesomeness.
benny is cool because like he said in that interview for american slang, he writes the drum part around brian's vocal pattern, which i think is really cool. i wish more drummers put that much effort into arranging their parts. and he's aggressive too which is awesome.
i love gaslight
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Never knew Alex R played Organ...man talk about multitalened.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 am

well i guess its technically a keyboard but still
Back to top Go down
AmSlang59
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Prisoner wrote:
Benny - Powerful drummer

Agreed. There are too many bands that have an amazing singer with a shit band or a shit band with one amazing guitarist. TGA puts a bunch of guys that are very good at their craft who all are able to compliment each other. I don't know how to explain it but their sound feels full and well-balanced. It also never comes off that one person is trying to upstage another member. I feel that everybody in the band gets their time to shine in each song.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:43 pm

I like the lack of crap solos - instead we get nice, angular solos all the way through most tunes!
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 am

I don't think that there is one musician that really stands out from the pack in Gaslight. But if I had to pick their X-Factor I guess it would be Brian's vocals. Its such a unique voice, honestly its a voice that you don't hear too often, its got an originality and a uniqueness that you don't see very often. Its also got a very old school sound. On top of that the way he sings has a lot of passion in it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Musicians in Gaslight   Best Musicians in Gaslight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Musicians in Gaslight
Page 1 of 1