DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mrw1zard
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22 Empty
PostSubject: Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22   Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:53 am

Sorry for the late post, been trying to get through the past week before posting this.
Here's a quick review:
Opening bands: American Steel and O Pioneers!!!

My wife and I got to the Bottletree around 7:30 - just in time to catch American Steel. We grabbed a couple of beers and settled in for the night. Both American Steel and O Pioneers were good - but to be honest, I was there to catch Gaslight - so we went outside.

We wandered out to the side porch and made some small talk with the merch guys. Soon the guys in the band were wandering around with us (Alex R was playing foosball with the band's roadie). I saw Brian and walked over. We talked for about fifteen minutes about the show the previous night (Nashville). He said that it hadn't gone over too well, Nashville was in the middle of a gas shortage (aren't we all) and TGA had been booked to play at the Exit In. A much bigger venue than they felt they could reasonably sell. He said that put on a good show, but it has always been hard for them to do well in Nashville (so if you live close to Nashville - get out and support next time if you can) Afterwards we talked about how much we both liked Springsteen. I told him that I really enjoyed all the Springsteen references throughout the album. He smiled when I mentioned stuff like "at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet..." and of course "No surrender my Bobby Jean". Speaking about references, I had to mention the Bob Seger classic line "It's funny how the night moves humming a song from 1962" - Brian told me that apparently I knew my stuff.

I asked if they had already decided on the setlist for that night. He said that they had and would be playing a lot off the new album. I told him I figured as much and asked about a couple of songs in particular: Miles Davis and the Cool, and Film Noir. Miles' is my favorite, Film Noir is my wife's I told him. He said we were in luck, that they would play both. He signed my CD and I let him get back to his thing while my wife and I went back inside to catch the show.

Great show. About 30 or so people crowded right up to the front of the stage and sang every song. Highlights included The Patient Ferris Wheel, We Came To Dance, The '59 Sound and 1930.
The setlist (in no particular order - save for the first couple and the last couple)

Great Expectations
The Patient Ferris Wheel
We Came To Dance
I'da Called You Woody, Joe
The '59 Sound
Old White Lincoln
Boomboxes and Dictionaries
Miles Davis and the Cool
Film Noir
Angry Johnny and the Radio
Meet Me by the River's Edge
Drive
Cassanova, Baby
Say I Won't (Recognize)
The Backseat
I Coulda Been a Contender

Afterwards I hung around the stage to get my CD signed by the rest of the band (as Brian had told me to do when I met him earlier). Benny was breaking down his kit and came right over and signed it for me. Alex R came out next and signed as well. I had been waiting about ten minutes when Benny came back and asked who I was waiting for. I told him Alex L. He said he wasn't feeling very well, but would go and get my CD signed if I wanted. I said great and sure enough Benny came back about five minutes later with the CD signed. By then my wife had come back and we talked to Benny for about twenty minutes or so. We talked about the tour and where they had been, where they were going. Found out that Benny used to work for the newspaper (regular stiff like the rest of us) before doing this. Alex L is apparently a great chef too. All in all, a great night. Wonderful people to talk to and meet. Everyone of them is honestly gracious, humble and thankful for the support.

If you get a chance to see them anywhere on this tour - you have to go. Well worth it.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22   Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 4:09 pm

nice dude. i hope they play film noir in cleveland in two days
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22   Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Good write up, I enjoyed that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22   Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Birmingham, AL - Bottletree 09.22
Page 1 of 1