DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Virgin.com review of Elsie

Go down 
+4
CluckyB
DeathoftheCool
Harbortown
Bea
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

Virgin.com review of Elsie Empty
PostSubject: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 pm

The Horrible Crowes - Elsie
Aug 29, 2011

Sometimes a side project can be a waste of time, a spot of self-indulgence or an ill-judged experiment. Fortunately, the latest effort from The Gaslight Anthem lead singer Brian Fallon is none of the above. Whilst The Horrible Crowes are unlikely to eclipse their predecessors, there is a sufficient strength of variety on this record to suggest the shape of things to come for fans of the New Jersey quartet.

With the slinky vibes of 'I Witnessed A Crime' and the joyous choruses of 'Behold The Hurricane' and 'Go Tell Everybody', you could be forgiven for thinking that this was the fourth Gaslight Anthem album. Indeed, two members of Fallon's other band crop up providing guitar tracks and drums on a few tracks. However, the driving force behind this record was the band's erstwhile guitar tech Ian Perkins, who wrote much of the music, which helps Fallon explore his more theatrical ideas. Take the bolshy stomp of 'Mary Ann' for example; bolstered by brass and boasting some of the most bombastic vocals that Fallon has recorded to date.

Another key difference to note is the number of religious references thrown in to the mix, from the opening track 'Last Rites' all the way through to the (admittedly cringe-worthy) closer 'I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together', which draws the record to a rather drab conclusion. Anyone worrying that Fallon has been listening to too much Creed will be glad to hear that this aspect of the album isn't allowed to dominate, but is handled with the kind of subtlety you might expect from Manchester Orchestra.

Cited influences behind this record include PJ Harvey and the title is taken from a traditional Scottish poem, so it would be logical to expect a more British feel to this record, especially given that Perkins is an Englishman and the title is taken from the Mighty Boosh character who lives inside the Hitcher's hat. However, the distinctive twang to Fallon's vocals ensures that there is still a strongly American flavour to the album.

While the Gaslight Anthem made a name for themselves as nostalgia punks, worthy of inheriting Bruce Springsteen's crown, The Horrible Crowes take things one step further, with the punk guitars stepping aside, and the result is a truly atmospheric collection of tracks, including the brooding bass-driven 'Sugar' and the chilled-out waltz of 'Cherry Blossoms'. Fallon has already admitted that his song writing partnership with Perkins may continue into the fourth Gaslight Anthem album and if 'Elsie' is anything to go by, then the band will be all the stronger as a result with several more strings to their bow.

7/10

Chris Jefferies

http://www.virgin.com/music/reviews/the-horrible-crowes--elsie
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Quote :
and the joyous choruses of 'Behold The Hurricane'
Huh?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 am

it's hard to hear i believe jesus brought us together described as drab. i'm probably just bitter because it's not a 10/10 like on absolutepunk or bbc, but i think the reviewer coulda done a better job with his adjectives and descriptions. whatever
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 1:25 am

Yeah. It just seems like he didn't like the fact that Brian's religious views seeped through in what was supposed to be a very personal album. Which while, I can understand someone not liking wanting the album to be different would be silly.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 6:50 am

Whilst 7 out of 10 is a decent score i don't like this review. The writer doesn't seem that well educated in music on the whole and it doesn't really say anything interesting. If the chorus of Behold the Hurricane suggests joy for this chap i wouldn't like to see him on a bad day. He mentions religious references but gives no examples apart from song titles , is 'i believe Jesus brought us together" cringeworthy because it is religious or is it a bad song in his opinion? Blah.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 7:47 am

This review sounds quite ignorant
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 pm

I have to agree though, the vocals on Mary Ann sound amazing.
Back to top Go down
Pel.71
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pel.71

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

not long to wait now , sounds amazing from what i have heard , could be fallon's 'Nebraska' ....
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:

MAAAAAAAAARRRY AAYUNNNNN
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 4:42 pm

This reviewer sounds rather uneducated might I add...
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 7:06 pm

If you ask me its a little harsh to call the reviewer "ignorant" or "uneducated" just because it wasn't a completely glowing review. As I pointed out, the review certainly has flaws but at least comment on the problems with the review instead of attacking the reviewer.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:43 am

CluckyB wrote:
If you ask me its a little harsh to call the reviewer "ignorant" or "uneducated" just because it wasn't a completely glowing review. As I pointed out, the review certainly has flaws but at least comment on the problems with the review instead of attacking the reviewer.
Word.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 am

riversedge wrote:
StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:

MAAAAAAAAARRRY AAYUNNNNN

Makes me feel warm on the inside (:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virgin.com review of Elsie   Virgin.com review of Elsie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Virgin.com review of Elsie
Page 1 of 1