DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Elsie' preview reviews

Go down 
+12
MKULTRA
Jerseyrain
The Boxer
Ghost
CluckyB
thebiglebowski
loazis
plugga
drifter69
IFeelBlue
Harbortown
steady now steady now
16 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

'Elsie' preview reviews Empty
PostSubject: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 3:51 pm

the first review of Elsie is in

http://headabovewater.tumblr.com/post/7087295541/horrible-crowes-elsie-preview

Horrible Crowes - Elsie Preview

by Thomas Nassiff

I’ve been listening to nothing but this album for about three days now. It’s fantastic. Brian Fallon’s vocals will make journalists call this band a “mellower Gaslight Anthem,” but that is lazy and it’s not even accurate. The musicianship is really not that similar, and only Fallon’s croon will bring the comparisons out. There are some standouts for sure: “Sugar” is a solid track early in the record and it’s followed by the most Gaslight-esque song on Elsie in “Behold The Hurricane.”

Every damn song is worth your while but the end of the record, with “Black Betty & The Moon” sitting there at track 10 (12 songs total), is where Elsie shines most in my opinion. “Black Betty” might just be the best song Fallon has ever written, and it’s the backbone of the whole record for me. There’s a point where Fallon is whispering that gives me shivers every time.

This is one of the best songwriters around right now doing whatever he wants. To me, this record defines Fallon as just as versatile a songwriter as Springsteen was at a similar point in his career. Fallon wrote the punk-er stuff with Sink Or Swim, he went all Born To Run on us with ‘59 Sound, and he found Gaslight’s true niche sound with American Slang. Now he pulls out this side project, with a record that most musicians will spend their whole lives wishing they could make. Fallon is my favorite songwriter around right now, and I think he is just as talented as anyone else around. I’ll follow his projects as long as he’s writing music.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, Thomas.

Hand us a copy of that record, please!
Back to top Go down
IFeelBlue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IFeelBlue

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

I want that record...damn...6th September
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

so proud of that review,great to hear people admiring brians songwriting apart from us,big things in the future for brian and gaslight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Hi, Thomas.

ù

IKR.
Just put me out of my misery.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm

I'll follow his projects even when he starts to make paintings from donkey feces.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Hi, Thomas.

It probably will leak reasonably soon.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Hi, Thomas.

I hope not. Leaks that early are nothing but trouble. Have some freaking patients and wait until September like Brian wants.

Also while its nice to see people like Thomas Nassiff like it, that was sorta to be expected. I'm far more interested to see what the reviews from non-gaslight fanboy places turn out like.

Also I totally wasn't aware Thomas from AP was the same Thomas that works for P+P. Learn something every day I guess
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 5:44 am

Great review, but I long for the day I can read a review about Brian Fallon without a Springsteen comparison.
Back to top Go down
The Boxer
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:43 pm

CluckyB wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Hi, Thomas.

I hope not. Leaks that early are nothing but trouble. Have some freaking patients and wait until September like Brian wants.

Also while its nice to see people like Thomas Nassiff like it, that was sorta to be expected. I'm far more interested to see what the reviews from non-gaslight fanboy places turn out like.

Also I totally wasn't aware Thomas from AP was the same Thomas that works for P+P. Learn something every day I guess

I don't agree with leaks, but if Brian wants people to wait till September, why is it allowed to be written about and given to reviewers 2 months in advance? Surely that is asking for trouble
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 pm

CluckyB wrote:

leaks this early are really bad for sales, because by the time the album actually comes out, people who donwloaded it have heard it plenty and moved on; a week or so early, people will still go buy the real thing if they liked the leak
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:54 pm

If you guys respect Brian Fallon so much then why listen to it before he wants you to hear it. Im dying to hear it but will wait until it is released. Shame on those who leaked it and shame on those for pouncing on it straight away. If you are a true fan respect the guys and wait. don't listen. It will be released for us all soon enough.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
If you guys respect Brian Fallon so much then why listen to it before he wants you to hear it. Im dying to hear it but will wait until it is released. Shame on those who leaked it and shame on those for pouncing on it straight away. If you are a true fan respect the guys and wait. don't listen. It will be released for us all soon enough.
What?

Screw that. I listened to it but I can't see why that would make me any less of a true fan of his works. I mean no disrespect but come on, I'm not going to feel ashamed because I listened to something that I'm dying to hear.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm

jerseyrain wrote:

the above review was sanctioned by SideOneDummy, who posted the link on their Facebook page - this has nothing to do with any leak
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 3:49 pm

from @rocksound twitter

"The day after a festival is the perfect time to listen to the wonderful @horriblecrowes album."

oh quit bragging!
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Harbortown wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:
What?

Screw that. I listened to it but I can't see why that would make me any less of a true fan of his works. I mean no disrespect but come on, I'm not going to feel ashamed because I listened to something that I'm dying to hear.

i'll show him all due respect when i spend my money on his album and his shows. until then, i want to hear the record. shame on me i guess.
Back to top Go down
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
joshyboytyler

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Man all these people getting to hear it is killing me!

As for the whole listening early to links business - I will probably just wait for the whole album to officially be released but I dont think anyone can judge/think less of people who download it early, I think thats just how music is nowadays which I think is a bit of a shame but a sign of the times
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah you really can't judge people for listening to leaks. I saw TGA right before American Slang came out and after the show kids were telling Brian that they had already downloaded the record but he didn't seem to mind that much. Maybe he feels differently now though. I mean, I'll download Elsie if it leaks but I'm certainly going to buy it. I'll preorder it the day that goes up.
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Step 1. Create Music Review Blog
Step 2. ??
Step 3. Listen to Elsie early
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 pm

J.B.R. wrote:
Step 1. Join absolutepunk.net
Step 2. become active member, write user reviews
Step 3. become staff at ap.net/now get early music
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Elsie' preview reviews   'Elsie' preview reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Elsie' preview reviews
Page 1 of 1