DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chords, Ideas?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironbug
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 7:53 am

Hi guys, I've recently just started learning the Acoustic, in fact to actually play some Gaslight.. Anyway,
I know A, D, G , and E and Em.

It'd really help my motivation to play a bit of Gaslight, are there actually any songs I could play or learn with those Chords?
Thanks in advance..
X
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:07 am

I don't think they have any songs in A.

My suggestion to you is that you learn Am, F and C in addition to the ones you already know.
With Am, F, C and G you can play like 90% of their songs.

However, it's worth noting that they tune their guitars down a whole step, meaning that instead of
E
B
G
D
A
E

It's

D
A
F
C
G
D

You should tune your guitar that way and get yourself a capo if you want to play Gaslight Anthem songs.
But if you feel like that's too much for you, just learn those chords I told you and start with Old White Lincoln, it's the same chord progression all over: Am, F, C, G
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

If you only know 5 chords the last post might confuse you. There is a progression you should memorize:

E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# then it loops back again to E F F# ...

Any note you can play on a guitar is assigned one of these letters. If you move up a fret, you move up a position on the scale. The standard guitar tuning and the standard gaslight tuning are given above. Gaslight tunes down a full step (with each move to the left on the scale above being a half step). So E tuned down a full step becomes D, A becomes G, etc... You should be using an automatic tuner at this point so tuning down shouldn't be a problem. It just takes an extra 2 minutes.

Note you can play a D chord, for example, in many positions on the guitar. Don't get confused if you see it in different ways. It has a slightly different tone when played in different places, but it is the same chord.

And Harbortown's comment about 90% of gaslight songs including the progression Am, F, C, and G is correct.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Wouldn't let me type anymore ^^^

It is correct, but if you are gonna put in the effort to learn to play guitar, learn every major and minor chord. It should take a couple of hours at most. It takes some natural talent and a lot of hard work to be able to do what Alex does on some of the Gaslight songs, but anyone in the world can learn to strum chords without a ton of effort. Play the songs you want to learn the most, not the ones that fit the chords you know.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Yeah eventually learn every chord, but learning chords in the key of C will get you off to a great start playing TGA songs.

C Dm Em F G Am (Bdim, don't really need that one for now)
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Learn these. You'll be set

Chords, Ideas? Major_chords

Chords, Ideas? Minor_chords
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chords, Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chords, Ideas?   Chords, Ideas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chords, Ideas?
Page 1 of 1