DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi there!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi, I'm Ben. I live in Kentucky, for now, unfortunately. I'm fifteen in about.. five days, but I promise, I'll try my best to avoid the stereotypical teenage angst filled kid image. I've listened to Gaslight for about a year, and it's changed my views on life. From pure apathy to the greatness of just 'staying hungry, and staying free,' to quote the master.

I saw them once, in Columbus, at the LC Pavilion last summer. Epic energy. So, I just thought I'd introduce myself since they've already changed my life.

If you have questions or anything, feel free.

Later!
Back to top Go down

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey, Ben! Welcome aboard. How did you first discover Gaslight?
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Welcome! Gaslight seems to have such an "older" crowd and I am always extremely excited to find fans who are still in their teens (or younger!) because 90% of my musical loves were HORRID 10 years ago.

Columbus and Cincinnati used to be my homes away from home, because I grew up in the Dayton OH area and those two cities were concerts happened. Where in KY are you? Close enough to Cincy to frequent Kings Island? I miss that place and its blue soft serve ice cream Sad
Back to top Go down
ForgottenGhosts
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ForgottenGhosts

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey Ben! I'm a younger Gaslight fan too. I'm only 14. Welcome!

@fullcolapse, agreed. Gaslight has an older fan base, which has its pros and cons. The good thing about it, is that Gaslight isn't bombarded with Justin Beiber fans or fangirls/fanboys in general. The unfortunate side of it, is that being the minority amongst pop/hip hop/ rap fans, it's hard to find people to go to shows with.
Back to top Go down
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:42 pm

@ Steps - Well, my dad was watching a Bruce concert. It was the one where he talked about Gaslight, saying it's what he's been listening to lately. Such a smart decision to look them up!

@ Full - Yeah mine were about two years ago, and before. I grew up a lot, from personal shit, which Nirvana didn't really help with. With Gaslight, I felt it. They gave me hope for a brighter future, from a life that hasn't been so great these last few years.

I'm in Ashland, it's at the very northern part of Kentucky, (Well, not sure, but it borders Ohio anyway) It's probably two hours-ish. So, if the logistics were right, I could, but money's an issue.

@Forgotten - Yeah, but it's even harder to find people to hang with around here, in my area, because it's either A: Guys who wanna talk about burning black guys, or other racial groups, B: Jocks obsessed with football etc. C: Women who wouldn't look twice at me. Definitely with you on the Beiber part, though.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah, in all honesty, Gaslight is the best thing I've had going for me in the past few years. I have a ridiculously intense dedication to them because they've been the sole reason I've made it past some points. The best (but also kind of unfortunate, in a way) thing is that I've talked to so many other people with a similar story. The band just refuses to let us down.
Back to top Go down
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Well, I don't mean this for a sob story or anything, I don't like those kind of people. But, it got me through having my house repo'd, moving many times, being homeschooled and alone last year, and a few 'love' issues.

I guess for me it's a life saver. I would've definitely gone crazy without them. And yeah, not even Brian's earlier albums disappoint...or maybe I'm just a hardcore fanboy. Such an amazing group.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Brian's really early stuff ranges from adorable and endearing to just flat out awesome. I love it all. Of course This Charming Man is incredible because it's essentially Gaslight before they were Gaslight, but I LOVE the Cincinnati Rail Tie stuff. In any case, his words are like strict demands saying "don't you dare give up." He is already a legend in my book.

I may have not been in all those situations before but I know how it feels to be at the point of... well, the point where a band is literally all you have. I've been in much worse places before but even now most days feel like that to me. I've stopped being ashamed of it and instead I just feel really, really lucky to have found them. The only thing I don't like is the fact that I really could have used them being around years before now. Sob stories don't bother me, because hey, we all have at least a few. Drop me a line if you ever want to chat because I know Gaslight is pretty great to have, but people are good too. Well, sometimes, some of them. ha.
Back to top Go down
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 1:45 am

Hell, even The Coffeehouse Sessions is way more amazing then most bands best album (to me.) But, definitely, a legend, if not more.

They're the best constant I've found, and I wouldn't trade their music for anything in the world..(Other then his talent..ahaha.) Thanks a lot man. It means a lot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 am

Oh what I would give for a clear recording of the Coffeehouse Sessions... I'm not sure if the low quality came about in the transfer from cassette tape to computer, or if my suspicions are correct and it's really just an extremely low quality recording. Those songs are so... cute. But genuinely good considering when he wrote them. And I love how some of his oooooold lyrics/references to life events in old songs have come back to appear in Gaslight songs. That's how you know he's honest!
Back to top Go down
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:17 am

I think I saw in the thread for it, that Chris Eissing (mispelled, more then likely) said he'd remix it or something as a project after he gets finished with a other things. I pray that that's true.. Hah. Way better then the songs I write all the time, lol. Honest...Yeah, minus inbetween songs live Razz

I met him outside of the venue, when I saw them. He was probably the nicest, chillest man I've ever met. So cool.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:23 am

I would absolutely DIE if that was remixed. I saw the old thread on here where Chris came and distributed a few of the remaining tapes. I mean... okay, we paid... well into 3 figures for a copy of ink or Swim on black vinyl, which was limited to 100 copies; what I would be willing to do for that tape would likely dwarf that and make us a little, uh, late on our rent payment. Yeah, I'm not even gonna try to back off from this band anymore, it has become a lifestyle choice. *lol*
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:24 am

Welcome to the site!

I guess I'm not a hardcore enough fan, I've never bothered to listen to the Coffeehouse Sessions. I guess I just kind of assumed they wouldn't be any good. Either that, or it would be too good that I would feel like giving up if he could write those songs at that age. Anyways, might check it out soon.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:28 am

simo wrote:
Welcome to the site!

I guess I'm not a hardcore enough fan, I've never bothered to listen to the Coffeehouse Sessions. I guess I just kind of assumed they wouldn't be any good. Either that, or it would be too good that I would feel like giving up if he could write those songs at that age. Anyways, might check it out soon.

The sound quality is what's not good, although the majority of them are definitely listenable. Just not something you'd put on for fun every night. As for writing songs at that age? Yeah, you're spot on with that one. ha. There are definitely many moments where you can tell he's young, but... seeing as I have been 15/16 before, knew other 15/16 year olds at that time, and tried writing things myself at that age... my chin was on the floor while listening; those songs are fantastic for someone that age (and most people of all other ages as well).
Back to top Go down
Paytoplay91
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Paytoplay91

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 am

Gah, sort of glad I don't have the resources to go crazy on their stuff. Razz Key word..Sort of. Hah, And yeah, definitely listen to it! It's superb, minus the quality.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 8:57 am

Hey there, welcome to the site. It's great to see that I'm not the only person at this age who is slightly obsessed with TGA. So true what you said about not finding anyone to go see them with, but luckily I managed to convert some people, despite living in the dreary swiss alps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi there!   Hi there! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi there!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Board :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: