DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TGA supporting ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 am

In December TAG kind of 'supported' My Chemical Romance. In June they will be supporting Blink 182. In November they tweeted "Dear PearlJam... Take us on tour." Yet, TGA are a headline band (Radio City, Hammersmith, etc.).

At what stage is a band too big to support another band? How big does the band you support have to be, not to dent your own 'bigness'? Is this supporting business a move ot reach out? Discuss.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 am

I'm fairly sure Muse supported U2. I think you're only too big to support another band if you're the biggest band in the world.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Elton John toured with Billy Joel (I think more than once) . Kanye was supposed to tour with Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera toured with Justin Timberlake, saw Fall Out Boy open for Blink 182 (plus the whole Pop Disaster tour with Blink/GD)... so I dunno. I guess it comes down to how much money bands want to pull in or their own personal reasons? Sometimes I think they do it just for fun, but I'm sure the people who make money off them wouldn't let them do it unless there was a big profit to be made.
Back to top Go down
LastOfTheJukeBoxRomeos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
LastOfTheJukeBoxRomeos

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

CluckyB wrote:
I'm fairly sure Muse supported U2. I think you're only too big to support another band if you're the biggest band in the world.

Was gonna mention this, MUSE are supporting U2 in their upcoming shows in Brazil. When I went to see Oasis in Slane both the Prodigy and Kasabian supported them. Even Against me! are supporting Dropkick Murphys in their upcoming tour. So I'd say bands are never really 'too big' to play support and mostly its just an effort to reach out to a wider audience or cause they enjoy touring with a specific band.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 4:06 pm

glowstick18 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Was gonna mention this, MUSE are supporting U2 in their upcoming shows in Brazil. When I went to see Oasis in Slane both the Prodigy and Kasabian supported them. Even Against me! are supporting Dropkick Murphys in their upcoming tour. So I'd say bands are never really 'too big' to play support and mostly its just an effort to reach out to a wider audience or cause they enjoy touring with a specific band.

Add to that Less Than Jake just supported the Bosstones at the Throwdown. I'd guess LTJ are more well known by the mainstream and have a bigger pulling power than MMB, but they're friends with the Bosstones and respect them as pioneers of sorts too, so I guess that's why they did it.

I'd say GA playing as support act probably comes down to being offered a slot that fits with their tour schedule (increasing exposure etc) and money. If support slots to big bands here and there earns the guys a few extra dollars and helps them pay the bills I don't see anything wrong with that.

When it comes to big bands, well known by the mainstream, like Muse supporting U2, I'd say it's totally down to earning money.
Back to top Go down

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 4:16 pm

I agree bands are never really 'too big' to play supporting act to a tour. specially if the supporting act is a fan of the headline act.

Pearl Jam in the 90s opened up for Neil Young, and learned quite a lot from him. Thus Eddie referring to him as Uncle Neil.
Maybe the same thing will happen to TGA if they open up for Pearl Jam...Uncle Eddie...has a good ring to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TGA supporting ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA supporting ...   TGA supporting ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TGA supporting ...
Page 1 of 1