DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Memorable live happenings

Go down 
+25
Gaslight23
Prisoner
enola
simo
fullcollapse
MyFirstSin
GraveRobbers
breakwhatbreaksyourheart
ktp
ilockyer
kieran
steady now steady now
TGAFAN25
JJW319
kuruptlon
rem999
Jay
NeverTrustAJunkie
Holland
Jack
Jeff
loazis
gp
IKeeptheDiner
Perry
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Memorable live happenings Empty
PostSubject: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Ok, so I figured it might be fun to collaborate a list over some of the different things gaslight anthem has done, once or tour-wise, and might be interesting to see what people have experienced on the live shows.

Two examples I can relate too:
I'd woulda called you Woody, Joe with the Stand by me Intro.(Hove 2009) (Guess they did this the most of the 2009 tour, this one is from)
State of Love and Trust cover (Øya festivalen 2010) (Not a rare happening, but fun to actually experience it, allthought the press didn't seem to like it)

But that's not all of them, instead of song variatons or covers, what about stories brian tells, we know he likes to tell stories when he's on stage. So, people, share your memorable TGA live happenings.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 3:33 pm

theyve been doing the stand by me intro for longer than 2009. not trying ot be a dick, just saying
Back to top Go down
gp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gp

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Right before Senor and The Queen came out, they played a bar basement here in NJ and kids were climbing on top of each other to get to the sing-along and kicking out the ceiling tiles. They also premiered a few songs off the EP at that show.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, rather personal and probably partly fictional but during 'boys will be boys and girls have those eyes (...)' in Here's Looking At You Kid (one of my favourite lines ever) in Amsterdam, Brian looked at me while I was singing along and he smiled with this big grin. Nothing too special, but for for me it was insanely amazing, having eye contact and sharing that boys will be boys, such a universal truth ;-)

I believe they also sang 'on all the Amsterdam streets, where you and I would meet' at a certain point, which was pretty cool =)
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 pm

I will never understand why this is so memorable to me, but one particular moment stands out. I doubt I'll be able to put into words, either. During their performance at the Trocadero, the first time I saw them, Brian let go of his guitar while singing the opening lines of Cowgirls and extended the back of his hand and shaking it in this half-strange-half-awesome way to punctuate the line "mighta had a couple babies." Again, I totally can't describe it, but trust me when I say it was kind of awesome. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Jlblue wrote:
I will never understand why this is so memorable to me, but one particular moment stands out. I doubt I'll be able to put into words, either. During their performance at the Trocadero, the first time I saw them, Brian let go of his guitar while singing the opening lines of Cowgirls and extended the back of his hand and shaking it in this half-strange-half-awesome way to punctuate the line "mighta had a couple babies." Again, I totally can't describe it, but trust me when I say it was kind of awesome. Laughing

Haha I remember that. Everyone cheered him on, as well. Encouraging his zaniness.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Brian realising that both him and Alex Levine were wearing Blue jeans and white t-shirts dring the song in Manchester.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 pm

They might be the only band I've seen that actually played requests that were shouted at them (at Brooklyn Bowl w/ State of Love & Trust and Northern Lights with She Loves You).

Also, at a solo Brian show he was talking about how he's always nervous before a show and (I think) Benny is totally laid back. For some reason this made me feel less self conscious about being nervous before events from that point on. /tmi
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 am

At the Vic show in Chicago just recently the band had a really cool banter with the crowd about Layla, and then they just busting into it and played a solid minute of layla. So epic and I'm not sure how often they do that lol.
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:40 am

wellmont theatre 12/11/09. second to last song was diner. brian was going to sing along with the gang chorus at the end but the place was so loud and energetic he just stepped back from the mic and let the crowd sing it, and he kinda looked around with an incredulous look on his face like it was a dream or something. pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Oh man I just made a thread sort of similar to this.

Completely unintentional.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 pm

kuruptlon wrote:

you can still delete it, as long as not one has posted anything
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
kuruptlon wrote:

Well that would be my bad that you can't delete it Embarassed

I kinda read these as slightly different threads. This be the "Share your cool story from live shows" and the other just being a collective thread of different versions of songs they've played, which I think is cool. Especially if links to said variations are provided.
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 11:37 am

JJW319 wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
kuruptlon wrote:

Well that would be my bad that you can't delete it Embarassed

I kinda read these as slightly different threads. This be the "Share your cool story from live shows" and the other just being a collective thread of different versions of songs they've played, which I think is cool. Especially if links to said variations are provided.

Exactly I just didn't want it to seem like I was stepping on any toes here.

I was more less looking for people to post links to cool live versions of songs.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

When they played 1930 for me at the 9:30 club in DC

Also, the first time they played Bring It On ever at the Wellmont Theater. It was a magical moment. Everyone was just like holy fuck that is a damn good cover, then people started looking up its lyrics and realized it was an original. Just the perfect song. Absolutely perfect.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Hyde Park, 2009, when that other guy came on ... and when Benny recognised me in the crowd (not by chance, but I managed to get his attention).

Oxford, 2010, when they played 'We Did It When We Were Young' live for the first time ever and then also threw the setlist during the encore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm

The solo show in LA...Brian played 'She Loves You' for the first time...everyone thought it was a cover and he simply called it a 'new york song'
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 6:10 am

Seeing the sheer joy on the guys faces when they played their first proper UK show at the ULU in London back in 2008. Never seen a band so appreciative of their audience.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:05 pm

rem999 wrote:
wellmont theatre 12/11/09. second to last song was diner. brian was going to sing along with the gang chorus at the end but the place was so loud and energetic he just stepped back from the mic and let the crowd sing it, and he kinda looked around with an incredulous look on his face like it was a dream or something. pretty cool.

Yes! I second this. I was psyched for the band. What a nice homecoming.
It's up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4wg0oBvW0
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
rem999 wrote:

Yes! I second this. I was psyched for the band. What a nice homecoming.
It's up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4wg0oBvW0

I third that. I was hoarse for a while after that show from singing at full capacity. I think everyone was just belting along to every lyric.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm

loazis wrote:

I believe they also sang 'on all the Amsterdam streets, where you and I would meet' at a certain point, which was pretty cool =)

Melkweg this summer? He definitely did sing "on all the Amsterdam streets...". Great night.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 6:50 pm

ilockyer wrote:
loazis wrote:

Melkweg this summer? He definitely did sing "on all the Amsterdam streets...". Great night.
Great night indeed =))))))))))))))))
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:18 am

kieran wrote:
Seeing the sheer joy on the guys faces when they played their first proper UK show at the ULU in London back in 2008. Never seen a band so appreciative of their audience.

i agree & then when everyone got up on stage to sing diner it was brill.

another moment i love happens at every gig of theirs i've been to, there#s always one point when brian steps back from the microphone & you can see he's having a few seconds to take it all in - the crowd, the atmosphere & the size of the venue & a big grin comes over his face.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am

ktp wrote:
kieran wrote:

i agree & then when everyone got up on stage to sing diner it was brill.

I was one of them Very Happy

Such a fantastic show all round. I think they where shocked that so many people came out to see this little known band from New Jersey. Now look whats happened.
Back to top Go down
breakwhatbreaksyourheart
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
breakwhatbreaksyourheart

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:49 pm

was anyone at the philly show when he changed the ending to blue jeans and white tshirts? and he said "someday ill buy you that house on cookman avenue, if the crime rate doesnt keep going up so high" it was hilarious. my favorite live happening would be in richmond, va when he put his hand over his heart and said "i will leave the front light on"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755142136
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memorable live happenings   Memorable live happenings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memorable live happenings
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next