DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian to VG (Norwegain source)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Empty
PostSubject: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 am

So, one of our national newspapers had a short interview with Brian yesterday before the concert. I'll translate as good as my poor written English allows me:

- Music was my chance to survive.

Brian to VG (Norwegain source) 1281530560362_727

ØYAFESTIVALEN (VG Nett) Vocalist and guitarist Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem saw just one way out of poverty.

- Growing up was hard. Me and
my friends often had to work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. Myself, I
saw the music as my chance. That is why I stayed away from drugs and
alchohol so I could fokus on making music, Fallon tells VG Nett

The tattoed [frontmannen] plays with The Gaslight Anthem at Øyafestivalen in Oslo tonight. It is the second time the band plays in Norway. First time was during the Hovefestivalen last year.

Prefers rain

- That time the weather was quite different, and we hung at the beach backstage, but actually I prefer this. The weather is more serious, and it keeps people from being distracted and they listen more to the music playing, says the guitarist, while the rain drums on the roof of the tent where we met for the interview, just a couple of hours before the band is going on stage.

The Gaslight Anthem comes from Jersey in USA, and have had to put up with quite alot of comparisions to "The Boss" himself, Bruce Springsteen. But they don't feel the extra pressure.

- I realy don't quite get the comparison. Bruce Springsteen is huge. Everyone knows he is. I say: He is Madonna-big, explains Fallon.

- Myself I like to think of us as an undergroundband, more in the clothes of Iggy Pop and Tom Waits, but by all means, if we manage to acheive what Bruce Springsteen has achieved, I won't be saying no thanks, Fallon tells us with a big smile.

Sings about poverty

The punkrocker is dressed in black from top to toes, and covered with ink. On his fingers he has the words "Stay Free" tattooed, after The Clash song with the same name.

- I love The Clash!, and the last lines of the song are so great! "Have a drink on me, but go easy, step lightly, stay free". It is the perfect message, something I try to tell our fans, after we've played our shows

The Gaslight Anthem came earlier this year with their third album, "American Slang"

- The record is about all the people in the lower middleclass. Those who aren't rich enough to go to college, but on the other side not so poor they're homeless. There are alot of them, and that was how we grew up. I have no education myself, and without the music I wouldn't have had anything, says Fallon.

He says he planning on seeing the Iggy and The Stooges consert later on.

- I just have to watch it. What I like the most about Iggy is that he's a man with so strong opinions, and he's not afraid of saying what he thinks. And the point that he continues to do what he's allways done even at his age, is impressive, says the guitarist and the vocalist - which have started surfing to get in better shape.

«Jersey Shore»-fan

- You can actually surf on the Jersey Shore, where we come from. I won't be going back there untill november, and by that time the temperature will not be much to speak off, but with a wet-suit I guess it will be alright. And if I'm able to surf there in November, I'm able to surf anywhere, he laughs.

Preliminary the Jersey Shore is probably more known for the controversial reality show with the same name, than they are known the Gaslight Anthem

- I think "Jersey Shore" is fun. My favorite is Pauly D. I don't watch it that much, but the way they picture it is almost spot on. You have the gang who's into techno and trains alot, an you have the ones like me who plays music. That's the way it has always been on the Jersey Shore, without it being any problem, says Fallon

Source

It's a pretty rough translation, but I hope it is better than what google translator would have gotten me. Also all the quotes are translated in the article, so just because it is in English here doesn't mean it was what Brian originally said.

Anyone knew about the surfing part?
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am

What's the name of the newspaper?

Also, didn't Brian say that "The Jersey Shore" is as inaccurate as it can get or something on the black cat bootleg? (the acoustic...)
Back to top Go down
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

VG (Verdens Gang)
It is one of the 2 (perhaps 3) biggest newspapers covering general news, so fairly legit.

Anyone have the bootleg? May be a change of perspective or something.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

The video of him talking about it at that show is on Youtube. I just don't remember which song he said it before.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnXwwuTewAE
Around 3 min
Back to top Go down
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 am

To me it sounds like he talks about how many of those situated reality shows are inaccurate, but when he comes to "Jersey Shore" he mostly talks about how the dudes around Jersey mostly are, and it sounds pretty spot on with what I've seen (from half an episode of Jersey Shore ever).
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:53 am

I think he meant it was inaccurate as far as the kids that actually live there. The summer kids that visit are a whole other story. Pauly D's from RI, I think Snookie's from Poughkeepsie, Angelina from Staten Island... I'm sad I know this information offhand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian to VG (Norwegain source)   Brian to VG (Norwegain source) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian to VG (Norwegain source)
Page 1 of 1