DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Literary References

Go down 
+2
ambrose
billy pilgrim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

Literary References Empty
PostSubject: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:02 am

So we all know Brian likes to talk about other songs and bands in his lyrics, but there are also some references to books: the title Great Expectations, the name Estella and Marley's Chains are all references to Charles Dickens, and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues is a (fantastic) book by Tom Robbins. Actually he's one of my favorite writers, I was psyched when I saw that as a song title. But I'm not really all that widely read, even though I do love books, so has anyone else picked up on any other references to books in other songs?

I am totally a nerd and I always want to know what other people are reading, so this stuff is interesting to me.
Back to top Go down
ambrose
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:22 pm

this isn't what you meant, but everything TGA does sounds like something the characters in On The Road would have said or done.
that's a very good thing to me.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 4:21 am

Well of course there is "All hope abandon, ye who enter here" but when we were in Berlin I argued that it was not a reference because everyone knows that line now.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 4:22 am

I read Still Life With Woodpecker, another Tom Robbins novel... absolutley hilarious... and it even got me a girls phone number!
Back to top Go down
LittleJonnyHormone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 5:06 am

I was pumped about Cowgirls too. A book store owner recommended me that once when I told him what I was into. I never read it yet, I've been meaning to. Just been too busy to put aside time to sit down and read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theehormones
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 pm

not a literary reference, but "Here's Looking At You, Kid" is a line from the final scene of the movie "Casablanca", which falls under the "film noir" movie genre

Last edited by Jukebox Romeo on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 pm

dont think ive ever seen that movie
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:51 pm

also, "Great Expectations" is a movie, maybe based on the book, and "Film Noir" is a movie term referring to stylish crime dramas of the '40s and '50s (the film noir era of movies)

"Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" is a movie and song and book

"I Coulda Been A Contender" is from the movie "On the Waterfront" ("You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am.")

"Wooderson" is from the movie "Dazed and Confused"
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:22 pm

"Bleeder" is a movie

and "Sometimes You Eat the Bar (Sometimes the Bar Eats You)" is a line from The Big Lebowski, but I already knew that. that's a great movie. it's hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Literary References   Literary References Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Literary References
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: