DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)

Go down 
+3
Bea
Janet
acousticbandit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Empty
PostSubject: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 pm

great read

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2010/07/gaslight-anthem-sails-ever-since-sinkorswim-ultimatum.html
Back to top Go down
Janet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:22 pm

See yay, they've definately made it <3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Quote :
The band got signed to a small record deal, but was dropped within six months

this isnt XOXO records?
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:48 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Quote :

this isnt XOXO records?
they weren't dropped by XOXO records... right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Bea wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Quote :

this isnt XOXO records?

I always thought that they left XOXO records by choice.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Bea wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Quote :

this isnt XOXO records?

I always thought that they left XOXO records by choice.
me too. i always thought that they left for a bigger record deal with S1D. i mean, Sink or Swim was released by XOXO Records and Hellbent Records... this is confusing. let's wait and see if someone recalls what really happened
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 pm

if i remember correctly, it was eyeball records. i'm not really sure what the lineup of the band was at that point though, it may have been pre-tga.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:42 pm

the wikipedia page for Eyeball Records has Gaslight Anthem under the Eyeball Alumni list
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Quote :

this isnt XOXO records?

This was indeed Eyeball Records, as Brian and Benny explain in an interview with the German Ox-Fanzine in the December 2007 /January 2008 issue (#75).

Basically, Eyeball brought in a producer who wanted to change the band's sound, they said 'no', the producer left, they got fired by the label.

[German quote]

Brian: Wir waren hatten einen Vertrag mit Eyeball Records, einem Label aus unserer Heimatstadt New Jersey, das irgendwann auf die Idee kam, einen Produzenten ins Spiel zu bringen, der, ohne uns davon etwas zu sagen, unseren Sound komplett ändern sollte. Wie sich herausstellte, sollte ich, nach der Vorstellung des Labels, als Solo-Act mit Akustikgitarre und neuer, angemieteter Band auftreten, wovon wir aber nichts wussten. Erst als wir im Studio waren und der Produzent versuchte, durch Pianos, Glockenschläge oder sonst was unseren Songs ihre Ursprünglichkeit zu nehmen, wurde klar, was da abging. Wir sagten natürlich Nein zu dem Plan, woraufhin der Produzent das Studio verließ und das Label uns kurzfristig mitteilte, wir wären gefeuert.

Benny: Sie hatten eine ziemlich konkrete Vorstellung von dem, wie die Band und das Album klingen sollten, was für uns einfach nicht tragbar gewesen wäre, da es nicht dem entsprach, was wir machen wollten. Eine dumme Situation. Mittlerweile sind wir froh, dass es so gekommen ist, da wir unter diesen Voraussetzungen das Album niemals so aufgenommen hätten, wie wir uns das gedacht haben.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:58 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Quote :

this isnt XOXO records?

This was indeed Eyeball Records, as Brian and Benny explain in an interview with the German Ox-Fanzine in the December 2007 /January 2008 issue (#75).

Basically, Eyeball brought in a producer who wanted to change the band's sound, they said 'no', the producer left, they got fired by the label.

[German quote]

Brian: Wir waren hatten einen Vertrag mit Eyeball Records, einem Label aus unserer Heimatstadt New Jersey, das irgendwann auf die Idee kam, einen Produzenten ins Spiel zu bringen, der, ohne uns davon etwas zu sagen, unseren Sound komplett ändern sollte. Wie sich herausstellte, sollte ich, nach der Vorstellung des Labels, als Solo-Act mit Akustikgitarre und neuer, angemieteter Band auftreten, wovon wir aber nichts wussten. Erst als wir im Studio waren und der Produzent versuchte, durch Pianos, Glockenschläge oder sonst was unseren Songs ihre Ursprünglichkeit zu nehmen, wurde klar, was da abging. Wir sagten natürlich Nein zu dem Plan, woraufhin der Produzent das Studio verließ und das Label uns kurzfristig mitteilte, wir wären gefeuert.

Benny: Sie hatten eine ziemlich konkrete Vorstellung von dem, wie die Band und das Album klingen sollten, was für uns einfach nicht tragbar gewesen wäre, da es nicht dem entsprach, was wir machen wollten. Eine dumme Situation. Mittlerweile sind wir froh, dass es so gekommen ist, da wir unter diesen Voraussetzungen das Album niemals so aufgenommen hätten, wie wir uns das gedacht haben.

this is what i meant when i said all of that about the Gaslight info and your website Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_razz
and yeah, that German quote explains everything, i think it's much more clear now for all the no-german speakers out there (including me)...

EDIT: haha google did the trick xD interesting interview, and imho smart move

Last edited by Bea on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Shouldn't be surprised, I guess, that Greg Kot wrote one of the best pieces on the band in recent memory. Wish this had been longer!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:27 pm

I used to google to translate the interview.

Brian: We were a contract with Eyeball Records, a Label from our hometown which
would someday New Jersey had the idea, a producer into the game, not us
about them something to say, our Sound completely changing. As it
turned out, I should, according to the idea of the label, as a Solo Act
with an acoustic guitar and new, angemieteter volume occur, which we but
nothing did.

Benny: They had a fairly concrete idea of which, as the Band and the Album to
sound should be, which for us simply not acceptable would be, because it
is not the corresponded to what we do wanted. A stupid Situation.
Meanwhile, we are pleased that it has come under these conditions that
we never recorded Album, as we have had thought

Kinda sounds like the label wanted them to start out like the way Against me! did. Tom Gabel started the band as a solo acoustic project.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:36 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
I used to google to translate the interview.
i used Google too and this is what i got:

Brian: We should have had a contract with Eyeball Records, a label from our hometown of New Jersey, which eventually came up with the idea to bring into play a producer who, while not tell us anything about to change our sound completely. It turned out that I was to occur after the presentation of the label as a solo act with acoustic guitar and later, hired band, of which we knew nothing. Only when we were in the studio and the producer was trying to take by pianos, bells, or whatever our songs its originality, it became clear what was going on there. Of course we said no to the plan, after which the producer left the studio and the label told us in the short term, we would be fired.

Benny: They had a pretty concrete idea of how the band should sound and the album, something that we simply could not have been acceptable because it does not follow that what we wanted to do. A silly situation. Meanwhile, we are glad that this happened, we would have under these circumstances, the album never recorded, as we have thought of that.

it's weird how we came up with two different translations using the same thing...
what i don't get is that solo/acoustic thing... the band was Brian playing acoustic stuffs at the beginning? scratch or Brian did the presentation for the label solo and then the band came into the picture with the label? damn translators, they don't know how to do things right!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:45 pm

As for the solo bit, translated by a human this comes out as:

"As it turned out, the label's idea was that I should appear as a solo-act with an acoustic guitar and a new, hired band, though we didn't know about this. We only wised up to the situation when we had gotten into the studio, and the producer tried to take away from the original conception of our songs by adding pianos, glockenspiel and whatever else."

(Of course, what Brian actually said in English is anyone's guess.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 pm

I never thought of I Coulda Been a Contender as a country song. Now I wanna try doing a country version of it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)   Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian talks to Chicago Tribune about Gaslight's beginnings (July 2010)
Page 1 of 1