DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS

Go down 
+26
Shrewsbury_Stars
katiehughes22
Jay
Little Eden
azlisa
amberfoyd
sav
bish
Shake Shake Senora
SmilinSkullRing
TGAFAN25
willie56
Sebastiano
steady now steady now
dermyod
PFREEZY
loazis
drifter69
Jeff
acousticbandit
Holland
jzancan
simo
MCStevepants
vamike
kuruptlon
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:22 pm

whoa whoa whoa just kidding. which song by them is one of you favorites? maybe i'll understand then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Idk, to me it kind've fits in the "Red At Night" category. When Brian played it at the show I saw it was acoustic and he sang it solo. It's not a song that the whole band can get behind.

Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm

bish wrote:
this song is more like their earlier work, recorded acoustic it easily fits on sink or swim

I just realized that I pretty much just repeated what you said. Oh well, agreed.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 am

I don't know about the whole organic thing.

I mean unless the album has a loose story going around it like Born to Run or has a running story throughout like the Hold Steady does, then that makes sense. But there's no big story. I find it kind of cheap to keep a song off an album, especially a good one, just because it doesn't fit in exactly with the sound of the album.

I just want to hear their music. I understand if they don't think its good enough, but I remember reading in an Alex R interveiw that they left off one of what he thought was the best songs because it didn't fit the sound.
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 am

"i just want to hear their music"
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 pm

I just want to dance with the poor girls.

It's good, but they kept it off the album for a reason, it's their album, their rules. I'm happy we all got to hear it though =)
Back to top Go down
katiehughes22
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
katiehughes22

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 am

Its my favourite song of theirs, so I definately think it should have made it. We did it when we were young is a perfect closer for the abum, so I think it shoul have been put it after orpahns.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:28 am

azlisa wrote:
i think its a really good song, but nowhere near a favorite. maybe it didn't fit with the overall theme of the record. Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Confused

That's exactly what Brian said in an interview I read (I don't recall which one).
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:20 pm

I don't think there has been but does anyone know if there are any versions of the American Slang CD with She Loves You on it or was it simply only available through iTunes?
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Christophe wrote:
I don't think there has been but does anyone know if there are any versions of the American Slang CD with She Loves You on it or was it simply only available through iTunes?

Came with my download card with the vinyl. That's not iTunes i guess Razz
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:51 pm

It's a classic for me - reminds me of an old sea shanty.
Back to top Go down
J_Bizness
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:21 pm

I agree with those who say that it would have messed with the theme of the album. Brain and the rest of gaslight obviously had an idea of what this "american slang" is and "she loves you" is not part of the slang. I remember brian saying (i think in a making of video) something along the lines that american slang means that america is the land of hope and dreams and in many cases these hope and deams amount to nothing and that this idea of america is false many times.

If GA was a band who made "completest" records (such as ryan adams) where the artist just throws on every good song they have and call it an album She Loves You would've surely made the cut, but GA had a theme that they did not want to wreck and I commend them for their ability to edit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Christophe wrote:
Its on the Australian Tour Edition of the album, which comes with a 2nd CD including some acoustic versions of a few of the songs together with She Loves You and Tumbling Dice.

I bought it a few months ago for around £18 off Amazon Marketplace. Its harder to find now but there are a couple on ebay.com.au for around AU$30. Its worth it if you want a CD version of She Loves You/Tumbling Dice but I wasn't too impressed with the acoustic songs.

Its also the B side on the Tumbling Dice 7" which comes with a free lossless download of both tracks.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:10 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Its on the Australian Tour Edition of the album, which comes with a 2nd CD including some acoustic versions of a few of the songs together with She Loves You and Tumbling Dice.

I bought it a few months ago for around £18 off Amazon Marketplace. Its harder to find now but there are a couple on ebay.com.au for around AU$30. Its worth it if you want a CD version of She Loves You/Tumbling Dice but I wasn't too impressed with the acoustic songs.

Its also the B side on the Tumbling Dice 7" which comes with a free lossless download of both tracks.

Ok thanks for that. I might see if any are available. I don't want to pay stupid prices but I like to physically own as much of their music as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2