DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?

Go down 
+8
GREAT-EXPECTATIONS
loazis
clashcityrocker
TGAFAN25
brianisbae
simo
steady now steady now
ACA
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Empty
PostSubject: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Not overly familiar with The Clash or Joe Strummer, I've heard from a few people that the title track relates to Joe.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://sonicawareness.net
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

ACA wrote:
Not overly familiar with The Clash or Joe Strummer, I've heard from a few people that the title track relates to Joe.

Any ideas?

Huh? It is well know though that 'I'da Called You Woody, Joe' relates to Joe Strummer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm a huge Clash fan and haven't made any connection between the two. But yes, you may be thinking of "I'da Called You Woody, Joe."
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 pm

I was seeing a connection with American Slang and Joe Strummer actually.

and they cut me to ribbons and taught me to drive. - he really relates to and feels connected to their music/The Clash was probably part of his soundtrack when he started driving

I got your name tattooed inside of my arm. - he has a Joe Strummer tattoo

I called for my father but my father had died. - Joe Strummer is dead, and he was a hero to Fallon

while you told me fortunes, in American Slang. - though he didn't speak the best english, he still managed to convey his message with kickass music and "American Slang"

I don't know if I'm over analyzing this haha, but I thought of this a couple weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

A lot of it could be okay except that last line really doesn't fit. Brian has explained quite a few times that the American Slang is the illusion of the American dream...that it doesn't actually work out that way. And I don't see any reason why Strummer would be speaking American Slang when he's British.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm

I thought the same thing when I first heard it- I gave this huge explanation to my Dad about how this song was about their musical influences and the whole thing was such a complicated bunch of references that would make people think it was about somethign else....

Turns out we're both wrong....

In the last Making of American Slang he explains the chorus, I can't remember exactly what he says, but each line is a different part of American life basically...

the name tattooed line is the romantic love story, and he explains the others too! check it out on youtube!
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKVvQBsaWaI

Fast forward to 1:57 and you'll get his explanation!
Back to top Go down
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 1:26 am

The explanation in that video really helped. The title track might be my new favorite!
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 pm

It's about...

life basically.

Wink
Back to top Go down
GREAT-EXPECTATIONS
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I met Brian Fallon and he said it was about how he grew up. I f you don't believe me, go to my website and read his exact words: http://gaslightanthemfans.blogspot.com/2010/07/american-slang-song-meaning.html
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
18milesaminute
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
18milesaminute

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm

simo wrote:
And I don't see any reason why Strummer would be speaking American Slang when he's British.

Completely agree man. I'm a massive Clash fan, since my Dad played them non-stop when I was younger, and I've never had any Clash or Joe Strummer vibes from this song. Personally I think it's allegorical rather than reality.
Also, Brian's tat isn't of Joe's name, it's a charicature image of him and his guitar right? I could be wrong about this but I think I remember watching the video where Brian talks about his tattoos? Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Back to top Go down
LastOfTheJukeBoxRomeos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
LastOfTheJukeBoxRomeos

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 pm

18milesaminute wrote:
simo wrote:
And I don't see any reason why Strummer would be speaking American Slang when he's British.

Completely agree man. I'm a massive Clash fan, since my Dad played them non-stop when I was younger, and I've never had any Clash or Joe Strummer vibes from this song. Personally I think it's allegorical rather than reality.
Also, Brian's tat isn't of Joe's name, it's a charicature image of him and his guitar right? I could be wrong about this but I think I remember watching the video where Brian talks about his tattoos? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah your right about the tattoo, it's a charicature image which he saw in a bar, I think I saw the same video Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

this video? =)

http://www.rocksound.tv/tv/article/the-gaslight-anthem-ii
Back to top Go down
18milesaminute
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
18milesaminute

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Bea wrote:
this video? =)

http://www.rocksound.tv/tv/article/the-gaslight-anthem-ii

Yeah dude, that's the one! Knew I'd watched him talk about it
Back to top Go down
Aggieboy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Next time I'm chatting to Mick Jones in Notting Hill Gate, I'll ask him his opinion. Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
GREAT-EXPECTATIONS
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks to anyone who checked out my site. Smile
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 am

Wonder if Mick knows about Gaslight. Bet he does.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?   American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Slang (song) Meaning? Joe Strummer?
Page 1 of 1