DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner

Go down 
+29
MyFirstSin
funkymonk450
JJW319
CluckyB
borrowedcar
steffuhnee
Johnny99
sidekicksuicide
MCStevepants
Prisoner
liveit
hostutca
LBAZ
jhu
fools_gold
landan101
Vibes
laurendelore
stephendgaf
kieran
xstevenbx
bantha
thekid5591
Stalls_Standing
PatientFabiWheel
JoshRaymond
Jukebox Romeo
e7c
Matt Days
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:21 am

hostutca wrote:
Tomaldo wrote:
I just looked it up now, had never heard of it before. I watched it for 27 seconds then turned it off...

The song or the air-guitar?

The video of course! It's the guys choice whether he does it or not, and I would have found it funny with a song by a different band I think...
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:08 am

Ah well, at least the guy has great music taste.
He plays airguitar to my favorite songs

also who doesn't air guitar or air drums while rocking out? I do

It's also funny when you see guys at shows playing airguitar. I do that too sometimes when I know how to play the song on guitar
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes, everyone is partial to a bit of air guitar/drums now and again. I've never seen it at a show though!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:36 pm

i've seen air drums plenty of times at shows, and it is incredibly annoying. it's like, great, you know when the fills are, congratulations. just pump your fist or something
Back to top Go down
MCStevepants
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MCStevepants

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 8:45 pm

I love this song, and prefer 'Diner' over dinner...like a husband & wife ran a diner together, you know...
Back to top Go down
MusicFie

PostSubject: About the title   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 1:33 pm

I think it was actually supposed to be title We're Getting a Divorce You Keep the Diner. It could be referring to him losing his friends, or them leaving him, and he's going his own way and they can keep the diner, where they used to hang out. Also in Great Expectations "...and they burned down the diner where I always used to find her"
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Brian's talked about how in New Jersey (the diner capital of the world) people and couples go to diners a lot and when those couples break up it's a struggle as to who gets to keep going to that diner. That's the background of that song's title, I believe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
sidekicksuicide
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sidekicksuicide

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:27 am

Vibes wrote:
Brian's talked about how in New Jersey (the diner capital of the world) people and couples go to diners a lot and when those couples break up it's a struggle as to who gets to keep going to that diner. That's the background of that song's title, I believe.

yeah, I've heard that story/interview
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:36 am

The Ridge Diner, Park Ridge, NJ
FTW.

hah my favorite of jersey diners.
i have fallen asleep with my face in my food on more than one occasion.
Back to top Go down
steffuhnee
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
steffuhnee

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 2:43 am

Ohhhh, I always wondered . Smile
Back to top Go down
Gabriell

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:49 pm

It's called We're Getting a Divorce, You keep the Diner, because in his first marriage he and his wife owned a diner, and when they got a divorce he gave it to her, and he has nothing to do with it anymore.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:23 am

he was only married once to hollie and he still is
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:31 am

Brian has explained this one before. Apparently, diners are often a big part of a relationship in New Jersey -- to the extent that when a couple breaks up who "gets the diner" (i.e. who gets to keep visiting it without having to worry about akwardly running into your ex) is actually an issue.

As far as the whole "divorce" thing goes, Brian explained in the recent uncut interview that he had a serious enough relationship with a girl that while he wasn't married he refers to it as his "first wife". I'm not sure if that is this divorce or some other break up he is referencing though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't think this has been pointed out yet, but if it has, sorry. I've heard Brian say before that he's an Alkaline Trio fan, and I know he played with them at one point. I think the line "Did they fall down by the wayside?" is a reference to the Trio song called Burn, "Somehow we fell down by the wayside." Anybody else agree with this?
Once again, sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 7:08 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Brian has explained this one before. Apparently, diners are often a big part of a relationship in New Jersey -- to the extent that when a couple breaks up who "gets the diner" (i.e. who gets to keep visiting it without having to worry about akwardly running into your ex) is actually an issue.

As far as the whole "divorce" thing goes, Brian explained in the recent uncut interview that he had a serious enough relationship with a girl that while he wasn't married he refers to it as his "first wife". I'm not sure if that is this divorce or some other break up he is referencing though.

Yea, I think it is in the Brian Explained Masterlist thread

My mind was blown when I read it for the first time
Back to top Go down
funkymonk450
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm

When I saw them this last time in Lincoln, Nebraska, I was the first person in the door, front row and all (no crowd barrier, arms resting on the stage by Brians feet). I brought a sign requesting the song and slowly raised it while Brian was messing with his pedal board during the encore, he read it and said "We can do that one for you man!" and went and whispered it to the band and they killed it that night.... thats not a concert I will soon forget.
Back to top Go down
MyFirstSin
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MyFirstSin

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 pm

xstevenbx wrote:
apparently they don't play this song live anymore. I spoke to brian for a bit when they were here in orlando, he said that they wanted to pick 1 show, play it one last time, and then be done with it. i thought it was kinda weird since this is the song they closed with the first 2 times i saw them. they must have their reasons though, they probably just got tired of it. also, i love the backseat as their new closing song.

I think I remember Brian saying they were going to Orlando right after they left Atlanta, and he played Diner on request here, too. He mentioned that the "Zombie time" line was from some random japanimation, which has already been mentioned on the thread. But, we shouldn't look for how it contributes to the songs lyrics so much as its attitude, because the song was totally written and everything when Alex R asked brian if it was cool if they put it in and Brian was like, "Yea, whatever, that's cool." Also, while the comments on Jersey diners are obviously accurate and relevent, I think it may be important to note taht when Brian would work two jobs to save up money for a tour, one of those jobs was a diner/pizza joint. As for retiring the song, 1930 and River's Edge are retired, too. I don't think it's permanent, i think when he's "done with it" it's only until they've had enough space from the song to want to play it again. I doubt it's gone for good, and in the video where he says he's done, he's smiling like he does when he's saying something random just to be funny (most common at solo acoustic shows).

CluckyB wrote:

Could you post a link to that interview? I've seen all of them taht I can find, but I can't find many where he talks about his personal life pre-TGA, and i'd like to see more.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm

MyFirstSin wrote:

CluckyB wrote:

Could you post a link to that interview? I've seen all of them taht I can find, but I can't find many where he talks about his personal life pre-TGA, and i'd like to see more.

From a Q+A with Uncut.

Quote :
Did you really have a first wife? What's the story there? Chastity Anderson, Manchester
That's a common misconception. I wasn;t actually married before! I refer to an earlier wife in lyrics. That's because I had a very serious relationship when I was young. I thought I was going to be with this person forever. So, by describing her as my wife, I was trying to get a point across that it was deeper that a teenage fling. I'm taking artistic freedom. But, Jeez, people dig into that! They really look for some dirt there! I'm impressed by how obsessive they get.

You can find the rest of the interview here:
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t1864-uncutcouk-submit-questions-for-brian
Back to top Go down
MyFirstSin
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MyFirstSin

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 pm

THank you SO much! I google lots of online videos, and i have a massive collection of youtube interviews, but the magazine ones are out of my reach.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am

At the end in the "It's alright man, I'm only bleeding man, stay hungry, stay free and do the best you can"
The Stay Hungry Stay hard, sound awfully like a part of the Springsteen song "This Hard Land".
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 pm

There's a Dylan Song named "Its Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)".
Can we assume this is another case of Gaslight quoting great artists? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 3:12 am

This song fucking killed tonight
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner   We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Diner
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3