DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)

Go down 
+13
sidekicksuicide
andy.mac
jzancan
Daire
steady now steady now
loazis
Shrewsbury_Stars
ral
Casey
talley
DaveSavedTheDay
Prisoner
Vibes
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Empty
PostSubject: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:48 pm

I recognize Brian's vocals at the end of The Queen of Lower Chelsea as something, I just can't place my finger on where I know it from.

Anyone know what he's singing?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance?

sorry for this, but the last part made me think of that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

the last part reminds me of Tom Waits. (not complaining)
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 pm

I kinda hear "Without I/I would die/Little child, bury me." but I have no clue if that's right or what it'd be from if it's from anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 am

Thought Id go ahead and give the lyrics here a try

The Queen of Lower Chelsea

Did you grow up lonesome and one of a kind?
Were your records all you had, to pass the time?
Or maybe you were taken by the mysteries in New Orleans
Or the uptight, rowdy girls in lower Chelsea
And we hustle in London, but we live in the city

And we keep it down, when we take a beating
Yeah we keep it down with the radio on
And if you find a good man don’t take him home
When you’re workin full time and spendin all of your nights never dancing like you did
When the gravity hangs on all the (selling points)? you had
You shoulda stayed and been the queen of lower Chelsea

Did you grow up a good girl, your daddy’s pride?
Did you make all the right moves, take all the right drugs, right on time?
American girls, they want the whole world, they want every last light in New York City
But we hustle in London, but we’re fast asleep

And we keep it down, when we take a beating
Yeah we keep it down with the radio on
And if you find a good man don’t take him home
When you’re workin full time and spendin all of your nights never dancing, like you did
When the gravity hangs on all the selling points you had

Well, they say these days, nothing comes cheap
And everything has a price, everyone has a price,
Not nothing is free, not even me

When you’re workin full time and spendin all of your nights never dancing like you did
You shoulda stayed and been the queen

Lemme know what yall think
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:15 pm

DaveSavedTheDay wrote:
I kinda hear "Without I/I would die/Little child, bury me." but I have no clue if that's right or what it'd be from if it's from anything.

Damn, that totally makes sense. I was thinking it ended in "marry me" all this time Laughing
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:48 pm

So Brian sang the background vocals today on the acoustic version.

Where thou die, I shall die, and there they shall bury me

It appears that these were inspired by Ruth 1:17. I'm not a very religious person but I found this after a search - http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Rut&chapter=1&verse=17

I'm sure others noticed before but it's a style similar to the background vocals on The Blues, Mary (Amazing Grace) and Tin Pan Alley (23rd Psalm).
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 11:38 am

ral wrote:

It appears that these were inspired by Ruth 1:17. I'm not a very religious person but I found this after a search - http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Rut&chapter=1&verse=17

I'm sure others noticed before but it's a style similar to the background vocals on The Blues, Mary (Amazing Grace) and Tin Pan Alley (23rd Psalm).

Excellent find! Thanks for posting this.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm not a fan of anything religious or biblical at all, but I have to say that this line struck me somehow.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:11 pm

According to Brian's Q&A in the current Uncut, "the germ for that song was being in London, around last year's Hyde Park Festival, and seeing this shirt that read 'We Hustle in London'. I thought, oh man, that's cool."

I wonder if it was this one:

http://www.wehustle.co.uk/Productdetails.aspx?pID=f95996cc-6686-4d59-8c9d-5808fec8c423

The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Getimage
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Kidcrack

PostSubject: Backkground vocala   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:47 am

Well theres an acoustic version about it think the vocals at the end is, & this is what i hear during the acoustic version : "Where thou' die/ I shall die/ There, they shall, bury me/ Where thou' die, there they shall bury me"

Hope that helps. New album is ace btw Smile
Back to top Go down
Kidcrack

PostSubject: Backkground vocala   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:48 am

Well theres an acoustic version about it think the vocals at the end is, & this is what i hear during the acoustic version : "Where thou' die/ I shall die/ There, they shall, bury me/ Where thou' die, there they shall bury me"

Hope that helps. New album is ace btw Smile
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:42 am

Have a look 4 posts up Wink
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:49 pm

ral wrote:

Where did Psalm 23 fit with Tin Pan Alley? (I usually listen to a live acoustic version, not the recording, so I'm not sure if I'm missing it or he doesn't do it live...I dunno.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 3:27 pm

jzancan wrote:
ral wrote:

Where did Psalm 23 fit with Tin Pan Alley? (I usually listen to a live acoustic version, not the recording, so I'm not sure if I'm missing it or he doesn't do it live...I dunno.)

There's a line or two in the background of the bridge on the studio version. It's pretty hard to make out but Brian said that's what it is.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:06 pm

haha thats a cool shirt.
Back to top Go down
sidekicksuicide
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sidekicksuicide

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:24 am

what does "we hustle in London" mean?
Back to top Go down
Shake Shake Senora
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 5:31 pm

this song has got to be the story of a hooker in nyc...
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 pm

what is this song about exactly??
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:57 am

Oh yeah you can definitely hear Psalm 23 in Tin Pan Alley, I was talking to Brain on myspace one day and he told me about Psalm 23 being in their, that was back when he still had his solo page
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
DianaAntonia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 pm

amberfoyd wrote:
what is this song about exactly??

They way I've understood it, the song is about a girl who grew up in a small town not feeling comfortable about herself. Beeing pushed to be a good-girl.
("Were your records all you had to pass your time?"/ "Did you make all the right moves, take all the right drugs right on time").

Then she moves to New York to chase her dreams. Unfortunately, she isn't doing as well as she hoped.
("When you're working full-time, And spending all of your nights never dancing like you did")

But she is to proud to confess that to anyone at home.
("And we keep it down when we take a beating
Yeah, we keep it down with the radio on
And if you find a good man, don't take him home")

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)   The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (background vocals)
Page 1 of 1