DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elliott Smith

Go down 
+2
Jukebox Romeo
steph
6 posters
AuthorMessage
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 am

It's taken me until now to realize there is no topic here for Elliott Smith! And I know there have to be at least of few of you who are fans...and seeing as I'm in a total Elliott Smith mood right now, I thought I'd post a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDjD_U-O080&feature=related

his cover of "Jealous Guy"

Ok, now I'm hoping some of you will post some other good youtube vids of his.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I think I've seen just about every video on youtube about Elliott. He was soooo great!
Always loved this song and video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFH63dwa1Ls
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow, I can't believe there aren't more Elliott fans. Kinda bums me out; the guy was incredible.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Gimme an album to start with. I'm intrigued...
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Wow, I can't believe there aren't more Elliott fans. Kinda bums me out; the guy was incredible.

Thats funny because listening to his music kinda bums me out. JK.

Anyways heres some of my favorite songs:

"A distorted reality is now a necessity to"

"angeles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQrhA6QtWOM

"2:45 am"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQkhsVCWXyg

"twilight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJthA4l8S5U

Sad story with him really. Never know if he committed suicide or there was some foul play. Brilliant guy though.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 7:06 pm

I was really into Elliot Smith a couple of years ago and this has re started my obsession , amazing stuff .
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Either/Or is my favorite album of his.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

I agree with the person who chose "Either/Or", one of my favorites, definitely listen to that record. Soooo GOOD. Elliott Smith makes me depressed, but in a way that I don't feel alone. I feel worse, but better, at the same time, listening to him.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:01 pm

steph wrote:
Jukebox Romeo wrote:

I agree with the person who chose "Either/Or", one of my favorites, definitely listen to that record. Soooo GOOD. Elliott Smith makes me depressed, but in a way that I don't feel alone. I feel worse, but better, at the same time, listening to him.

I completely agree about feeling worse and better at the same time. There's such a weird energy to his music, it hits me like nothing else can. And the more you find out about his music, and who he was as a person, that weird intensity just gets bigger an bigger. Visiting the memorial wall in California is one of the main things I want to do in my life.
Back to top Go down
the constant
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
the constant

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I love elliott smith.
I got the chance to visit his memorial wall this year when I went on holiday to california.
it's got a lot of unrelated graffiti on it now, but it was still really cool to get to see it.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:58 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

self titled.

or songs.... say yes, big nothing, blah blah....just listen to it all and see what hits you. nothing of his is bad! my faves tend to be self titiled, xo, and from a basement on the hill.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:00 am

stepsandnumbers wrote:
steph wrote:
Jukebox Romeo wrote:

I completely agree about feeling worse and better at the same time. There's such a weird energy to his music, it hits me like nothing else can. And the more you find out about his music, and who he was as a person, that weird intensity just gets bigger an bigger. Visiting the memorial wall in California is one of the main things I want to do in my life.

when people talk about him committing suicide, i imagine the way nirvana fans probably feel re: suicide, although more likely he didnt commit suicide. but yeah, that's another drama. regardless, one of the greatest regrets of my life will be not knowing of elliott soon enough to see him in person before his death.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 1:16 pm

this is more clearer version of his Jealous Guy cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGV-GVSwO0&feature=related

I LOVE miss misery (which I beleive is about depression so I can relate to it); he had such a pure and simple voice. I thought his girlfriend stabbed him to death? Then I read it was suicide?
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Matilda Noir wrote:

I LOVE miss misery (which I beleive is about depression so I can relate to it); he had such a pure and simple voice. I thought his girlfriend stabbed him to death? Then I read it was suicide?

The official cause of death is undetermined. Two stab wounds to the chest. Brutal.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:47 pm

i love the song Twilight , its so simple and haunting.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 am

Holland wrote:
i love the song Twilight , its so simple and haunting.

Definitely one of my favorites, too.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:19 am

Matilda Noir wrote:

meh, it was undetermined, but i've seen more evidence pointing to the girlfriend. blahblah...not to sound like a kurt cobain/courtney love psycho but yeah. read more about it...
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:55 am

steph wrote:
Matilda Noir wrote:

meh, it was undetermined, but i've seen more evidence pointing to the girlfriend. blahblah...not to sound like a kurt cobain/courtney love psycho but yeah. read more about it...

Yeah, it definitely seems like some sketchy stuff went down.. Just one of those things where you can never know for sure.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_MmpjfDt70&feature=related

Love this.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am

yeah, not to prolong the cobain/love type discussion, but the more i read about elliott, it seemed he had distanced himself from the addictions, and reading how sketchy his gf was and all the physical evidence, (such as the lack of hesitation marks as typical of suicide), the more i believe something weird went down between his gf and him...i read a book that i have since lent to a friend and never seen again "the big nothing"...anyways, it just seems based on all i've read that suicide is the obvious scapegoat but seems like he was feeling much better...who knows. either way, elliott is one of the top few performers i wish, wish, wish, i had seen before he passed. i remember how annoyed all my college roommates used to get when i played his music (except one, who was from LA and had an advanced copy of From a Basment on the Hill)...but one of my saddest regrets is not going to see Elliott live, ever.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 am

Yeah, I agree. And same as you, I try not to get all conspiracy theory or whatever about it, but it just seems weird. But who knows. I have that book! I have two others too, one's called Elliott Smith's XO, which is mainly just about the album XO, and then I have one by Autmn de Wilde that has tons of pictures and interviews with people who knew Elliott. Definitely worth reading!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 am

oh yeah, i've read the autumn de wilde book (but don't own it), but it has some good stuff and a CD of live songs if i remember correctly...got it from my local library and burnt it hah.
Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 am

haha, yup! I love his cover of All My Rowdy Friend Have Settled Down. Makes me laugh every time.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 am

pretty much anything sounds better when elliott's singing it...even when he's laughing his way thru it, ahha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elliott Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elliott Smith   Elliott Smith Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elliott Smith
Page 1 of 1