DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
+9
steph
Stevearm
Holland
RobertODonnell
simo
kieran
ktp
JoshRaymond
Palmer89
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

2010 Empty
PostSubject: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 6:38 pm

So...whats happening in 2010 with everyone, or hoping to happen?

For me, I will be finishing my degree this next year, around June time, I doubt it'll be of a high classification, hopefully a 2:2 the way things are going. But afterwards hoping to get a foot on the ladder career wise and earn some money to be able to get on holiday with. Will also be 21 in a couple of weeks time, 7th Jan, unfortunatly then it's a long wait until the next big event, christmas.

Will be moving out of the flat I currently live in with the girlfriend, most likely, all depends jobs and career wise where I end up after that but no student loan to live on will mean complete independentness, also looking to quit my 5 year long job at the co-op where I work holidays for the same reason, career.

Music relatedness, have got 3 gigs lined up already, 30 Seconds to Mars, Turin Brakes and Lostpropets as well as seeing Derren Brown weave his magic (almost literally). Not to mention Gaslights new record which is going to be huge. If they come over to the UK at all this next year that'll be on the agenda immediatly.

Other than that, maybe a holiday somewhere if money allows it. Perhaps a few more gigs if certain bands come to my area. The big thing is finished degree and job searching.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 7:39 pm

i plan on learning guitar
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:29 pm

i'm going to get my act together and update my portfolio after santa bought me a lovely new one.
hopefully move in with my boyfriend when we get a mortage on a flat in london! eep! can't wait!
only got a biffy clyro gig lined up so far but will hopefully ad frank turner to it and gasligt when they tour.
then the usual resolutions - lose weight, budget better, yadda, yaddya, yadda! Razz

but all in all i've got a good feeling 2010 will be a good year! Very Happy hope it is for all yous lot too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Get back into photography and start shooting gigs again which is the one thing im actually any good at just been neglected due to my degree.

Keep focused on my degree and start my dissertation.

Stop spending money on stuff I dont need and focus on the things that really matter (family, girlfriend etc)

Going to a few festivals so far Larmertree, Camp Bestival and Bestival im fed up with big shitty festivals like Reading and Glasto maybe im just getting old. Also seeing Air again at the Roundhouse. Cant afford to go to any other gigs though might scrape The Low Anthem.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Keep working on playing guitar and writing songs...looking to get into recording a bit. I've ordered a microphone.

Only show I've got lined up so far is U2 in July in Philly. Looking forward to that one. If Gaslight comes near me I'll hopefully get to that.
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 am

After attending Outside Lands this year, I would love to attend another music festival in 2010 Maybe Coachella.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm gonna try to not flunk out of college.

And I'm patiently awaiting the final season of Lost. Anyone else watch it?
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 7:15 am

I'll be finishing my bachelor in biology this year

i'm gonna get my septum pierced

i'm trying to get to another country to begin a post-graduate study in marine biology, most likely in oz or kiwi

if studying abroad won't work, i'll be travelling to sweden and cambodia instead

i'll be celebrating first anniversary of being vegan

and a lot more
but most important: i will be keeping on living my dreams, thinking positive for the future, and enjoy lots of more and my old good music.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Goals for the year:

Do not fail UNI,
Get a new Guitar,
Do some gigs,
Get a tatoo,
Keep things in perspective,
Have a laugh,
Buy Gaslights new album and go watch them.
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Graduate high school, go to Boot Camp, be a Marine, play with fire
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
I'm gonna try to not flunk out of college.

And I'm patiently awaiting the final season of Lost. Anyone else watch it?

Can't wait
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 am

Grazer wrote:

i'll be celebrating first anniversary of being vegan

and a lot more
but most important: i will be keeping on living my dreams, thinking positive for the future, and enjoy lots of more and my old good music.

a whole year of being vegan- congrats! i haven't made that step thus far. i've been vegetarian for years, but haven't gone vegan yet, though i suspect eventually i will. has it been fairly easy for you? im curious how different it is an a different country & culture.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 am

Personally, I don't want to make too many plans for the year, but there are a few things I have in mind-

Eating healthier, exercising more, and drinking less (the usual resolutions, right?)

Having more fun than last year! (I think that's a good one), moving out of Arizona, completing my Associate's degree, getting back into photography, and going to tons of shows. And I'm looking forward to quite a few records that oughta be coming out this year! Oh and the new "Alice in Wonderland" with Johnny Depp.

Oh, and hopefully finding a job I don't absolutely loathe, seeing as I quit mine a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 am

steph wrote:
Oh, and hopefully finding a job I don't absolutely loathe, seeing as I quit mine a few days ago.

oh the luxury of it
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:36 am

@ steph
actually it's not been as hard as i thought it would be.
i've already been vegetarian for 4 years, but when i thought about being vegan it was always like: "omg, there's nothing to eat for me anymore"

but when i decided to live vegan, i changed my nutrition in only one day and then it was quite easy. you just keep off the things containing not only meat, but also milk, milkpowder, -sugar, egg, egg-powder, honey and any form of these things and CONCENTRATE on those things you can eat. it's what makes it a lot easier.

The last months i've spent a lot of time going through ingredients-list of food, it's extreme how many things in a regular supermarket contain anything from animals.

i don't know if it's easier to be vegan in austria. a lot of my friends asked why also no eggs, milk and honey. austria is worldwide leader in biological farming and then it's not as bad for the animals as in mass production.
let me say: we've got a lot of turkish supermarkets in austria, getting the best fruits and vegetables and only half the prize as usual. in bigger cities (as the one i am living in) there are always vegan and vegetarian restaurants. in normal restaurants it kan be really hard to find something to eat. when i'm with my parents my mom always cooks something that's vegan for the whole family and myself i am good cook too.

thinking about your question, yes i do think it's quite easier to be vegan in austria than let's say in the u.s.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:18 pm

find a new job and get slaughtered every saturday as usual,gotta keep up the tradition
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
benbenben
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
benbenben

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Stevearm wrote:
Graduate high school, go to Boot Camp, be a Marine, play with fire

Hey man, good luck.

Was reading about the selection process the other day on Wikipedia, well the British one anyway. Sounds like a tightner!
Back to top Go down
http://www.benbenbenblogblogblog.blogspot.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Grazer wrote:
@ steph
actually it's not been as hard as i thought it would be.
i've already been vegetarian for 4 years, but when i thought about being vegan it was always like: "omg, there's nothing to eat for me anymore"

but when i decided to live vegan, i changed my nutrition in only one day and then it was quite easy. you just keep off the things containing not only meat, but also milk, milkpowder, -sugar, egg, egg-powder, honey and any form of these things and CONCENTRATE on those things you can eat. it's what makes it a lot easier.

The last months i've spent a lot of time going through ingredients-list of food, it's extreme how many things in a regular supermarket contain anything from animals.

i don't know if it's easier to be vegan in austria. a lot of my friends asked why also no eggs, milk and honey. austria is worldwide leader in biological farming and then it's not as bad for the animals as in mass production.
let me say: we've got a lot of turkish supermarkets in austria, getting the best fruits and vegetables and only half the prize as usual. in bigger cities (as the one i am living in) there are always vegan and vegetarian restaurants. in normal restaurants it kan be really hard to find something to eat. when i'm with my parents my mom always cooks something that's vegan for the whole family and myself i am good cook too.

thinking about your question, yes i do think it's quite easier to be vegan in austria than let's say in the u.s.

Concentrate on what you can eat- Exactly, that's so true, that's what I always tell people who ask me how difficult it is to be vegetarian. I haven't touched meat in somewhere around eight years now, and I always think eventually I'll transition to veganism. I am sloooowly transitioning, I guess, haha. I've recently cut out eating most beans because of the lard, pretty much use exclusively soy milk on the rare occasion that I do have milk, etc. I guess the reason I haven't is thinkin,g I would probably slip up quite often anyways, what with having to scan the ingredients in the grocery store (again, I agree with you- it is absolutely absurd what foods contain animal ingredients that you would never know if you were not scanning the ingredient list in every item. Sometimes you wouldn't even know it- like "carmine" aka crushed up beetles used for coloring) and eating at restaurants. Sometimes, when I ask about veg options, the waiter still asks me "Can you eat fish?" and I'm like..."No...I'm vegetarian." But then again, maybe those are just excuses! I wonder if you guys have less fast food junk where you live than in America. That might make a bit of difference in how easy it would be to commit to being vegan.
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:53 pm

@ steph
i think you totally got the right attitude for becoming a "successfull" vegan, i know that changing your nutrition can be very hard.
the only thing i really was sad about when i became vegan was that i thought i could never eat chocolate and ice cream again. but chocolate with more than 70% cocoa is vegan and you can buy soya-ice cream in nearly every store in austria. another good thing: the three biggest traders of soya-products in autria produce their products out of austrian soya and not out of soya from brasil.
besides concentrating on what you can eat, you should also keep your eyes open for vegan alternatives, there are a lot more than we can think of and they're mostly good at taste.

of course we've got fast food in austria too, but since i've been to the u.s. 5 times now (whole east-coast from massachusetts down to florida), i can say it's not that much as in other on countries.
i live in a town with 300.000 people and we got like 4 mcdonald-restaurants and one burger king, i guess that's not that much. what i really appreciate about mcdo is the fact, that the use a different chip-pan for their fries and an other one for their nuggets and other stuff, so i can enjoy my french fries there.

we've got a lot of vendors of hot dogs and especially "döner kebap" (you know what that is???) where someone usually just gets meat to eat, but most dönerkebaps are available in a vegetarian variety and all restaurants do have at least 5 meals that are vegetarian too.

but there is still a difference between vegetarian and vegan. in restaurants they use eggs or milk (sauces) for their vegetarian meals, so going out with my family can be hard sometimes. i never complain about it, because i made my own free decision about it and i am the one to live with the consequences, so sometimes i just have to keep up with having a salad.
i' ve got to state now, my family and especially my mother is v ery understanding and try to help me where they can.
when i visit my parents once in a month, they get me soy-milk, they even started to read through ingredients-lists too to be sure i can eat the food. my mother then always cooks vegan for the family or does an extra portion in vegan variaty for me.
same with my sisters and friends, they always take care of me and i really appreciate that.

good thing i austria: we've got lots of biological farming in all our country, so it's always easy to get cheap and freh fruits and vegetables. when i want to go eat, i go to my vaf vegan restaurant, where you get a whole meal for just 5 euro or order pizza without cheese (once the waitress even laughed at me for that.)

last thing steph: bout that fish thing. when i still was vegetarian, filipino people often asked why i would not eat. then i said it was because of the meat. their aswer: it's cut in such tiny pieces, you can't even see them or you pick out those pieces Very Happy
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 pm

I have been a vegetarian my entire life. My parents practice Hinduism, so both of them are also vegetarian. They raised my sister and I the same way,t his made is very easy both of us to remain vegetarian.

I have tried being vegan but living in the dorms in school, there is barely enough vegetarian options in the cafeteria and If i go vegan i would be eating the same thing everyday.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 am

Oldgospelchoir- That's interesting. If I ever have kids, they'll definitely be vegetarian from birth, hah. You should set up a petition or something to get your school to offer better vegetarian options.

Grazer- Thanks for the responses and the info. I wasn't aware that chocolate with more than 70% cocoa was vegan, good to know. Like I said, I can see myself eventually taking the step to become vegan, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. My family is also pretty good at making me a veg substitute- spaghetti sauces, fake gravy, buying soy milk & fake meat-type products. Some of them completely understand why I am vegetarian, but despite what I have tried to tell them, don't really comprehend the necessity for veganism. So I can only imagine trying to help them make a vegan meal! I recently found a new restaurant in my general are that's fairly new, it's all vegan, but not super health food vegan, they make the kind of food that anyone would want to eat, but it happens to be vegan. Things like burgers, wings, pizzas, a po' boy sandwich, really good stuff. I can only imagine how much more difficult it must have been to be vegan twenty or thirty years ago, what with less people knowing what that meant, less options at the grocery store...And no, I haven't heard of a "donerkebap" before...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Dunno if this works but perhaps some ideas for some vegan food? Some of this looks damn tasty and produced by one Chris Hannah of Propagandhi.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=147053&id=683076719&ref=nf

Certainly makes me think about taking the next logical step to Veganism (veggie for 6 years.) They are also giving away Vegan food tomorrow at the uni as part of a green week we are having. So will be checking that out.

My only problem is I love to travel and it is hard enough to keep to being a vegetarian in some places let a lone strictly vegan. So still lots to consider.
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 pm

@kieran

yes it is really hard to stay vegan on vacation, espcecially when backpacking in developing countries.

my next step would be to do photosynthesis and not to eat anything anymore^^
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:39 pm

[quote="Grazer"]@kieran

yes it is really hard to stay vegan on vacation, espcecially when backpacking in developing countries.

my next step would be to do photosynthesis and not to eat anything anymore^^[/quote

haha. but food tastes so good!

by the way, has anyone else heard about this thing- some scientists are trying to figure out a way to make meat from animals' stem cells. if it works out eventually, they would be able to take stem cells from a pig, multiply them, and people could eat bacon, without killing the animal in the first place. interesting concept.
Back to top Go down

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:15 pm

yes, food really tastes good =) but drinking is not so bad either

i don't think i would eat synthetical meat, it really sounds gross. and after all, it's origin is still an animal.
but gene-technics is always very controverse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010   2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next