DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

if TGA covered Springsteen

Go down 
+24
Prisoner
xstevenbx
Bigtittykitty
ilockyer
cockypessimist
Ryan
WWD4D?
DaveSavedTheDay
Holland
Shallow
drifter69
MKULTRA
andy.mac
Stalls_Standing
Jay
sarahjay
thecosmickid
steph
simo
AmandaC.
ksupilot
e7c
saint
steady now steady now
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

if TGA covered Springsteen Empty
PostSubject: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:38 am

Ok, so we know that some in the band are tired of the Springsteen references, but as the band has covered Tom Petty songs, I am wondering which Springsteen songs would be good ones for the Gaslight Anthem to play (Brian solo has covered Backstreets and Atlantic City).

So, taking into account tempo, lyrics, the band's own sound, the potentially bluesy take, and so on, here are the only Springsteen songs I think would really suit the Gaslight Anthem:

Souls of the Departed [with the harmonica replaced by Alex. R.'s guitar]
Lucky Town
Rosalita
Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?

You will notice that I haven't picked the most iconic Springsteen songs, as they are best left to the Boss. My two top choices come from the unjustly neglected 'Lucky Town', a near solo effort.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
saint
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 2:17 pm

rosalita is the perfect choise. I'll add "Spirit in the night" and "jackson cage"
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 2:48 pm

The Ghost of Tom Joad
Back to top Go down
ksupilot
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Tougher Than The Rest would be pretty sweet.

The Promised Land

Hungry Heart
Back to top Go down
AmandaC.
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AmandaC.

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I think it woul be awesome if they were to cover Darkness On The Edge Of Town, or maybe even Radio Nowhere. Now that, my friends, Would be very intriguing!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:47 am

New York City Serenade
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:40 pm

if i remember correctly, alex rosamilia said in an interview once that "rosalita" was probably his favorite springsteen song. so that might be a good choice.
i like springsteen, but im not familiar enough with his stuff to suggest songs for TGA to cover, although at this point, i would say they're probably not going to be playing more of his songs. doesn't really do much to distance themselves from the constant references.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 pm

I think they could do "prove it all night really" good and I'd love to hear them play "Born to run". "Rosalita feels like something they could play too. What is most probable right now though would be "Detroit Medley" since they're not actually Springsteen songs.
However much I want them to cover Springsteen I don't think it'll happen until their springsteen-media-hysteria has ended
Back to top Go down
sarahjay
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sarahjay

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm

I don't think it would suit TGA, but, nonetheless, I would love to hear Brian sing "My Hometown." I think the song would suit his voice perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:22 am

I'd love to hear Brian sing, "The Angel." The band would work well with "Radio Nowhere" also.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:27 am

I think 'Glory Days' would be pretty sweet
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 6:14 am

I haven't heard a huge amount of Springsteen's stuff but from what I've heard, lyrically I would say Cover Me or I'm Goin' Down.

The romantic side of both these songs and story telling side of I'm Goin' Down would suit pretty well.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm

i think No Surrender would be the ideal choice. TGA would bring back that great rhythm guitar on the album. and Brian sounded fantastic when he sang it with Bruce.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 6:34 pm

andy.mac wrote:
I haven't heard a huge amount of Springsteen's stuff but from what I've heard, lyrically I would say Cover Me or I'm Goin' Down.

The romantic side of both these songs and story telling side of I'm Goin' Down would suit pretty well.

lyrically it would be rosalita
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am

"where the bands are" would be awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 pm

There's an alternate version of Ties That Bind from a 78 soundcheck
that I think really suits the band. Of course 90% of Springsteen fans
wouldn't know it's a Springsteen song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQaKyiSxdbk

As
for officially released Springsteen songs, with out being too well no
known, there's Candy's Room, Saint in the City, Crush On You (for a fun
encore spot), the recently released All The Way Home, or a done in what
the Ramones style would sound like Hungry Heart. I've never heard, by
anyone, a really hard rock Dancing in the Dark that I think TGA could
do well.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 pm

I agree with Radio Nowhere that would be cool. A British band called White Lies covered Dancing in the Dark at Glastonbury (i think) last year. Im sure TGA could do a better job though.
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm a huuuuuuuge Bruce fan and grew up surrounded by the lyrics of the Boss. I legit couldn't really pick a song that I'd want to hear Gaslight play because any of them would be just... beyond brilliant.

I guess I'd have to say Rosie, just because of how it's a great dancing and party song.

I'd love to hear Brian do a solo version of Thunder Road though..
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
WWD4D?
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WWD4D?

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:20 am

I'd quite like to hear a version of Jackson Cage.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 pm

I'd like to see Brian do an acoustic cover of Mansion on the Hill or Fade Away. Maybe wouldn't really suit his voice but it would sound different.
Back to top Go down
cockypessimist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cockypessimist

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm

IDK why but for some reason I've wanted to really hear GA's take on Bruce's "Racing in the street". Just think Brian could kill it lyrically, and think the guys could add something to the music with a full band. I could just be crazy tho

Rosalita would be great to hear them do live in a breakdown with Say I Won't
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Thundercrack maybe instead of Rosie? Or how about County Fair? A song that's really not well known but they could do something with. Open All Night might work well too.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 4:23 pm

better days,can see gaslight doing a real rocker to this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
Bigtittykitty
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Do you guys not remember that they covered im on fire?
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Bigtittykitty wrote:
Do you guys not remember that they covered im on fire?

I was thinking the same thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: if TGA covered Springsteen   if TGA covered Springsteen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

if TGA covered Springsteen
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next