DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello from NYC

Go down 
+2
Scarlett
fullofowls
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fullofowls
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
fullofowls

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 9:20 am

Hello everybody! I'm Olga from New York. I'm 19 and currently muddling my way through college.

I was clicking around on youtube a few weeks back and discovered TGA. And now I am totally in love Hello from NYC Icon_biggrin

Hmm... let's see... what else about me? I'm a huge science fiction fan-- TV and books. Currently working my way through Farscape and the last seasons of Stargate SG-1 (already finished SGA). My other favorite band at the moment is Carbon Leaf. I like punk rock and folk and classical music. Right now I am listening to Rachmaninov's 2nd over and over again... It is really beautiful.

I have a very peculiar sense of humor. The explanation for my screenname is the link in my signature. I laughed so hard I gave myself a stomachache.

I speak Russian-- or rather, my mother speaks to me in Russian and I reply in some godawful mix of Russian, English, and whatever language I am learning at the moment. Right now that is German, though I took four years of Latin in high school (and don't remember a word of it, though I loved it at the time).

I volunteer a lot and am very interested in free speech, gay rights, global warming, things like that. I tend to rant a little when I get onto a sensitive subject Hello from NYC Icon_redface

And, um, I never shut up. As you may have noticed.
Back to top Go down
Scarlett
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Scarlett

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:39 am

Hello from very far away Hello from NYC Icon_biggrin I'm Scarlett Hello from NYC Icon_smile
Do you speak Russian fluently? That's so cool! I'm studying it at school and although Russia is our big neighbour, I find the language soo hard, yet very beautiful Hello from NYC Icon_smile
Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am

welcome Olga! you seem to have a lot of interests, which is really cool. good to see 19-year olds can still be active and keep up with political issues. that age group tends to be pretty apathetic

what are some folk artists you like? i'm a big fan of folk and always looking for recommendations
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Olga welcome to the forum, you really have quite a crazy lists of interests... I I just moved back from Germany and have already forgotten almost everything I knew! I have never heard of Carbon Leaf... any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Welcome Olga!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
fullofowls
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
fullofowls

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm

AAAGH. I just spent ages hunting down Youtube links for good Carbon Leaf songs and my favorite folk artists, and then I clicked the button for the smileys because the elephant smiley is funny-- and everything I typed vanished.

I'm too frustrated to go through all that copypasta again, so a quick summary:

Jukebox Romeo: off the top of my head, I've got Jim Malcolm, Stan Rogers, Capercaillie, Loreena McKennitt (who is rather new-agey, but don't run away screaming, she has an incredibly beautiful voice)

And e7c: if you only ever listen to one Carbon Leaf song, make it 'Desperation Song'. If you feel like a few more, try 'Life Less Ordinary' and 'What About Everything' and 'The Lake of Silver Bells' and... actually, just about all of them. Even the worst of their songs are great.

And now because of those all those links I was hunting down, I have 'Barrett's Privateers' by Stan Rogers stuck in my head. Go listen to it. If I have to spend the rest of the night singing "WE'D FIRE NO GUNS, SHED NO TEARS-- NOW I'M A BROKEN MAN ON A HALIFAX PIER" at the top of my lungs, so do you!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 12:41 pm

fullofowls wrote:
Hello everybody! I'm Olga from New York. I'm 19 and currently muddling my way through college.

I'm a huge science fiction fan-- TV and books.

Welcome. It's always good to have new people on board (hey, an unintended pun).

I like my Sci-Fi as well, but I'm a bit picky, espcecially when it comes to aliens. As for your avatar, I really, really like 'Firefly', which I discovered a few months ago after seeing 'Serenity'. I bought the DVD box set and am just over half way through.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

Hello from NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from NYC   Hello from NYC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from NYC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Board :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: