DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Washington review by Washington Post

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Washington review by Washington Post Empty
PostSubject: Washington review by Washington Post   Washington review by Washington Post Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 2:58 pm

brief, but sweet (I made this a separate thread, so as not to detract from the fan review in the other DC thread)

-------

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/10/the_gaslight_anthem_live_last.html

The Gaslight Anthem: Live Last Night

By Chris Klimek

Look, Bruce Springsteen and Joe Strummer didn't invent this stuff, either. The greased hair and leather and the overdriven takes of "Mad Men"-era rock standards already had a blanket of dust on them by the time The Boss and The Clash got around to them.

Jersey pomade-punks The Gaslight Anthem are the most persuasive current exponents of this tradition, and they don't hide it. Hell, they called their latest album "The '59 Sound." At a sold-out 9:30 Club last night, they ripped through that nostalgic long-player in its near-entirety, frontman Brian Fallon balling up his handsome face to yowl about redemption and car crashes and good girls in trouble with archaic-sounding names like Gale and -- of course! -- Mary. Otis Redding and even Tom Petty were duly quoted or name-checked, and bits of The Clash's "Straight to Hell" and The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun" fit like an ancient pair of Levis interpolated into the Gas-lit originals.

More dredging of "The River," after the jump.

It's fair to ask how many bands can return to the well, or "The River," how many times. Fallon and Co. are true believers, and for 85 minutes, they made us believe, too. The skyscraping opener "High Lonesome" confronted the issue of pastichery head-on, declaring "I always kinds sorta wish I'm someone else." But their musicianship was sharp and aggressive, drummer Benny Horowitz's sure-footed rhythms forever threatening to morph into "Be My Baby."

There's plenty of time for them to find an original idea. Right now, they've got a fistful of singalong psalms and fervor you can't fake. It's Fallon's party, and he'll channel The Ronnettes if he wants to.

October 23, 2009
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

Washington review by Washington Post
Page 1 of 1