DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Now for something comepletly different...

Go down 
+4
Stalls_Standing
lynchyeatspizza
Jukebox Romeo
kieran
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Now for something comepletly different... Empty
PostSubject: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Well I like to think its completely different. Or at least different from your usual musical delights. I was really stuck what to go for with this mix tape. I didn't want to limit myself to a theme I just wanted to include a varied range of tunes to help you hear stuff you might not have considered before which in my mind is the whole reasons behind this project.

Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J3F8QPBI

Welcome to the City of Thieves – Sonic Boom Six -
I love this band for many reasons.They are possibly the hardest working band in the uk. Have a great DIY ethos and help support a lot of independent acts here in the UK. This song is from the newest album which is by far there best yet. A complete mash up of different sounds punk, hip hop and grime combine to make some very interesting tunes. This is just the
short opener.

Dead Man Smoking – Adrian Sherwood –Veteran producer takes a stab at producing ambient elctro reggae. I went through a bit of a phase of getting a wee bit high and this tune just used to sit rather well after a few smokes so has a fond place in my heart. Great to chill to regardless of state of mind.

Erdi - Ali Farka Toure - The king of dessert blues at his best. This album was released posthumously. He lead the way for Malian music and brought it to mainstream attention. This song I feel is the best example of his raw hypnotic take on blues music.

Yoolelle Maman – Baaba Maal – What a voice! Most of Baaba’s output is pure Senegalese pop. However his album ‘Missing You’ was recorded acoustic and live in a village in Senegal if you listen closely during this track a cock crows and throughout the album you here crickets chirping in the background or kids playing. I love this little factor as it makes the album somewhat pure without any interference with studio wizardry etc that his latter output contains. What makes this song for me is the inclusion of the Kora playing the lead over this which is possibly on the most stunning sounding instruments in existent.

Allah Kognuman Don - Kokanko Sata – I have only recently discovered this gem. Simple to the core but for me this simplicity is what carries this tune.

Broken by the Wheel – Crazy Arm – Crazy arm are a local band from my uni town Plymouth made up of ex members of No Comply who you may know. Twisted political country punk is the only way I can sum this up. Felt I had to get a small unknown British band thrown into the mix!

Golden Brown – Drive Like Jehu – Possibly the best post hardcore band to ever roam the earth. This is one of those songs I simply love for no other reason that the main guitar riff sits really well with me. If that makes any sense.

Arming Eretria – Future of the Left – How you describe this is beyond me. Saw these guys supporting Against me! And was blown away by how heavy they sounded as a three piece. I love the quiet intro and then how that riff just comes along and slams you in the face hence its inclusion in this mix.

Que Sera – Wax Talior – Nice little ambient piece with some great sampling.

The Wagon – Dinosaur Jr - There is something about J Masics playing that makes me want to pick up a guitar turn up the distortion up and play extremely loud. I love his style on some songs the guitar lines scream out other times its just wonderfully sludgy. Its just very very good alt rock it doesn’t get much better Billy Crogan can go do one.

Soon – My bloody Valentine – Loveless is my all time absolute fave album. Kevin Shields is an underrated guitar genius. Just listening to loveless is a blissful aural experience of reverse reverb goodness. Beautiful noise is another way to put it. This MP3 will never give you an idea of how textured the sound is or its depth. I love coming home and just laying down and listening to the album but particularly this song with its more loose up tempo beat.

Helpless – Sugar – Anther great alt rock anthem by none over than Husker Du’s Bob Mould.

Teenage Riot – Sonic Youth - You will either love or hate Sonic Youth. I love their use of completely off the wall tuning and making them sound so good. There output has varied considerably but I feel this is one of their best songs and its not completely off kilter like their other stuff.

Chinchilla – This Town Needs Guns – Anther great gem of the independent music scene in Britain. The guitar melodies are what attract me to this song its so very intricate. They are similar to the band Toe who I included in my previous mix tape for the board both bands are well worth checking out further.

Watch Song – Shellac – An angry song for you all

Uptight (Everything’s Alright) – Stevie Wonder - I was brought up listening to reggae and soul as a kid and the next three songs are songs that have stayed with me through until now and stand out to me as great soul tunes. They reflect a certain period of musical history but are still timeless classics that can be listened to today and still hold their own.

In the Midnight Hour – Wilson Picket – see above

What’d Say – Ray Charles – see above

Just Like Honey – The Jesus and Mary Chain - A great pop song but with a grungy kinda twist. A band I very much like. Most of you have probably seen this song at the end of ‘Lost in Translation.’

Queen Bitch – Seu Jorge – Seu Jorge writes fantastic Brazilian pop songs with samba percussion etc . If any of you have seen the film ‘Life Aquatic’ you will know where this song comes from. For those that don’t in the film Seu Jorge plays a character frequently playing striped down Brazillian versions of David Bowie songs on a battered acoustic guitar. An album was then released alongside the OST for the film. Its simply fantastic even in Portugese Bowie sounds great.

Last edited by kieran on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 pm

cool man, looking forward to it. and the Future of the Left song caught my eye from the description, so i looked it up on youtube...awesome song. the guitar's so brutal when it first kicks in. definitely gonna check out more from these guys
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:30 pm

If you like them check out the singers previous band Mclusky they have some similar heavy riffs on songs such as 'without MSG I am nothing' and 'Icarus Smicarus'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFOpifdJXcs&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L960Yh-NF88
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 4:34 am

Looking good. Heard of only 7 of the Artists, and only heard 2 of the songs. Should be some new discoveries!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 am

Hi-5 on the Crazy Arm track!
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 8:13 am

90 views and no comments come on I would love to hear some feedback.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 pm

well yesterday i went through it for the first time and i really love the fact, that you put several black artists and even some world music on it. cool

the track that caught my ear (can you say it like that???) would probably be this one:
Allah Kognuman Don - Kokanko Sata
even though i can't understand a word Wink

oh and i love the song by stevie wonder!!!

more after i've heard through it several times
til then, michael
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 5:37 am

fuck yes jesus and the mary chain are great
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 am

You heard them before then? Psychocandy is an awesome album of grungy noise pop goodness. Their over albums just cant quite live up to it which is a shame.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:45 am

First song - BRILLIANT!

The second one is interesting! Should I have my hashpipe out for this one? ;-)

And thanks for some J&MC! Cccclllaaassssiiiicccc!

EDIT - Wow, I am LOVING this mix dude! You have some crazy awesome varied tastes!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm

I like that your mix includes a ton of different songs.

I can't say I enjoyed all of them, Ali Farka Toure, Baaba Maal, Kokanko Sata, those songs didn't really do anything for me, but not every song is the kind of song that you immediately appreciate, maybe its just so different from what I usually listen to that I'll enjoy it more after a few listens.

My favorite song was probably the Future of the Left song, thats a good song to rock out, yell along and get out your frustration to. I also likedDinosaur Jr, Wilson Pickett, I like the Sonic Youth song a lot- I never really cared much either way about them, but maybe I should give them another try.

All in all, the songs I really liked were probably the less diverse tracks on the mix, but I like that you put a whole bunch of stuff I've never heard of on your mix.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Thats cool I appreciate that some "world" music isnt to every bodies taste and thats fine. Rather someone at least listened to it and made their mind up than not at all you know?

Also Kropo hash pipe is optional but certainly helps. Knew you would like the mix. I can up the Adrian Sherwood album if you want its pretty swish.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Wouldnt mind some more feedback guys!
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 pm

I have it downloaded, I just haven't listened to it fully through yet. I haven't heard of about half of the groups on thetape. And the people I know of I haven't ever listened to, so there should be some new gorups to check out after this.

Although the song I have heard, Wilson Pickett, is great, so kudos on that.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Cheers appreicate it I wasn't having a go at anyone either thanks to those that have listened.

Just relaised in the part with the soul songs I should have had some Marvin guy any song from ''whats going on" would have done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now for something comepletly different...   Now for something comepletly different... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Now for something comepletly different...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Mix Tapes-
Jump to: